SayABC Employee Reviews about "slots"

Updated Nov 23, 2020

Found 34 of over 402 reviews

3.5
SayABC Owner Guan Wang
Guan Wang
Pros
  • "Good Pay, Bonuses & Communication(in 38 reviews)

• "Work from home and team communication(in 28 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The only downside I've experienced is the lack of bookings(in 41 reviews)

• "Not enough slots filled for classes(in 27 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "slots"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0
      Former Freelancer, less than 1 year

Good pay, hard to pick up hours

Nov 23, 2020 - English Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, easy lessons, lessons already prepared for you

Cons

Hard to get lesson slots, easily punished for declining lessons, no punishment for late students or no shows.

2. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Great company to work for

Jun 24, 2020 - Teacher in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lovely company to work for and great students.

Cons

Not enough slots filled for classes.

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

UK teachers caution: Pay not great, good for second job or supplementary work. Not full time!

Nov 8, 2019 - ESL Teacher in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Take on inexperienced online ESL teachers. I had teaching experience in the past, but no online ESL teaching and they took a chance on me. The whole application process is easy, interview was booked within a week and after presenting my qualifications I was able to start with trial classes. If you're starting out, I would absolutely recomend starting with Say ABC. The platform is easy to use, and the material interactive and fun for the kids. If like me, you can't work at the moment due to health or other issues but still want to be productive and work from home, this is a great way to begin and still feel like you're working.

Cons

PAY: It really isn't enough to live on, and so I have to sadly substitute with benefits. It's frustrating as this is the first time I've been so ill that I was unable to work without pain or fatigue or fainting, and I have been advised by my doctor to no longer work my hospital job due to health issues. However, the pay (for me is $13/hr) this isn't enough to live on, and when I first started I only earned $107/month! roughly £80. Despite having all my slots open currently, I only have 3 homerooms. Thats 6 classes a week, or $312/month. After bank charges and transfer costs, this comes to £250. LACK OF SUPPORT: I have tried to contact the company numerous times regarding some issues, and also to enquire about giving feedback more often as sometimes its hard to remember 3 lessons worth of feedback if a pupil has been interrupting the class or not paying attention, or perhaps not understood the lesson, i'd love to be able to alert the parents straight away so that they can practice in their own time. I also have been having issues with them regarding feedback, I'm always early with it, but the one time that my internet was being changed, I was late in giving feedback. I tried explaining this to them, but I still got my incentive cut. LACK OF HOMEROOMS/CLASSES: I have all my hours open, everyday. If you are in the UK like me, the only classes you can teach are the 9:40-12:10, 4 in total, as the saturday "early ones" are 2&3am UK time. For $13/hr, if I filled all the available classes everyday. (MIRACULOUSLY!!!) then I would in that month hypothetically earn $1456/£1136.76 and thats with every single day being filled and taking no breaks in between for the WHOLE MONTH!! This never happens by the way. The most i've earned like i said was £250. What can you do with 250? TRIAL CLASSES: If you somehow manage to get a locked trial class slot, and you teach it successfully and are able to do feedback on time, you get $15. However if you get no class assigned to you, you get only $5!!! I now don't like being booked for trial classes because i have cancelled plans, rearranged appointments to do the class, and you are there for the whole 40 minutes and get paid $5! I get scared of even doing my household duties as they say you stay by the computer. It's not just about a successful class being taught, it's also about the time the teacher wastes, and they don't acknowledge this. One of my home rooms finishes next week, and i'm so worried about what next. I have decided to take the hard decision of looking for other ESL jobs, as I don't want December, with all the expenses that come with it, to be like this.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0

Good Students

Aug 2, 2019 - Teacher in Hamilton, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Generally, the students are attentive and listen.

Cons

Even if you open all the slots you might not get all the classes you wish.

5. 1.0

No work, no classes

Aug 14, 2019 - English Teacher in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The few classes I have done, months ago, went very well. Lovely pupils.

Cons

For several months now none of my slots are being filled with classes. I have contacted the support team through Skype and email on several occasions however I am still not receiving classes. I am extremely frustrated as I turned down another job this summer as SAYABC promised me lots of work. I have done everything I can do ensure my slots get filled with classes; including opening slots for over 6 consecutive weeks and contacting Teacher support on so many occasions but it seems SAYABC are not interested in helping me

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good to avert financial crisis, or a second job, but not to make a comfortable living (in UK)

Jun 9, 2019 - Online English Teacher in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great learning platform which is interesting and fun for kids. This helps you keep kids interested. All class plans are made, on the platform and are always being improved/altered/corrected. The work is quite pleasant and fun, the kids are cute. It's ideal for someone who is willing to travel but doesn't need much money, or someone in a stop-gap, needing financial assistance. The staff seem to be nice. The general vibe is good. Great flexibility/work-life balance. Even though I have wrote just a little bit here compared to the cons, there is a lot to be said for it. These are really good things.

Cons

If like me, you live in a country like the UK, the pay isn't great. Actually, I need to claim benefits simultaneously because this work doesn't cover my living expenses. Well, except that phase when I worked every day for the best part of a month, then I was not eligible to claim because I exceeded the threshold, then. Let's do a quick calculation (based on UK time zone slot availability). In the UK, practicality speaking, you can do a maximum of 4 classes per day. That's if you're able to get ALL classes within a month, which would give you $1680/£1318 per month (not counting bank transfer fees, tax etc.). £1318 per month is ok, but probably not at the sacrifice of working every day. But it's still below a normal UK minimum wage already - notably, there are less hours though than a 40 hr work week in a 'normal job'. So, compromisingly, you decide to work a 6 day week which gives you $1440/£1130 . REMEMBER - that's if you somehow, miraculously have the full four 40m classes per day. Even though this is unlikely, it's still not that good, but it would get you through a hard time, in the UK. In reality last month I got $685/£573, but I must point out I took an extra 3 days off on one weekend (from my established norm of having every Sunday off). Even so, the way this work operates, we are not obliged to work any set hours, and we mark our availability. You could also look at this as being more-or-less an indication of what you might get if you took weekends off. Of course class allocation relies somewhat on merit and availability, but I do have a TESOL qualification, 4 years teaching experience in China, some mandarin speaking ability and a 100% satisfaction rating from parents. I generally leave the 4 slots marked available, 6 days per week. Also, what needs to be mentioned is other time outside classes. $15 seems good for a 40m class but there are other responsibilities. I generally try to spend within 20m to review class content before each class, planning how I will present it. Every trial and every third homeroom (normal class) requires class feedback of the pupils. You've got to try and write something efficiently, but meaningfully and tactfully. Especially if you had a naughty class, you might spend time carefully working feedback to get the point across without offending. Going from private tutoring in China where I would earn £34 per hour, with assistance in class, little responsibility outside of class time, not being required to give feedback, I cant help but wonder if money is being distributed appropriately within this business model. The demand over there for English teachers is relentlessly huge, and many are willing to pay good money, but the practicalities of making a living by teaching online with SayABC are not there. Not long ago, when you used to wait in a trial class queue, if it was a 'no-show' class, you would be paid a full standard class wage for your time ($15). Now it's been reduced to $5! I can kind of empathise because it is kind of not their fault if people do not show up. Then again, recently I had just 2 trials on a day, unusually, both were no-shows. Nonetheless, I had sacrificed a substantial amount of time, being in the house longer than I needed to be, not in the sunshine, setting up equipment, being responsible the night before, not going to a party or something... and my reward is $10 which is less than the UK minimum wage, but for 2 classes. And you have to sit around and wait for the entire class to earn each $5. A small point about another matter: I get the impression staff are unwilling/unable to give teacherly feedback advice to aid professional development. Once I felt I had a class go badly – it was so awkward. Any self-respecting teacher tries to assess what can be done next time, what went wrong, how to improve. When I contacted them, I expressed my desire to learn and improve, to review it and get help. That's what teachers do, they work together to become increasingly professional and competent. It is a mutually beneficial thing! I got the feeling they did not care about my professional development because they were unwilling to do this, or unwilling to find anyone who could help. I was assured I was a good teacher, which was nice, but not enough. I needed feedback of a teacher/specialist. Overall, working with SayABC can be a valid and practical move if you find yourself needing extra cash. But I would caution relying on it solely for your income. I feel bad/uncomfortable to say this as a current employee, but I think as a matter of principal it is important to be honest here. If you are UK-based, I think you will struggle less, financially, if you look at UK-based companies because they are more likely to pay an appropriate UK (£GBP) wage and then you will perhaps not have to claim benefits from the tax-payer’s pockets to get by. Even on standard ESL job sites, for teaching in China etc. they have some online-teaching jobs posted. Some of them seem to have a decent wage which will give you higher morale than what I currently experience as a worker who claims benefits. Ultimately the goal is to be self-sufficient, right?

4 people found this review helpful

International recruitment manager

Hi Teacher, Thanks for sharing your feedback here, we really appreciate your kind words.We will definitely take your suggestions into consideration and provide a better teaching environment for our amazing teachers!

7. 5.0

Great company

May 20, 2019 - Online English Teacher in Durban
      Business Outlook

Pros

The courseware is fun and interactive and helps the teacher to keep the kids learning while having fun.

Cons

You won't always be fully booked even when you open many slots.

International recruitment manager

Hi Teacher, thanks for sharing your feedback here. As always, we really do appreciate your feedback on areas for potential improvements or adjustments. We are glad that you love using SayABC platform. Happy teaching!

8. 5.0

SayABC Teacher

May 20, 2019 - Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are many reasons to work for SayAbc! I love travelling and have currently moved abroad but it is great to take your work and students with you! I've honestly never worked for such lovely, genuine people before. They really care about you, how you feel and it is such a privilege to be a tiny part of that organization. What makes it work...the students! To get to meet and teach the students is just fantastic! They love learning and are enthusiastic about it which just inspires you to give your all!

Cons

Not many at all. Not all of your slots are booked for when you have submitted them

International recruitment manager

Hi Teacher, Thanks for sharing your feedback here. We appreciate your kind words. We are glad that you are enjoying your teaching with SayABC. Happy teaching!

9. 4.0

Classes for teachers

May 20, 2019 - English Tutor in Port Elizabeth
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great teaching platform and good pay structure

Cons

There seems to be not enough students for the amount of teachers hired. New teachers get their slots filled first.

International recruitment manager

Hi Teacher, Thanks for sharing your feedback here. We appreciate your kind words.We will definitely take your suggestion into consideration and provide a better teaching environment for our amazing teachers!

10. 5.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

I love my job!

May 15, 2019 - Online English Teacher in Cape Town
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great kids, fun lesson content, nice hours, decent pay.

Cons

The more slots you open the more classes you get assigned (I work Saturdays). You lose homeroom classes if you take leave (and they take a while to rebuild again).

1 person found this review helpful

International recruitment manager

Hi Teacher, Thanks for sharing your thoughts here!We will definitely take your suggestion into consideration and provide a better teaching environment for our amazing teachers!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 34 Reviews