Secret Escapes Employee Reviews about "career progression"

Updated 13 Jan 2019

4.0
Secret Escapes Co-founder & CEO Alex Saint (no image)
Alex Saint
Pros
  • "Free food, free drink and socials(in 13 reviews)

• "You choose the best time to work, good managing, great people to work with(in 7 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "career progression"

Return to all Reviews

"sales exec"

I worked at Secret Escapes full-time

Pros

great working environment great people free food daily booze on fridays

Cons

no career progression low salary bad internal communications cliquey

Talent Administrator

Thank you for your post and for taking the time to write a glassdoor review about your time at Secret Escapes. We value all comments and will take your views on board. It’s lovely to hear that you enjoy the environment, the perks we have here at Secret Escapes, such as the yummy food in the kitchen and that the people you worked with are great - we think so too! Sorry to hear your comments about a lack of clear career progression, and around salaries – we benchmark our salaries against the market and do salary reviews annually. We also offer a variety of training and coaching sessions and we promoted 45 people internally in the first half of the year alone. Thanks for your comments around internal communications - we are working hard to ensure there is more consistent communications throughout the business, and will be launching our own intranet soon! We also have a new Internal Comms Executive who has joined the business to ensure our communications are frequent and relevant. With regards to your view of a “cliquey” environment, it would be really helpful to understand your experience. We would welcome an anonymous message to HR with anything that you would like to raise to help us consider this in an objective manner. We welcome any further views and we always endeavour to do our best to help our employees succeed and thoroughly enjoy work, so please do get in touch.

2. "working at secret escapes"

4.0

I have been working at Secret Escapes full-time

Pros

-free breakfast and snacks -flexible -company takes care of employees

Cons

-no clear career progression -impersonal salary review

Talent Administrator

Thank you for your post and for taking the time to write a glassdoor review about your time at Secret Escapes. We value all comments and will take your views on board. It’s lovely to hear that you enjoy some of the perks we have here at Secret Escapes, such as the yummy breakfast and snacks, our flexible approach and that we care about our employees – because we do! Sorry to hear your comments about a lack of clear career progression, and impersonal salary reviews – we benchmark our salaries against the market and do salary reviews annually. We also offer a variety of training and coaching sessions and we promoted 45 people internally in the first half of the year alone. If there are any specifics to your case that you would like to discuss then please do get in touch with a member of the HR Team!

"Good Start, Then Downhill From There"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Secret Escapes full-time

Pros

Good staff mix. Nice offices. Everyone is on the ball. Wear whatever you want to work. Breakfast and snacks are provided.

Cons

Very clicky - if the senior management like you, you'll do well. Enjoy making your life as difficult as possible if they want you out the door. If you don't live & breathe Secret Escapes 24/7, you are very much frowned upon. No career progression, get stuck in a rut.

Continue reading

Secret Escapes Response

Hi - Thanks for your feedback. We care about how our employees feel at work and hence we will take your views on board and add this to data that we collect in our employee surveys which help us gauge what's happening. We are passionate about Secret Escapes as a business and love to talk about our product. We expect work life to be challenging, rewarding and fun and we very much want employees that are invested in our vision to ‘inspire the world to escape’. We love to see colleagues excelling in their roles and are keen to promote where possible in the business. We highlighted our promotions in the business in an e-mail this month celebrating 45 individuals who made a step forward in their career with Secret Escapes. That’s a promotion for almost 10% of the workforce and a clear indicator that we both recognise and reward. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed some of the perks we have here at Secret Escapes such as our yummy breakfast and snacks for employees, our casual dress code and our fun, creative office environment. Secret Escapes is a fast paced place to work and as you said, our employees are always on the ball! We appreciate both the positive and constructive feedback you have given us and will take these comments on board to help shape an even better Secret Escapes.

"Overall very nice place to work, but no job progression and poorly managed"

I have been working at Secret Escapes

Pros

Free food and drink. Music is on all day, drinks on a Friday at 5pm, cakes on Monday. Not really many other benefits. Open door policy and easy access to the execs, when/if they're in the office.

Cons

Career progression very limited. Poorly managed, no one seems to know what's happening. Poor communication between departments and even between the execs. Large majority of people work from home, which is not how I would chose to run my business. People need to be at their desk, in the office, if work is to be done. Days go by with no senior management in the office. Again not the best way to run a business. The office is jam packed with people, working conditions are very tight and not ideal.

Continue reading

Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post this. While I'm really sorry to see you have a negative outlook and that we don’t appear to be living up to your expectations, I really appreciate your honesty. This response won’t solve the issues you have raised however, I do hope, you will stop by and have a chat with a member of the HR team so we can address your concerns in more detail. We have grown very fast and we could and should have done better with our communications. This is being addressed in a number of ways with all the teams and senior management and I hope you will see and experience the fruits of this work very soon. Unfortunately, due to the exciting fundraising which was pretty time consuming, Alex and Tom needed to be out of the office more often than usual. Not Ideal I know, but, we secured the right investment to help us all achieve the ambitious plans we have. Now it’s quietened down, we will be launching and running regular informal lunch sessions, which all staff will be invited to book a session and get to raise any concerns or just share ideas they may have. We are currently reviewing both the benefits and career progression opportunities and we have some exciting announcements coming soon. Regarding home working, there are some great benefits for lots of staff in our attitude to flexible working. I certainly understand your point and this style of working isn’t for everyone. Clearly we can do more to ensure we’re striking the right work/life balance and in January we hope that people won’t be able to resist coming into our new office where we will have lots more space with additional desks, meeting rooms and a Tiki bar! Thanks again for your time, we really appreciate your honest feedback.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.