Samsung Research America Reviews

3.8
Samsung Research America CEO Joon Lee
Joon Lee
Pros
Cons
  • "There is no cons to work for SRA(in 14 reviews)

• "HQ in Korea dictates the path forward so it feels a little beauracratic and "this is how we do it" mentality(in 13 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Very happy to be working here"

5.0
    Current Employee - Research Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time for more than a year

Pros

They are genuinely seeking to improve the experience of employees. Salary and benefits are generous (like many companies in Silicon Valley). They've bred a great culture in my team, as I get along well with my coworkers and manager.

Cons

Some business decisions can be opaque and IT systems convoluted due to HQ being in Korea.

July 30, 2020Sr. manager HR Ops

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate your feedback. Have a great day!

2. "Good"

5.0

I worked at Samsung Research America

Pros

Good work experience place to learn

Cons

No cons in my view

August 23, 2018Sr. manager HR Ops

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at HRFeedback@sisa.samsung.com.

3. "Samsung"

Former Employee - Engineer in Noida

I worked at Samsung Research America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice Working Culture Good Environment for learning

Cons

45 hours a week bound

January 12, 2021Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at SRA. We appreciate your feedback and will share it with the appropriate teams. Have a great day!

4. "Good company to gain research experience"

Former Employee - Research Intern in Plano, TX

I worked at Samsung Research America full-time

Pros

Lots of interesting projects, colleagues are knowledgable

Cons

no free food, working overtime

5. "A Decent Company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Samsung Research America full-time

Pros

Good WLB, Delicious Food and Interesting projects

Cons

Decision making seemingly from Korea

January 12, 2021Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello and thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time at SRA. We wish you the best . Have a great day.

6. "Mixed Experience"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Samsung Research America full-time

Pros

Stability, friendly people, great perks like food and campus

Cons

Busywork, lots of corporate politics, no stock offered.

7. "Decent place to do research"

Current Employee - Research Engineer

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time

Pros

Allows you to publish papers

Cons

Almost no control on projects

January 12, 2021Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello and thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. Should you have any additional suggestions please email us at HRFeedback@samsung.com or send us a comment via Anonymous Box. Have a great day!

"Perfect, except for total comp"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Samsung Research America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent overall work environment. Management has best intentions (except for total compensation) for the employees and is trying hard to do whatever it can - from accommodating everyone's particular situation (within reason), to be fair with promotions, and so on. The projects are challenging and interesting. Plenty of smart and nice people to work with and the level of internal-project collaboration is as good as anywhere. Having worked in a couple other major US tech companies, I can say that politics is less than elsewhere (and is unavoidable as it is part of human nature) and there is much better meritocracy. As tech is a highly competitive and global industry, there is pressure for delivering results, but expectations are not unreasonable. Benefits, such as PTO, health, 401K, are very competitive for the industry. No issue working with people from Korea - it is getting better as rough edges are smoothened with time, trust and understanding are being built, and, for the most part, the folks from Korea are polite and professional. Overall, a solid company to work for and a great work environment.

Cons

Total compensation is less than in the industry - both in systems/HW related projects where the likes of Apple, Qualcomm, Intel pay 15%-30% better (even Huawei used to do so) and, especially, in SW related projects where Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, and many others pay waaaay better. Some brain-dead, counter-productive, penny pinching and distrust towards the employees also started in 2018 - seems like some finance person had to create some stupid deliverable for himself.

January 12, 2021Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello and thank you for your feedback. It's great to hear you enjoyed your time at SRA. We really appreciate your detailed feedback and will be sure to share it with the appropriate teams. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

9. "Cool projects. Management & operation could be better."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time

Pros

* Projects are cool, and Samsung is genuinely trying to improve * Good brand - internationally recognized

Cons

* Okay pay, not as competitive as FAANG, and no stocks * WLB is off, I've seen folks having to work on weekends & over the Thanksgiving * A lack of care and connection: if you don't reach out, others don't care about you * Onboarding HRs seem very inexperienced * HQ in Korea rules everything; the lack of clarity in communication often leads to unnecessary rework

January 12, 2021Sr. manager HR Ops

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We appreciate your feedback and will share it with the team. Please feel free to email us at HRFeedback@samsung.com or submit a comment via Anonymous box if you have additional feedback. Have a great day!

"Depends on what you are looking for"

Current Employee - QA Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time

Pros

Good WLB if you can prioritize yourself Good culture if you are open minded and accepting Competitive salary if you have experience and can negotiate starting pay When office was open food was subsidized and affordable

Cons

My biggest headache as well as many other peers is our internal user facing IT support team is quite bad. The team comprises of junior individuals who are rude and dismissive. Their manager is very junior lady who has no idea what she doing and do not provide actual long term solutions but quick fix. This is not how technical service should be in a prestigious company like ours. Very sad.

December 7, 2020Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear you are enjoying your time at SRA. Regarding your comment about IT, please know that we have communicated your feedback to the team. We encourage you to give your IT related feedback and report any issues via IT’s ticketing system. Please contact us at HRFeedback@samsung.com or via SRA’s Anonymous Box should you have any additional SRA feedback. Have a great day!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 309 English Reviews