Find jobs for Senior Software Engineer

4.3
Shell Energy Retail CEO Ed Kamm
Ed Kamm
1 Rating

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Good Company

Aug 13, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Brisbane
    Business Outlook

Pros

Plenty of opportunities. Looks after employees

Cons

some times more process oriented

2. 5.0

Excellent Place to work

Feb 26, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Coventry, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very good work life balance. A lot of very talented developers. Healthy discussions around tech. Seamlessly transitioned into WFH. Good salary.

Cons

Sometimes things can be slightly over engineered (tech debt). Infrastructure and CI/CD can be flaky and frustrating blockers are created my tech-ops. But everywhere has these kinds of problems especially with tech debt but these are minor things though that I can see getting better..

Head of Talent and Enterprise Capability Development

Thanks very much for your 5-star review. It's great that you begin your feedback on the pros of working at SERL with mentioning a very good work / life balance. Well-being is at the heart of our We Care core value and we have a very full wellbeing calendar for this year, as well as the supporting well-being information available on our reward and benefits platform. I personally really enjoy Happy Head's week and the stories our colleagues have shared about the available support they have benefited from, whether that's the EAP advice line or speaking to one of our wellbeing champions. Thank you for mentioning enjoying working with your talented colleagues and the healthy discussions you have around Tech. Our talented people are our business and we wouldn't be where we are today without the dedication and knowledge sharing that helped shape the other of our core values: We Embrace Differences, We Evolve, We Deliver. Thank you for your continued contribution to our success. Thanks again for sharing your feedback, Eleanor

3. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Lack of direction

Feb 10, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Coventry, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

With Shell pouring money in the company, it's a safe place to be in the current climate Flexible hours

Cons

Lack of direction, new directors changing things just to show work Objectives don't match investment (in people or tech) Tech teams are overworked and understaffed No alignment between departments, not only in projects, but also ways of working

Head of Talent and Enterprise Capability Development

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'm sorry to read that you feel there is a lack of direction. We recently asked all colleagues to input their Objectives and Key Results into our system, which allows transparency across the business, right to Exec objectives. As part of adding those to the system, each Team and Individual objective is linked to other objectives. The purpose of identifying these links supports demonstrating how individual and team actions underpin the Exec objectives, and combined, those of the business. There were some internal communications recently about adding your OKRs to the system. If you haven't yet had chance to explore it and see those connections, please do reach out to the Learning and Development Team and we will be happy to help. Each of us craft our own objectives to feed into the team, so if you haven't already, please do have a conversation with your manager and senior leadership team in your area. As with the objectives themselves, transparency is so important to our journey, ensuring that we can continue to evolve. Your feedback is valuable - we can only support if you reach out. Alternatively, I would personally be happy to have a conversation in confidence to understand your feedback in more detail. Please feel free to drop me a note. Thank you again for taking the time to leave a review. Eleanor.

4. 5.0

Really impressed so far

Nov 14, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Coventry, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great salary - Flexibility to work at home 2 / 3 days a week or as required - Flexible hours promote a healthy work / life balance - Top of the range Mac Book Pro - Large car park with free electric charging - High quality cooked food and snacks on offer - Safety is top priority

Cons

- Benefits not as good as other places I've worked - Minimum pension - Toilets feel too public

Shell Energy Retail Response

Thanks so much for your 5-star review! It's great to hear you mention the flexibility you have to get the best outcome from the effort you put into your work. Supporting our colleagues so that everyone has the opportunity to strive to be the best they can be is really important to us. Agile working is a key part of that culture, whether that's within the office environment, making use of project spaces, the atrium, the Den, hot-desking, or utilising the flexibility to work from home. I'm also really pleased to hear you mention our facilities. That's an area we've invested heavily in over the last 12 months. We extended the car park so that, as you highlight, there is ample free parking available on-site. As champions of sustainable energy, we also actively encourage our colleagues to look at environmentally friendly options such as electric vehicles for their commute and provide free EV charging for our colleagues. Our benefits package is always under review so I would encourage you to watch this space for some updates in the near future. Thank you for your continued contribution to our success, John.

5. 5.0

Pleased to join Shell Energy

Oct 1, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Coventry, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great employee wellbeing programs Monday fruits Great on-boarding process for new developers 15" Macbook pro Enthusiastic team Great manager and team lead Flexible working hours Work from home Nice perks Table tennis Football table Massive car park Canteen with ok prices

Cons

Lack of sit/stand desks Cable management on desks could be better Pension scheme could be improved

Shell Energy Retail Response

Thanks very much for your 5-star review! Over the last year we have given a lot of attention to our employee well-being - physical, mental and financial - and you will see this continuing into 2020. As you highlight, one element of this is, wherever possible, promoting the benefits of agile and flexible working and it’s great that you have been able to avail of this. As you will be aware, over the last six months we have been upgrading our Coventry office and updating some seating arrangements. As part of this we have been trialling various options around desk layouts and are monitoring what works well with a view to potential further roll-out. In the interim, if you feel you would benefit from a sit/stand desk, please do pick up with the Facilities team who can arrange an assessment. We want you to work safely. Great to have you as part of the team, John.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great atmosphere with good focus

May 30, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Coventry, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Modern technology stacks - Work from home at least 2 days a week with flexibility to do more/less or switch which days - Flexible hours allowing a better work/life balance (as a software engineer I do 8-4:30 for example) - Full canteen with hot/cold food at competitive rates with a reward scheme (Points that allow you to get free cake (amongst healthier options) and free hot drinks) - Nice offices (There is some woodland walks that you can go for a nice sunny lunchtime walk on) - Car park with ample spaces - Other staff members seem to have a long service history

Cons

- Driving around the school and Coventry roads can be a little nightmare-ish at certain times of the day - But that could apply to almost any office in the country!

Head of Talent

Thanks so much for your 5-star review! It's great to hear you mention the flexibility you have to get the best outcome from the effort you put into your work. Supporting our colleagues to bring their full selves to the work they do, so that everyone has the opportunity to strive to be the best they can be is really important. Agile working is a key part of that culture, whether that's within the office environment, making use of project spaces, the atrium, the Den, or hot-desking, or making best use of your role allowing the flex to work from home. I'm also really pleased to hear you mention our facilities. That's an area we've invested heavily in over the last 12 months or so. We renovated our canteen and the menu for both the canteen and our barista coffee pod, we extended the car park so that as you mentioned, there is ample free parking available on-site and alongside that, a trim-trail/woodland walk with seating areas that can be enjoyed for meetings outside or taking a break/having lunch. I hope that you will enjoy a long career with us, as you've noticed many of our colleagues have. Thank you for your continued contribution to our success, Ellen.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Culture, friends, mentors and more

May 4, 2018 - Senior Software Engineer in Coventry, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working in development has always been - for me - a struggle to work in a place where the team work together, teach and learn from each other and with no elitism. Culture You are constantly encouraged to better yourself as an engineer from your team mates, leads, principles and above. Since being here my skill's have improved further as well as my knowledge and as a person. With the introduction of internal user groups for certain tech and presentations you can watch or give, the culture is a breath of fresh air. Team mates There is a lot of knowledge which is shared without any issues. Everyone is there to help whenever they can, from software engineers and up. Tools The world of web development is a fast paced and constantly changing, given the chance to explore with research days allows your knowledge to grow and the products we write then benefit. Our tool set is constantly growing.

Cons

Only one I can think of is to have a better pension contribution, but that is clutching at straws!

Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your positive review! The collaboration and innovation in our tech teams is something we are proud of. Fostering that culture helps everyone to feel comfortable in sharing new ideas, knowledge and challenging thinking to help us pioneer in this ever-developing arena. We've had some great feedback on the research days, with that freedom to explore and expand on key areas of interest. Thank you for your contribution to our success and sharing your enjoyment of your role and team, long may that continue!

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fast paced, exciting workplace

Nov 18, 2017 - Senior Software Engineer in Coventry, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Exciting, cutting edge technology used daily. Fast-paced but time for learning with research days. Breakout and quiet areas available when needed as it’s an often noisy open office environment. We are treated like adults with no micro-management. We are trusted to do our work whether in the office or at home. The management hierarchy is flat and mainly excellent. They are mostly recruited via promotion within the department so they know how to treat you to get the best out of you. We have quarterly team building outings which are great. Provision to go to conferences and training is minimal but available. The salary is very good and inline or better than the best companies in the area.

Cons

The open office is distracting but there is provision to work from home and recently added quiet areas. Headphones recommended. We need more ability to exercise while at work. The benefits are quite poor compared to the salary (they are improving though), for example the pension is a very low percentage and the annual bonus is usually not paid or a small percentage of it is. Although it does depend on company performance overall so even if your department is doing very well you might not get any bonus which is unfortunate.

Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your review. It's really great to hear you mention the trust to do your work and to work from home, that's certainly the environment we've been nurturing, particularly with agile working in our new office space. I understand when you mention the environment can be distracting at times, especially as we're open plan in the main, but it's great to hear you've been making use of the quite working areas as well as personal headphones. We have tried our best to cater for different working preferences, based on the survey we completed before everyone came together in our Coventry office. We do fill the majority of our vacancies internally, so I'm glad to hear you've recognised that in your department. As you mention, we are working to improve our benefits package and there will be more to come on that in 2018. Once the work on our additional car park is complete we'll be installing a 'Trim Trail' to help encourage more activity during breaks. We have a healthy eating week coming up in January and have had a great uptake recently on our pedometer challenge. Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions, much appreciated, Ellen

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 English Reviews