Samsung Research America Reviews

Found 349 of over 476 reviews

3.9
Samsung Research America CEO Joon Lee
Joon Lee
Pros
  • "2: Decent salaries in cash and good benefits(in 26 reviews)

• "friendly work environment, lots of freedom(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "There is no stock for compensation(in 15 reviews)

• "Time difference with HQ in Korea(in 14 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech India

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Good

Aug 10, 2018 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work experience place to learn

Cons

No cons in my view

Sr. manager HR Ops

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at HRFeedback@sisa.samsung.com.

2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good for a Entry level software engineer

Mar 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Challenging work, Pays quite good

Cons

Bad management, restrictions on work hours, No transperancy among teams

Sr. manager HR Ops

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear you are not enjoying you time at SRA. Please email us at HRFeedback@samsung.com or via SRA Anonymous Box so that we can assist. Have a great day.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Samsung

Jan 11, 2021 - Engineer in Noida
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice Working Culture Good Environment for learning

Cons

45 hours a week bound

Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at SRA. We appreciate your feedback and will share it with the appropriate teams. Have a great day!

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good when working with US teams but bad when working with HQ

Sep 15, 2021 - Staff Data Engineer in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Good work life balance, 2. Descent pay.

Cons

1. Communication and collaboration with HQ is pain. Its either their way or no way. Decisions in HQ are taken in whim. 2. Lack of longterm vision and business clarity. Probably because not many people stay there for longterm. 3. Disconnect between Senior management and employees. 4. Very less collaboration across different teams.

Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello there. Thank you for taking the time write us a review. We appreciate your feedback and will share it with the leadership team. We invite you to use our internal channels like Anonymous Box and HRFeedback@samsung.com if you have additional comments. Have a great day.

5. 3.0

Ok

Sep 14, 2021 - Senion Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent tech used and work/life balance.

Cons

Dominated by decisions taken from KR

Sr. manager HR Ops

Thank you for your feedback. We wish you the best in your future endeavors and appreciate you taking the time to write us a review.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Just ok

Sep 9, 2021 - Associate Director in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Not very intense and able to juggle family

Cons

Pay not great compared to fang

Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello there! Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We appreciate your feedback and encourage you to use our internal channels like Anonymous Box and HRFeedback@samsung.com if you have additional comments. Have a great day.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee

Pretty good deal

Aug 10, 2021 - Staff Engineer I in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The work environment is pretty chaotic, but people are very open to contributions. If some work sounds interesting, nobody is going to complain about you taking lead or tagging along to support and learn. If you're motivated and looking for high-impact work, you're not going to get many better opportunities than at Samsung. A lot of the work of pretty cool too. On some teams, you have no work-life balance. On engineering teams, it's largely up to you to decide your balance.

Cons

The focus is very much on short-term results, and it's not uncommon for projects to get side-lined by a big new product focus. The pay is low compared to FAANG, and we lose a lot of talent to FAANG. For better or worse, we're at the intersection of many other companies. Some of them limit us quite severely, and some of them give us opportunities you wouldn't see at pretty much any other company. Upper management (EVP and up) has no idea how to do software. You'll never see upper management, but you will feel the effects of their lack of foresight, usually in the form of unnecessary chaos. We are so dysfunctional as an organization. HR concerns are decided high up in HQ with little regard for what the impact would be at the working level. Sales and R&D have no clue how the other operates, which leads to hilariously impossible asks and low ability to leverage one another. We're deeply an R&D organization, but our product managers don't understand the R. (Not knocking on them, they're great people with often great ideas, but they're not staffed properly.) There is NO well-accepted way to justify efforts internally. It's not money, not quality, not research, not organizational alignment, not preparation for the future. If you have an idea, it better latch onto the crisis-of-the-season if it wants a fighting chance, or it better stay out of sight of management.

Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will be shared with SRA Leadership team. Have a great day!

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Review

Aug 21, 2021 - Director in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

attacking constant global challenges for all spectrum of consumer electronics business

Cons

big and frequent swings of strategic directions by different leadership

Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We appreciate your feedback and will share it with SRA's leadership team. If you have additional feedback or comments, please email us at HRFeedback@samsung.com. Have a great day.

9. 2.0

Frustrating experience for R&D role

Aug 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The corporate culture generally seemed friendly and supportive

Cons

The executive who hired me (and hired a bunch of other folks around the same time for a new team) got moved to another role very shortly thereafter (which apparently he had not expected), and the acting management was extremely ineffective in helping us to develop a productive position within the company. My honest impression is that the acting management never really wanted to be supportive of the new team, and never seriously intended to help us become successful. Or perhaps just didn't know how. We were instructed to collaborate with a team in South Korea, and we put everything into the effort, but guidance from that team was also not supportive, and not well considered. Again, I don't think they seriously intended to be supportive. I'm referring to management folks here primarily, not the team members, who generally tried to be helpful. But even in conversations with team members who seemed helpful, the communication difficulties created very substantial barriers. I think the bottom line is that key management in California and also in South Korea had neither the desire nor the time nor the skill set to understand what we could contribute or to convey to us what they wanted us to contribute. Moreover, on at least one occasion the California management made false statements about what they had previously asked us to do. It was a very poorly managed situation.

Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time at SRA. We wish you the best in your next chapter. Have a great day.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great for being a mid artist

Aug 3, 2021 - 3D Artist in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- the pay - work from home - food

Cons

- Communication is sometimes bad HQ to SRA

Sr. manager HR Ops

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to write us a review. It's great to hear you are enjoying your time at SRA. Have a great day!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 349 Reviews