Shop Direct Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.0
Henry Birch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "There has been a significant turn over in senior management with many of the most respected leaders leaving to go to competitors" (in 4 reviews)

• "Can sometimes be too fast paced" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Shop Direct full-time

Pros

Every member off staff friendly and happy to help, flexible working hours, friendly management, nice building to work in, gym at work, access to designer sample sales, great staff discount

Cons

no formal training structure in place, regular restructures

2. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at Shop Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible working, great people, staff discount

Cons

Hard to get to and traffic can be bad

9 Apr 2019 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for taking the time to review us :-)

3. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Shop Direct full-time

Pros

It's the people who make it a great place to work. Fast paced which makes it an exciting yet challenging environment

Cons

Can sometimes be too fast paced.

9 Apr 2019 – Employer Brand Manager

Hey, thanks for reviewing us! Totally agree, it's fast-paced which can be both exciting, challenging but hopefully rewarding too. Thanks for keeping up with us.

4. "Good values and benefits - management not always the best"

Current Employee - Warehouseman in Oldham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Warehouseman in Oldham, England (UK)

I have been working at Shop Direct full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, Benefits, work - home life balance

Cons

LOM's and lower Management, redundancies, no career progression

Advice to Management

I've worked for ShopDirect for a long time. Despite being made redundant I genuinely believed our previous CEO Alex and now I believe in our new CEO Henry Birch. I believe that do want to create a happy work environment for all their staff despite huge differences in budgets between Sites (warehouse staff will always be treated like second class citizens compared to the other sites, so I'm not complaining). I'm currently being made redundant, but I am still hopeful in the company I truly care about. We've been promised training in roles such as LGV, Team leaders etc. and despite a lot of people believing the company will not fulfil this promise, I personaly still believe they will honour them. We have given so much to the company and I do believe they company wants to do us right. They're very strong on Health & Safety, equality, good holiday allowances and benefits for their staff. I would recommend working for Shop Direct, however I work in a site where staff have been there 40+ years with some older values that have transcended through to our way of doing things now.

I can't promise the same Values will be present at the new East Midlands site as everything will be new, with new contracts, staff, hours, and management, but I believe they will keep to the same values and it will still be a good company from a warehousing point of view.

Lower management isn't the strongest at my site, however there are some brilliant managers. Fortunately for the firm the staff are so knowledgeable and take such pride in their work, they make up for the loss in leadership. One big criticism is there is next to no development or career opportunities within the company. Unless you're very close to the right people, you won't be able to go up the ladder. If you're looking to climb the ladder and go places, I wouldn't sat this is for you. However a staff trainer roll may arise once every so many years. That is most likely as far as it goes.

All in all I can't really complain and I won't be negative or bitter despite losing my job soon. I believe they did us right when we worked there, and they'll do us right as we leave. That says a lot about the company.

5. "Digital Marketing Intern (12 months)"

I worked at Shop Direct full-time

Pros

Friendly and vibrant place to work
    Great development opportunities

Cons

Lots of restructuring has been taking place

9 Apr 2019 – Employer Brand Manager

Hey, thanks for leaving a review! We hope you had a brilliant 12 months with us and are able to go into your final year full of experience and knowledge.

6. "Good working environment"

Former Employee - Warehouse Assistant in Shaw, North West England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Warehouse Assistant in Shaw, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at Shop Direct full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Targets are set however no major pressure to reach them, and if exceeded bonuses are given.
    Employee looks after you
    Overtime readily available
    Good shift patterns
    Good rate of pay

Cons

Usually only seasonal work, around Xmas

9 Apr 2019 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review with us, we really appreciate it!

7. "A mixed bag"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

I worked at Shop Direct full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some great people doing some good work at SD. In a great environment at their head office in Liverpool.

Cons

Can be a highly corporate and siloed place to work with different areas of the business not always pulling in the same direction.

Advice to Management

Need to create a more inclusive environment. Too many people are concerned with empire building and not doing what’s best for the customer.

8. "An ever-changing business that is adapting to the needs of the retail world"

I worked at Shop Direct full-time

Pros

a business that is continuously reacting to technology and its competitors, and investing and developing both its business operations, and staffs to better deliver its services, and in its motto of, "making good things easily accessible to more people".

Cons

the staff turn-around is very high as it continues to cut cost regularly which in effect is a detriment to the staff's performance and if it wasn't a detriment to their performance, it is definitely affecting morale.

Advice to Management

whilst cost cutting is inevitable in any given business, management need to ensure that they are approaching this in a totally different way as to maintain good employer-employee relationship, and to ensure that staff do feel as appreciated as they try to make their customers feel, as essentially, most of the staff, family, and friends are their own customers too.

9. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Shaw, North West England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in Shaw, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at Shop Direct full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for Your progression

Cons

Re-locating to midlands.loss of employment

10. "Shiney Vaneer, rotten core"

I worked at Shop Direct full-time

Pros

Fast pace, exciting challenges and some passionate people

Cons

Toxic culture, bullying and dis-empowering leaders. Face needs to fit to get along.

Advice to Management

You have some amazing people, let them shine and bring their differences, ideas and passion to the table. Leaders aren’t always right and a good leader would know that.

Such a shame as it’s a great company, but you’re running people into the ground mentally.