Seven Investment Management Reviews

Updated 8 Dec 2020

3.2
Seven Investment Management Chief Executive Officer Dean Proctor (no image)
Dean Proctor
  1. "Changing, But Not Necessarily for the Bettter"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Wealth Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Seven Investment Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are genuinely nice people here who try to do the best for their clients and colleagues

Cons

Too much fawning to management and self congratulation.

2. "High turnover of staff"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Investment Management Associate

I worked at Seven Investment Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cant think of anything that sets it out from competitors

Cons

High Staff Turnover and limited pathways for development

3. "Worked with some very talented people"

Former Employee - Compliance in London, England

I worked at Seven Investment Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked with some very talented people

Cons

Some senior team members do a lot of micromanagement and it is not a very diverse place to work in

October 6, 2020HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback! We have been doing a lot of work with our Managers and Exec team recently as part of our culture programme to empower their staff to make decisions and get on with initiatives / projects and work. I'm sorry you experienced micromanagement during your time at 7IM, it is certainly not the management style across the business. We hold our hands up and admit that more needs to be done to ensure we have not only a diverse workforce, but also an inclusive one. This is the case with most Financial / Investment Management companies, but we are serious about doing something about this. We have a D&I strategy in place which we hope tackles this but are realistic and know that this does not happen overnight.

4. "Operations"

Former Employee - Operations in London, England

I worked at Seven Investment Management full-time

Pros

Fun place to work at

Cons

flat structure with little room to progress

October 6, 2020HR Manager

Thank you for your positive feedback. I am glad you found 7IM to be a fun place to work at. It's important people enjoy their time at work and with their colleagues as we spend most of our week at work! We have always had a relatively flat structure within the business to reduce bureaucracy and red tape with getting things done. Whilst there may not be physical levels you can move up within the business, we believe staff do have the ability to get involved in a variety of work to develop their knowledge / experiences and have the ability to get involved in more complicated / technical work which you may not get the chance to in other organisations.

"High Employee Turnover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Seven Investment Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary - company pays above the average salary rate for most roles. If your face fits you can progress further in your career.

Cons

High employee turnover. Lesson 101 in college was a company that has high staff turnover is a company that has poor management / leadership. The culture is who shouts the loudest will be listened too. Favouritism culture and witch hunt culture. HR always busy doing disciplinary / performance reviews for senior management; against personnel's who make honest mistakes that most companies would not bat an eye lid to or waste their time.

October 6, 2020HR Manager

Firstly, thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated. I just want to clarify that our current turnover is 16.54%. Our turnover is not very high at all, Private Sector Labour Turnover is usually 22.5% on average, or if you look at the size of our organisation, a business with approximately 250 - 500 staff would expect a turnover of 19.1% on average. Where there has been more movement / leavers within the business, it is of those who had been for the firm a long time and wanted to broaden their experience / felt it was the right time to explore new opportunities. I am sorry to hear you describing the culture as above. You may have been aware that the business has been going through a huge culture change programme with the arrival of our new CEO in early 2019. You may have realised at the time you were still there that a number of staff workshops were being carried out to help define our culture and the values we want our staff to embed in their day to day lives and these were formally shared with the business in December 2019. We are proud of our culture and believe it helps create a positive and collaborative working environment for all our staff.

6. "Business Development"

Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at Seven Investment Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pretty good job is fun I like

Cons

Some time is hard to go fast

September 3, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback! Glad to hear that you enjoy your role!

7. "EXCELLENT"

Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Seven Investment Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

FRIENDLY environment. Great atmosphere

Cons

Need more change. Not flexible

September 3, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased to hear that you enjoy the atmosphere and the friendly environment at 7IM. In terms of change within the business, with the arrival of our new CEO in Q2, we are making a number of changes to improve the flexibility we offer our staff. Just to name a few: "Smarter Working" where staff have the ability to change their working hours as well as work from home is a huge shift in our working practices and culture. We have introduced dress down Friday's, as well as weekly blogs from the Executive team in order to improve communication across the business. There are still many more changes and initiatives which we are working on and are yet to be launched.

"Stay away"

1.0

I worked at Seven Investment Management full-time

Pros

There is nothing positive to say about this company

Cons

Seven IM pride itself on culture...the culture I experienced was one of lies, blame, severe incompetence and 'if you like to party you'll be fine'. ​​ Micro-management is rife. HR is incompetent, dishonest and completely unprofessional - I'd actually go so far as to say corrupt. Brand image is everything to this company but this comes at the detriment of staff working conditions. Policies (especially so called 'family-friendly' ones) are shocking - hard to believe they belong to a multi-million pound wealth management firm!

September 3, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your experience at 7IM was not positive. We do pride our self on our culture but recognise that there is always room for improvement. We are currently going through a transition period with the arrival of our new CEO, we are in the process of assessing our existing culture in order to see what improvements can be made. Whilst our HR team make it a priority to care about the well-being of its staff, be approachable, supportive and listen to its staff members and deal with issues in a professional and confidential manner, practicing HR is a balancing act. The reality is that first and foremost, HR are “business” people, who are focussed on what’s best for the business. We always follow the principle that if we can achieve a positive outcome for a staff member, then we will do so, but not if it puts the business at risk or is a great loss for the Firm. In terms of our family friendly policies, we reviewed our maternity and paternity pay in June 2019, we are now paying staff enhanced maternity pay for a significantly longer period of time. The response to this change has been extremely positive.

"A great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Seven Investment Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

7IM is a great company where you feel valued and rewarded for hard work. It has a brilliant culture and you feel like a big family. The Management Committee are all very approachable and care about you. I would recommend the firm to anybody who is looking for a company where hard work is noticed and rewarded.

Cons

I actually can't think of any cons. It is a company full of good people.

September 3, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback!

"Hmm"

I worked at Seven Investment Management full-time

Pros

Good friendly working culture. There are some key people in the business that really make it worthwhile for collaboration, growth, learning and making a difference.

Cons

Old fashioned traditions No dress down days No flexible working options 0% black senior management 0% black partner members Maybe 1% Asian partner members Rushed decisions have led to poor operation functionality and processes.

September 3, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Some of the "Cons" raised below have all been addressed this year, we now offer dress down every Friday in the firm. We also launched our "Smarter Working" initiative in July 2019, this essentially allows our staff to work more flexibly, focus on output, opposed to being present in the office 9-5.30pm, 5 days a week. Equality, diversity and inclusion are an important part of our culture and how we operate. We recruit and promote staff based on their skills, demonstrable past experience as well as value add and impact to the business. Our decisions are not based on gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or religion.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 31 English Reviews