Shell Energy Retail Employee Reviews about "flexible working"

Updated 9 Dec 2020

4.2
Shell Energy Retail CEO Ed Kamm
Ed Kamm
Pros
  • "Motivational and engaging working environment(in 26 reviews)

• "The company is making great strides and has hired really great people who are developing well(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pension scheme could be improved(in 20 reviews)

• "You don't get sick pay for the first few days which is a shame(in 18 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "flexible working"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great company to work for"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Brand Team Member in London, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team, flexible working, good management

Cons

busy workload , complicated processes , difficult relationship with parent company

January 11, 2021Head of Talent and Enterprise Capability Development

Thanks very much for your five-star review! Great team, flexible working and good management - three things that really make a difference every day, but especially in these times where most of us are working remotely. Working with good people, enjoying connecting virtually for team social events, the flex when you need it to balance work with your personal life and leadership from your manager and beyond that you buy into, all make for care and trust. Thank you for your feedback on the cons you mentioned. I agree, workload can be really busy at times, especially as we're an ambitious and growing business. I feel fortunate to be part of that, but balance is so important. I hope you've had a chance to take a look at the Wellbeing Centre on the Reward Hub and the wealth of info we shared as part of our Happy Heads Campaign. Wellbeing remains a high priority for us in 2021. I'm looking forward to seeing the evolving work on our Continuous Improvement training and mindset, it will help us to all feel empowered to call out where our processes can add more value and save us time! As we move forward on our New Energies journey, those shared processes will be better understood by both sides. I'm looking forward to the progress we'll make in 2021. Thanks again for your review and your continued contribution! Eleanor

2. "Excellent workplace with strong Exec Team and direction"

Current Employee - MI Analyst in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible working Support within the Company Benefits Salary Plenty of car parking Office Environment

Cons

The company is operating in a difficult industry

February 26, 2020Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for your 5-star review! I'm pleased you mentioned our facilities and office environment. It's something we've put a lot of focus into over the last 18 months - we want to create a place where our colleagues can truly give their best. As you highlight, we work in a challenging industry, but I'm glad that you feel supported and the business is heading in the right direction with the best decisions being made. We have a very full and exciting future, full of opportunities for innovation and meeting our customers' needs. As our business opportunities unfold there are untold opportunities for our colleagues to grow and develop new skills. It's great to have you as part of our growing and successful team. John.

3. "Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales Performance Analyst

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Their agile working environment allows for flexible working when required and is encouraged. Benefits package is fairly comprehensive and is always expanding.

Cons

The Coventry location is nearby to a university campus which can make rush hour traffic worse than usual.

April 2, 2020Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for your 5-star review I’m delighted you are experiencing the benefits of our flexible, agile working environment. Rush hour is never fun, but where possible we work hard to provide the flexibility to work remotely or stagger start and finish times to avoid the worst of the peaks. We want to enable our colleagues to enjoy a work / life balance that works for them and the company and the journey to work is all part of this. I’m glad you mentioned our benefits package. As you highlight, this has developed over the last couple of years and we've recently announced improvements to both our pension and bonus propositions which have been very well received. Thanks for your continuing contribution to our success - thank you. John

4. "Pleased to join Shell Energy"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great employee wellbeing programs Monday fruits Great on-boarding process for new developers 15" Macbook pro Enthusiastic team Great manager and team lead Flexible working hours Work from home Nice perks Table tennis Football table Massive car park Canteen with ok prices

Cons

Lack of sit/stand desks Cable management on desks could be better Pension scheme could be improved

December 18, 2019

Thanks very much for your 5-star review! Over the last year we have given a lot of attention to our employee well-being - physical, mental and financial - and you will see this continuing into 2020. As you highlight, one element of this is, wherever possible, promoting the benefits of agile and flexible working and it’s great that you have been able to avail of this. As you will be aware, over the last six months we have been upgrading our Coventry office and updating some seating arrangements. As part of this we have been trialling various options around desk layouts and are monitoring what works well with a view to potential further roll-out. In the interim, if you feel you would benefit from a sit/stand desk, please do pick up with the Facilities team who can arrange an assessment. We want you to work safely. Great to have you as part of the team, John.

"Good company, bad practices"

Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working Good cheap coffee Free fruit

Cons

Lack of communication across teams produces detrimental results Micro management by colleagues

December 18, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I’m glad you are experiencing the benefits of our flexible, agile working environment: it's something we are keen to build on to enable our colleagues to enjoy a work / life balance that works. I’m sorry to hear that you feel there is a lack of communication across teams. Following our re-brand we are transforming our business and cultural change is something we are very much working on. Hopefully you will have had the chance to attend one of our 'town-hall' sessions delivered by the CEO where we share details of our vision for the future. What's equally important is that we're on a journey and change is central to that. We provide a weekly update in our newsletter, including relevant strategy updates, upcoming events and initiatives. If you have any thoughts that might help us better share our vision and improve communication, I'd be very happy to hear from you. Please do feel free to drop me an email with your ideas, or to let me know that you'd like to have a chat. Thanks again, John.

6. "First Utility - Great Place to work"

4.0

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very engaging and always have the best interests at heart for all employees. Very flexible working environment and great team spirit.

Cons

Can sometimes get very hectic with little time to reflect.

February 14, 2019Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your review, especially your feedback that we always have the best interests of all employees at heart - having been with us for more than 5 years you'll have experienced the great many changes and strides of progress we've made. None of that would be possible without all of our inspirational colleagues. You may have heard Colin our CEO comment on the 'buzz' he felt from speaking to colleagues from across the business on his first day with us. That level of engagement, support and 'team spirit' as you say, is really fantastic and I'm glad you've noticed it too throughout your time here! You're right (and I agree) it can sometimes get very hectic, especially given our pace and the rate of change to enable us to reach our ambitions. We're definitely encouraging a culture of continuous improvement to help us along the way and that goes for our working practices as well. Many of our colleagues already take advantage of our agile working approach, working from home when they can or finding collaborative or quieter spaces away from their desks. Last year we introduced a wellbeing section within our reward platform, where you can find hints and tips on topics from mindfulness to healthy eating. As we continue to evolve, it's important that our working practices evolve with us, so we can continue to ensure we have everyone's best interests at heart. Thanks again for your feedback and your continued contribution to our success!

7. "Cash and bank team leader"

I worked at Shell Energy Retail

Pros

Good pay, good hours flexible working was a plus.

Cons

High staff turn over.

December 17, 2018Head of Talent

Thanks for your review. I'm glad to hear you mention your pay and hours in the pros. We do advocate agile working where it's appropriate for the role, to help our colleagues to work to their full potential with us. We have had some employees leave us - with the excitement that comes from change on the one hand, on the other, change isn't for everyone. I'd be intrigued to hear a bit more about what you think would help move your rating to a higher number of stars. If you'd like to have conversation, please do drop me an email and we can arrange a convenient time to talk. Thanks again and best of luck with your next opportunity.

"A business that listens!"

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible working, New onsite parking (following feedback about more parking on site being needed), Enhanced Maternity Policy (a brand new 6 month paid maternity policy has been put in place - this has been called out for, for as long as I've worked here - so massive thumbs up!), Exciting new future prospects after being bought by Shell, Great development portal - First Forward.

Cons

Now that we have this exciting new future with Shell, we need to be better at communicating this to the wider staff - the Make the Future conference was great, but this needs to be continued!

Continue reading

"Good company, need to brush up on employee retention"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Coventry, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great colleagues, great work/life balance, flexible working

Cons

Not enough cross training opportunities, not enough training altogether. Benefits are the bare minimum, no maternity/paternity pay, lowest pension contributions that are a must. Although it's a nice to have, in my opinion fruity Fridays and voucher schemes are not really a benefit.

Continue reading

"Good place to work, although can't be long term."

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great supportive teams. Very good flexible working.

Cons

A pension contribution of 1% is not acceptable for a company of this size. I am aware that it is increased in line with the statutory minimum but this still is not acceptable. I don't know how I can stay at First Utility long term if this doesn't change significantly - I want to be able to stay but I don't think I can!

March 20, 2018Head of Talent

Thank you for your review. I'm really pleased to hear you mention flexibility in particular, as we've heard some fantastic stories from our colleagues so far on our approach to working in an agile way where it's a benefit to you and your role; whether it's working away from the standard desk space and making use of our dedicated agile working areas, or working from home. We've been fortunate to experience high growth as a company not yet 10 years old, leading to our recent celebration of becoming part of Shell's New Energies division and you are right, as a company of the size we now are, the time is right review policies and processes. Whilst this isn't something that can happen overnight, retention of our talented colleagues is paramount, as our people enable our business. We as HR will be working closely with Colin over the coming months as we begin this new chapter in our journey. It's heartening to hear that you want to stay with us, I do hope you will. Thank you for your continued contribution to our success.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 English Reviews