Shell Energy Retail Employee Reviews about "working environment"

Updated 21 Dec 2020

4.2
Shell Energy Retail CEO Ed Kamm
Ed Kamm
Pros
  • "Motivational and engaging working environment(in 26 reviews)

• "The company is making great strides and has hired really great people who are developing well(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pension scheme could be improved(in 20 reviews)

• "You don't get sick pay for the first few days which is a shame(in 18 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "working environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Excellent working environment without pressure"

Former Intern - Developer in Bangalore

I worked at Shell Energy Retail for less than a year

Pros

Excellent working environment without pressure

Cons

I really didn't find any cons working here

2. "prepayment specialist"

Current Employee - Prepayment Specialist in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail part-time for less than a year

Pros

Energetic, Positive work environment, coaching, Motivating

Cons

customers can be rude which is the main con

January 11, 2021Head of Talent and Enterprise Capability Development

Thanks very much for your 5-star review! I'm really pleased that you mentioned the level of positivity, motivation and coaching. 2020 was certainly an extraordinarily challenging year and I know I speak for our Leadership Team across the business when I say, we are immensely proud of how we as a Shell Energy Retail family have supported (and continue to support) each other through the evolving pandemic. It looks like you've been with us for less than a year so perhaps you joined us in the midst of this, with most colleagues working from home, as they are now. That feeling of positivity and of motivation in those circumstances is wonderful - feeling part of the family, even though perhaps you may not yet have met many of your colleagues in person. Wellbeing and mental health remains high on our agenda for this new year, we want to ensure that support is always at hand to help everyone feel as positive as they can and to offer guidance during the times they need extra help. Living a coaching culture is central to our story, helping colleagues feel empowered, particularly to handle difficult conversations and indeed to support our customers through these testing times. We are rolling out further coaching specifically geared to our colleagues who support our customers on the phone, helping them to feel comfortable handling difficult conversations, as ultimately we are here to help and can only do that to our best ability in a mutually respectful space. I hope that the coaching will be helpful for you. Please do feel free to drop me an email with any feedback around it afterwards, all feedback and suggestions welcome! Thanks again! Eleanor.

3. "Salary"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Lagos

I worked at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good work environment and nice office

Cons

time consuming and little work life balance

4. "Amazing company to work for"

Current Employee - Management Information Analyst in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time

Pros

Great salary, fantastic benefits. Motivational and engaging working environment. And free hot chocolate !

Cons

None I have found so far

August 27, 2020Head of Talent and Enterprise Capability Development

Many thanks for taking the time to post such a positive review. It's great to hear that you feel rewarded and recognised for the contribution you make. I have to admit that the hot chocolate is one of the things I miss about not being in the office whilst so many of us are working from home. Even with remote working however, it's really encouraging to hear your feedback on the motivational and engaging environment you are experiencing. It's sometimes harder to make those connections at a distance so I'm pleased to hear that the technology is enabling you to do so. Great to have you with us, Eleanor

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great working environment. - Great Team - Great support from the business during this time

Cons

Miss my Team whilst current situation ongoing

April 2, 2020Chief People Officer

Many thanks for your five star review. We are all working in uncharted territory at the moment so it's great that you feel so supported by your team and everyone. Working from home can be isolating and it's easy to underestimate the importance of maintaining social contact. I encourage everyone to make use of our remote communication facilities - chat, video conferencing to stay in contact with your team on a regular basis. Although key for continuing with the business, these are equally important in providing emotional support. I am thrilled by the resilience shown by everyone in adapting to new ways of working and would like to reassure you of the continued support of Shell Energy so we can come through these challenging times stronger than ever. Great to have you with us. John.

6. "Great company"

Current Employee - Digital Service Advisor in Coventry, England

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, regular feedback from managers, good working environment

Cons

Harder to progress at this place

April 2, 2020Chief People Officer

Thanks for taking the time to post such a great review. We have made a number of improvements to our benefits proposition and will continue to review these to ensure we are delivering on what provides most value to our colleagues. It's great that you are receiving regular feedback from your manager. You mention that you are finding progression difficult. I would encourage you to ensure that your sessions with your manager don't just focus on current deliveries but on your career aspirations too - we are developing more ways to help our colleagues learn new skills and to progress to new roles. Please do investigate our Development Portal which is home to a wealth of resource to consolidate and build your skillset. I hope you have a long and successful career with us, John.

7. "Excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales Performance Analyst

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Their agile working environment allows for flexible working when required and is encouraged. Benefits package is fairly comprehensive and is always expanding.

Cons

The Coventry location is nearby to a university campus which can make rush hour traffic worse than usual.

April 2, 2020Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for your 5-star review I’m delighted you are experiencing the benefits of our flexible, agile working environment. Rush hour is never fun, but where possible we work hard to provide the flexibility to work remotely or stagger start and finish times to avoid the worst of the peaks. We want to enable our colleagues to enjoy a work / life balance that works for them and the company and the journey to work is all part of this. I’m glad you mentioned our benefits package. As you highlight, this has developed over the last couple of years and we've recently announced improvements to both our pension and bonus propositions which have been very well received. Thanks for your continuing contribution to our success - thank you. John

8. "Ok"

Current Employee - Credit Specialist

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time

Pros

Working environment, door to door service

Cons

Shifting, politics, shared service so far from stakeholders

December 18, 2019

Thanks for posting a positive review. I am pleased to see that you are enjoying your working environment. Your review suggests that you have encountered some shared service issues. I would need to understand more detail of your experience in order to get the full picture to inform the best approach to these. I'd welcome a conversation in confidence if you would like to drop me an email. We can then arrange a time to discuss. Thanks, John.

9. "Great company to work for"

Current Contractor - Risk Specialist in Durban

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail for more than a year

Pros

1. Competitive salary 2. Conducive working environment 3. Great staff

Cons

High labour turnover Immediate resignation so

Continue reading
  10. "First Utility - Great Place to work"

I have been working at Shell Energy Retail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very engaging and always have the best interests at heart for all employees. Very flexible working environment and great team spirit.

Cons

Can sometimes get very hectic with little time to reflect.

February 14, 2019Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your review, especially your feedback that we always have the best interests of all employees at heart - having been with us for more than 5 years you'll have experienced the great many changes and strides of progress we've made. None of that would be possible without all of our inspirational colleagues. You may have heard Colin our CEO comment on the 'buzz' he felt from speaking to colleagues from across the business on his first day with us. That level of engagement, support and 'team spirit' as you say, is really fantastic and I'm glad you've noticed it too throughout your time here! You're right (and I agree) it can sometimes get very hectic, especially given our pace and the rate of change to enable us to reach our ambitions. We're definitely encouraging a culture of continuous improvement to help us along the way and that goes for our working practices as well. Many of our colleagues already take advantage of our agile working approach, working from home when they can or finding collaborative or quieter spaces away from their desks. Last year we introduced a wellbeing section within our reward platform, where you can find hints and tips on topics from mindfulness to healthy eating. As we continue to evolve, it's important that our working practices evolve with us, so we can continue to ensure we have everyone's best interests at heart. Thanks again for your feedback and your continued contribution to our success!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 English Reviews