Samsung Electronics America Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

2.8
Samsung Electronics America CEO YH Eom
YH Eom
Pros
Cons
  • "Poor work life balance during certain seasons(in 147 reviews)

• "Cultures are different and most of time to work with Korea in the night(in 70 reviews)

1. "MANAGER"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Salem, Tamil Nadu

I worked at Samsung Electronics America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Best relationship to everyone and easy conversation.

Cons

Stress because I have to complete the monthly target.

Advice to Management

My kind request to give less monthly target.

Samsung Electronics America2017-10-10

October 16, 2017Employer Branding

Thank you so much for your awesome review! We love hearing how much you enjoyed getting to know our fantastic employees and we will utilize your advice as we look for ways to improve. Sincerely, The Employee Engagement Team

2. "Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore

I worked at Samsung Electronics America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good exposure to fast track working culture.

Cons

No time to spend on family.

Samsung Electronics America2017-07-26

July 26, 2017Employer Branding

Thank you for your review. We have some of the most dedicated and hard-working individuals in the industry and we encourage them to take time off to relax and recharge. As you mentioned, we are a fast-paced tech company, and we recognize this can be a challenge. We take this topic seriously and strive to create a culture that encourages work-life balance. Sincerely, The Employee Engagement Team

3. "Overall good."

in Bangalore

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America

Pros

Good payer, perks, gifts, events, onsites, varied work oppurtunities.

Cons

Appraisals are not guaranteed to be fairest although it varies with ability/attitude of managers. Work pressure sometimes. Time strict. No work from home.

Advice to Management

Please appraise people better.

Samsung Electronics America2011-08-19
  4. "Love the Pace, Innovation & People."

Current Employee - Director, Corporate Strategy in New York, NY

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working in the Tech industry is exciting, however working in Samsung in the Tech industry is such a great experience given its Global reach and ranking. On top, we have great people & teams. For instance Product Innovation or Incubators that focus on bringing the latest innovation to the market. If you love fast pace, innovation then this is the place for you.

Cons

Given the speed of how we move in the Tech industry, we have a fast paced organization. It is true- it is not for everyone.

Samsung Electronics America2019-10-17
  5. "Great place to be in... but it is not for everyone"

Current Employee - Director of Strategy & Transformation in Ridgefield Park, NJ

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a very dynamic and fast-paced environment that will keep you on your toes most of the time. The Strategy & Transformation team cuts across all business units, so it provides an excellent opportunity to learn about all of Samsung America (a $30+ Billion subsidiary). The team reports directly to the CEO, so the exposure to C-Level and senior management is unmatched. The head of the Strategy team truly cares... for each team member's development. She will seek coaching/mentoring opportunities, as well as providing the right exposure to senior leadership. There are three main types of projects the team works with: executing CEO strategic/tactical requests, planning business direction and growth areas with a 12-60 month outlook, and managing multi-functional projects that cut across two or more business units.

Cons

Working for the CEO's office can become very demanding. The team is expected to work at lightning speed (perhaps the fastest compared to the rest of the organization). Members among the Strategy & Transformation team are expected to be high-performers that can deliver within regular working hours, which occasionally can add significant pressure. However, this prevents members from working overtime or weekends... (adding to the work/life balance). The organization is highly siloed, so cross-team collaboration becomes a big challenge. Because it is a subsidiary, many *big* decisions are made in HQ (in Korea). This adds bureaucracy and slows down the business at times, or reduces the empowerment of locals. Systems/tools are mostly developed by an affiliate. These tools are tedious, unintuitive, and a headache to most employees.

Advice to Management

Reduce bureaucracy, streamline processes, and adopt mainstream IT productivity tools.

Samsung Electronics America2019-10-16
  6. "Ok"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Ridgefield Park, NJ

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots to do, great experience, good benefits

Cons

Over worked, no vision

Advice to Management

Stick to the strategy and don’t re do each time executives come from Korea

Samsung Electronics America2019-10-17
  7. "Great place to work/good pay"

Former Employee - Senior CPU Performance Architect in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Electronics America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lot's of cool projects, good work life balance

Cons

Not much to say, overall had a good experience

Samsung Electronics America2019-10-09

"Scale/Scope environment; provides long-term marketability if the employee opts out eventually"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Pros

Results orientation and hard driving organization. This is listed as a pro as it has been a good career lesson to be developed in this company. It has also to a certain degree, implied strong internal peers and teammates. Generally those that lack quality work product or accountability in delivering….get phased out (by their own decision to opt out or by being managed out). That said, yes, it is a hard-driving... company, but it has pushed me as a professional and I am working alongside those that are equally committed/accountable for the most part. Strong benefits Strong bonus (comparative to industry peers) Opportunity and white space to elevate/innovate: unique landscape in that there is a lot of white space for functions to elevate. Partly due to being overly focused on results and driving the business at a high pace (we launch a lot of products and quickly). That said, there is not much time historically to drive innovation vs execution (innovation in SUPPORT functions like HR – not the product GTM orgs). This means there can be hidden opportunities (meaty ones) for the right person with the right timing. It also assumes the person is indexed appropriately to champion and push forth in the new area though. We just haven’t had the luxury to fully scale/build out certain functions (internal focused corp services) to a degree of our competitors (Amazon, Google, Microsoft). From that optics, it can be a tremendous opportunity if it is matched with the right person, timing and internal appetite and stakeholder buy-in to champion it. Brand: it’s powerful to work for a brand like Samsung. It can be a career/resume builder in multiple ways. From an HR standpoint, selling Samsung and attracting talent is easy – but there is then also the task to ensure that they can thrive here (not just survive). For those that join the organization and are a short-term fit, it is a great resume builder. For those that join the organization and see us as their long-term home, there are lots of organic opportunities in hidden pockets.

Cons

Cons: Internal systems are extremely antiquated and handicapping. There can be a lot of transactional tasks + excess work/wasted work due to lack of appropriate systems. It is still frankly shocking. Fractured Processes: nothing here is linear and our processes are continually being built upon without the mindset of assessing if old processes are still necessary (no big picture integration to phase out what... has become obsolete). Internal job sizing assessments: people perform and get awarded with additional responsibility for “growth” – but it is also bc they are trusted to handle the task at hand due to their past work product. I have observed that people absorb multiple new workstreams and deliver, yet it is a battle to address job level and compensation. There is a lot of organic growth through additional R&R once people deliver and step up (i.e., proven performer =’s more scope added), but it is not a timely job sizing exercise by the compensation team to ensure employees are right-sized for the role they are performing in reality. There is a precedent of these things only being addressed once it is brought to light by leadership in an escalation. I have observed a trend top performers exiting the organization for more competitive right-sized job opportunities – which is truly unfortunate.

Samsung Electronics America2019-09-24

"Good role, not really management"

Current Employee - Field Sales Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Good pay Good benefits Free devices

Cons

Poor work life balance during certain seasons

Advice to Management

If we are working 6 days a week then we need time to complete admin work.

Samsung Electronics America2019-09-24

"HR Associate"

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Samsung’s SEA HQ has a tasty cafeteria that’s subsidized by the company with a plethora of healthy options that change daily. They offer a competitive benefits package.

Cons

Was a bit disappointed with the culture. Prior to joining I envisioned that as a tech leader Samsung would have a collaborative culture filled with innovation but that doesn’t seem to be the case within the HR. Not many friendly faces and deeply hierarchical structure.

Advice to Management

My suggestions include forging stronger relationships within the HR functions by having get togethers and time to connect with each other cross functionally at least once per quarter. There are also many contractors causing an invisible divide although some contractors are greater assets than the permanent management.

Samsung Electronics America2019-09-12

September 30, 2019People Experience

Thank you for your review. We have some of the most hard-working employees in the industry and we recognize how vital it is to have free time in order to connect and forge strong relationships. As you are a current employee, we recommend that you take advantage of our various Employee Resource Groups in order to connect and network with other employees across the business. Thank you so much for your feedback and please feel free to reach out to your HR Business Partner with any further concerns, as we strive to improve your experience at Samsung. Sincerely, Your Engagement Team

Found 795 reviews