Shell Energy Retail Employee Reviews about "pension"

Updated Nov 14, 2019

Found 20 of over 397 reviews

4.1
Shell Energy Retail CEO Ed Kamm
Ed Kamm
Pros
  • "Motivational and engaging working environment(in 26 reviews)

• "Great team, flexible working, good management(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Pension scheme could be improved(in 20 reviews)

• "No sick pay and longer working hours(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "pension"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Really impressed so far

Nov 14, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great salary - Flexibility to work at home 2 / 3 days a week or as required - Flexible hours promote a healthy work / life balance - Top of the range Mac Book Pro - Large car park with free electric charging - High quality cooked food and snacks on offer - Safety is top priority

Cons

- Benefits not as good as other places I've worked - Minimum pension - Toilets feel too public

Shell Energy Retail Response

Thanks so much for your 5-star review! It's great to hear you mention the flexibility you have to get the best outcome from the effort you put into your work. Supporting our colleagues so that everyone has the opportunity to strive to be the best they can be is really important to us. Agile working is a key part of that culture, whether that's within the office environment, making use of project spaces, the atrium, the Den, hot-desking, or utilising the flexibility to work from home. I'm also really pleased to hear you mention our facilities. That's an area we've invested heavily in over the last 12 months. We extended the car park so that, as you highlight, there is ample free parking available on-site. As champions of sustainable energy, we also actively encourage our colleagues to look at environmentally friendly options such as electric vehicles for their commute and provide free EV charging for our colleagues. Our benefits package is always under review so I would encourage you to watch this space for some updates in the near future. Thank you for your continued contribution to our success, John.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Pleased to join Shell Energy

Oct 1, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great employee wellbeing programs Monday fruits Great on-boarding process for new developers 15" Macbook pro Enthusiastic team Great manager and team lead Flexible working hours Work from home Nice perks Table tennis Football table Massive car park Canteen with ok prices

Cons

Lack of sit/stand desks Cable management on desks could be better Pension scheme could be improved

Shell Energy Retail Response

Thanks very much for your 5-star review! Over the last year we have given a lot of attention to our employee well-being - physical, mental and financial - and you will see this continuing into 2020. As you highlight, one element of this is, wherever possible, promoting the benefits of agile and flexible working and it’s great that you have been able to avail of this. As you will be aware, over the last six months we have been upgrading our Coventry office and updating some seating arrangements. As part of this we have been trialling various options around desk layouts and are monitoring what works well with a view to potential further roll-out. In the interim, if you feel you would benefit from a sit/stand desk, please do pick up with the Facilities team who can arrange an assessment. We want you to work safely. Great to have you as part of the team, John.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Decent

Feb 15, 2018 - Digital Service Executive in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are class, development opportunities are there if you take your job seriously, lots of overtime potential, interesting future for the business. Wage isn't too bad. The takeover from Shell looks to offer good expansion going forward.

Cons

Employee benefits - it's hard to see a serious long term career being built where there's such a poor pension (government minimum legal requirements), no maternity/paternity pay nor sick pay. No bonus' for either personal performance nor company performance. All we can seem to offer our employees in recruitment is free fruit on a Friday and some very minor discounts off some shops e.g. 4% off Tesco. Employee retention - The turnover of staff seems to be very high, although I don't know the actual %. We're losing very good staff in all areas of the business, potentially for the above reasons?

2 people found this review helpful

Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your review. It's great that like so many of our other reviews, our people are top of your list of pros, along with our development opportunities. We launched First Perks, our exclusive employee discount portal last year, based on colleague feedback, retail benefits was chosen and has been hugely popular. Since the launch of First Perks, followed by First Forward, our development portal, our colleagues have been more engaged with our other benefits, particularity private healthcare and external training, as well as our mentoring scheme. Now is the time of year where our teams enjoy their quarterly socials. We've had some teams going for dinner and other enjoying activities such as go-karting or archery. You are right, long term security is fundamental to a long-term career and I'm really glad to hear you want to stay with us. Starting out on our new chapter as part of Shell's New Energies division provides an opportunity for us to look at our policies and procedures and whilst this can't change overnight, continuous improvement will always be part of our future. Thanks once again for your review and your continued contribution to our success.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Customer focused company

Jun 8, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

An interesting place to work, lots of business changes directed from the Exec rather than through business need; but none the less a fast pace working environment with 'the customer' being the focus which is great. Nice opportunities to progress within the company.

Cons

Benefits are extremely unattractive - No LOS recognitions and Bonus' frequently not paid. The pension is only a 1% contribution regardless of how much you personally pay in. Maternity/Paternity pay has caused previous colleagues to leave as they can't afford to be off with the lack of pay offered. More focus on having 'Parties' than real rewards - First Perks recently launched offering discounts to employees for everyday purchases, all well and good but this isn't going to keep me warm and safe when I'm claiming my pathetic pension in later life. HR policies are always out of date and no new employment contracts provided when internal role changes happen.

Chief People Officer

Hello. Thank you very much for your very full and thoughtful feedback. There's some gritty detail in your comments which is hugely helpful. It's great that we're getting it right for our customers through fantastic products and service. We want to get it right for our employees too and it's good to hear there are opportunities for people to develop and grow. As a successful fast moving business there are loads of ways for everyone to do well. You mentioned our rewards and benefit package and how it compares to other employers. As an agile and modern business we prefer to focus on giving people choice and do this by positioning our base pay above the market median - essentially offering a better base than our competitors. We offer BUPA cover to everyone and some nice things like 'Fruity Friday, free car parking and 'quarterly team social events'. FirstPerks is a great way of accessing discounts on day-to-day retail purchases enabling you to get more value from your pay - it has proved to be very popular with colleagues and a valuable perk. I would be very happy to have a conversation with you about how we can improve our People Policies - we're in the process of updating them so timing is perfect. John

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Excellent place to learn and grow

Jun 11, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexibly (Ability to work from home and start/finish times) - Base Salary is Competitive - Research days - to go and find out about new tools and start a conversation internally - Software department culture: cohesive, collaborative, friendly, and fast paced and strong agile delivery philosophy . - Innovative approaches with technology to new business needs with good open conversation with business stakeholders. - Excellent place to learn and develop. - I have found the high street stores discounts very useful (saved a few quid) - Fruity Friday (Free fruit on a Friday) - Management (In the Core Platform / Business Technology Group) is some of the best I have worked with. Clear communication - right from the start. Set clear expectations. Always happy to help remove blockers without mic

Cons

- Rest of benefits package (Pension, Maternity / Paternity etc) - Communication of long term vision (hopefully to be address in up coming company day) - Canteen lacks choice and is expensive - Facilities team are more often blockers than facilitators, for example booking rooms is like a game of roulette. Which leads to loss of efficiency and effectiveness.

Head of Talent

Thanks very much for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to hear you mention the pros of our approach to agile working. We've had some great feedback so far from colleagues taking advantage of working in ways to support productivity in their roles, from working at home, to working on the cafe tables by the coffee pod. Thank you for the positive feedback on our BTG Department especially, innovation in the tech space has always been a cornerstone of our culture and many of our colleagues comment on the collaboration between teams in this space - great to hear. It's been quite a journey for us bringing HQ in Warwick to our Coventry office and the improvements continue. Rooms have been a culprit for a bit of confusion certainly wherever I've worked in the past and I know this was a little more difficult when we all initially came together. Hopefully you've noticed the daily booking sheets on the door of each meeting room, which have helped communicate bookings and free time and save confusion/crossed wires. We know that with the growth and change we're fortunate enough to be experiencing, that we need to consider all things relevant to our people along that journey, as our people make our business. As an evolving company, those things won't go unnoticed. Thanks again for your feedback.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Culture, friends, mentors and more

May 4, 2018 - Senior Software Engineer in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working in development has always been - for me - a struggle to work in a place where the team work together, teach and learn from each other and with no elitism. Culture You are constantly encouraged to better yourself as an engineer from your team mates, leads, principles and above. Since being here my skill's have improved further as well as my knowledge and as a person. With the introduction of internal user groups for certain tech and presentations you can watch or give, the culture is a breath of fresh air. Team mates There is a lot of knowledge which is shared without any issues. Everyone is there to help whenever they can, from software engineers and up. Tools The world of web development is a fast paced and constantly changing, given the chance to explore with research days allows your knowledge to grow and the products we write then benefit. Our tool set is constantly growing.

Cons

Only one I can think of is to have a better pension contribution, but that is clutching at straws!

Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your positive review! The collaboration and innovation in our tech teams is something we are proud of. Fostering that culture helps everyone to feel comfortable in sharing new ideas, knowledge and challenging thinking to help us pioneer in this ever-developing arena. We've had some great feedback on the research days, with that freedom to explore and expand on key areas of interest. Thank you for your contribution to our success and sharing your enjoyment of your role and team, long may that continue!

7. 3.0
      Former Employee

Lack of Security

Oct 22, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some genuinely nice people to work with.

Cons

Awful salary and pension. First perks does not make up for this. Nobody gets actually promoted only secondment and "glide paths", you show faith in the company and they reward you with a lot of extra work and for some reason could make you wait almost a year for the salary you were promised. This shows that the company does not trust its employees and at the very least does not want to pay them for the job they are doing. It is well known that external hires are vastly overpaid, yet there is confusion about why people want to leave. The company culture is not professional for the majority, though it likes to pretend to be. A day in work can feel like a day in school, which makes it difficult to remain positive. I am happy I left but I really hope that they learn to take pride in their employees and behave more like an adult business.

7 people found this review helpful

Head of Talent

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to read that you've left us with these views, it really isn't the culture that we aim to foster. We encourage everyone to take responsibility for their development and make the most of the support available to reach their full potential. We've had some fantastic development stories shared from colleagues who have taken part in our mentoring scheme and training courses for their career development as well as stories of progression in roles with us. We base our salaries on market rate and advertise available internal opportunities where possible. We do appoint externally as well, which is essential to bring new skills to our growing business. I'm disheartened to hear you felt that we don't value our employees, as without the dedication of our colleagues, we wouldn't be where we are today and looking forward to our future as part of Shell. We marked that with a significant celebration in the summer through our company-wide Lets Make The Future event, where our senior leaders shared their appreciation for our achievements and their vision for our next chapter. We also were proud to announce benefit updates for maternity, paternity and life assurance, following colleague feedback. Every day we see 'shout-outs' of gratitude via our internal online communities. Once again, I'm sorry your experience didn't truly reflect our culture. If you'd like to have a confidential conversation to discuss your feedback further, please do drop me an email and we can arrange a convenient time.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good company, need to brush up on employee retention

Apr 19, 2018 - Data Analyst in Coventry, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great colleagues, great work/life balance, flexible working

Cons

Not enough cross training opportunities, not enough training altogether. Benefits are the bare minimum, no maternity/paternity pay, lowest pension contributions that are a must. Although it's a nice to have, in my opinion fruity Fridays and voucher schemes are not really a benefit.

7 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company with great people

Dec 11, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

High paced, modern working environment with some excellent leaders. Internal development of colleagues is high on the agenda with a culture of looking out for the customer and each other. Also a Tech led business, which makes you feel like you work for more than just an average energy company. Firstperks allows colleagues to save money on everything from Christmas shopping to the next holiday away, 25 days holiday and competitive salaries.

Cons

Pension/Paternity/Maternity meets minimum statutory requirement

Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your 5-star review! It's great to hear you mention our excellent leadership and the importance we place on internal development. We certainly wouldn't be where we are today without the people that make our business. I love your choice of words that we have a culture of looking out for the customer and for each other! Fantastic statement, thank you! We will be adding to our benefits package this year and keep an eye out for some policy updates soon to be shared. Thanks again, Ellen.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work but could do with more benefits and flexibility

Apr 1, 2017 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good culture and atmosphere - Opportunities for progression - New training process is comprehensive and offers full support before going live - Fruit Fridays and free tea and coffee - Quarterly departmental outings - Frequent opportunities to raise money for its charity of choice, NSPCC - Diverse workforce - Customer focused - Senior staff take a genuine interest in new employees and make effort to meet them during training

Cons

- Insufficient onsite parking - Lack of organisation and communication between some internal departments - Limited benefits (eg. company pension, sick pay, maternity pay) but in line with current norm - Limited flexibility and part-time opportunities

Chief People Officer

Thanks for your really positive feedback. It's great to hear about the quality of our training and focus on delivering a great experience for our customers. We're working hard to create a place where our employees want to work and I am aware that things like car parking can be a challenge. In Coventry we have added a further 80 car spaces just a short walk away from the office - have a chat with the Facilities team who can give you more details. We have other plans and we're in active discussions with the City Council who are very supportive of First Utility in Coventry. In Warwick we have less onsite parking but we've just taken an additional 40 spaces behind the Premier Inn and we have space at Warwick Parkway. If you're Warwick based have a chat with Facilities. In terms of financial benefits we're launching a programme in May that should help First Utility employees save around £700 a year - watch this space. We're working with the Customer Operations team to change current working patterns and hope to offer more opportunities for flexible and part-time working. We've grown really quickly over the last few years and want to make sure we build on the best aspects of our culture - the energy, enthusiasm and enthusiasm of our people who make it a delight for customers. Thanks again.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 Reviews