Sky Betting & Gaming Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 17 Jan 2020

4.3
Sky Betting & Gaming Chief Executive Officer Ian Proctor
Ian Proctor
Pros
  • "Great people to work with who are intelligent and driven(in 14 reviews)

• "I've been at SBG for about 6 months now(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "The industry is by nature fast-paced so it is imperative to adapt to changes in road map prioritises/projects(in 8 reviews)

• "Feels like it's lost its way since the Stars Group purchased it(in 6 reviews)

1. "Game changing employer, sets the standard for technology in the North"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than a year

Pros

Truly innovative, fantastic culture, unbeatable exposure to new technology and development opportunities, strong dynamic leadership team.

Cons

Steep learning curve for people used to working in old, set ways ( but that’s on you ;) )

Advice to Management

Find a way to get more feedback from non-managers

Sky Betting & Gaming2020-01-15
  2. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Security Engineer in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than a year

Pros

A great company culture where employees are looked after and rewarded for their contribution. A lot of opportunities to take the lead on initiatives and influence the products and tools your team, tribe or even the company use. Ninja Fund enables all team members to take their development further.

Cons

There can sometimes be silos between the various tribes (departments) though this is an area of focus for management. Parking is limited nearby and expensive, though rail and bus links are reasonably good it’s not always an option.

Advice to Management

Continue work on Salary optimisations. Ensure the culture that makes SBG great doesn’t get lost.

Sky Betting & Gaming2020-01-06
  3. "Great!"

Current Employee - Security Tribe Member in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been at SBG for about 6 months now. Generally, the company culture is great. I love all the effort that goes into making the enviroment the best place to work etc. The Christmas countdown stuff was brilliant. As for my job-role we have great technology and a drive to protect it and the resources to create some real value. The tribe's leadership are also very approachable & genuenly care about their staff. Outside of my tribe 9/10 people you need to speak to in a day are extremely helpful.

Cons

I would like to see more strategic engagement with security, from executive etc. but this is probably nuance and opinion hence it not affecting my 5/5 score. Culture wise, the tribe has recently invested in a culture/training resource and I look forward to seeing this take shape in the future.

Advice to Management

Keep focussing on what makes the company special. I would like to see SBG reduce & tackle the negative stigma with betting and gaming. Please do not lose the essence of SBG through recent takeovers & mergers.

Sky Betting & Gaming2020-01-03
  4. "Great company culture & place to work!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Everyone is super intelligent & highly skilled at what they do- makes it an environment where you are challenged & motivated. - Great energy and culture. - Efforts put into making gambling safe & fair.

Cons

- Pressures from external environment/ industry

Sky Betting & Gaming2020-01-17
  5. "Short review"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative

I worked at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun place to work, good environment.

Cons

Quite poor for progression unless favoured by management.

Sky Betting & Gaming2020-01-17
  6. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Commercial Portfolio Manager in Leeds, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun, Enjoyable, Sociable, challenging, fast paced

Cons

Working Hours - Unsociable, Functional, Good Communication

Sky Betting & Gaming2020-01-14
  7. "Head of regulatory gambling compliance"

Current Employee - Head of Compliance in Solihull, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Benefits Package, annual work events, potential growth, support.

Cons

Can feel left out of the wider group

Sky Betting & Gaming2020-01-14
  8. "The best place I've worked: we're all individual, adults and accountable."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Culture is extremely friendly. - Relaxed atmosphere with few rules; serious work done in a non-serious way. - Accomodating place to work: flexible hours day to day (simply agreed with manager on a mutual respect basis), great understanding for last minute holiday or emergencies. - Amazing support for health and family issues. - Extremely competent and very intelligent people working here. - Lots of individualism; people wear all sorts and it's all accepted. - Exciting work; it's a fun and fast industry with a lot of creative design work, fun experimentation and great front-end websites. - Cutting edge tech stack. - Hugely profitable business means lovely benefits and daily perks. - Benefits list is amazing, from a nearly-free top-end Sky package, to free gym membership, local discounts, saving schemes and so much more. - Decent machines to work on (choice of i7 PCs or Mac Pros for everyone not in the call centre, who have decent desktop machines). - Comfortable office environment with great facilities, few 'stupid' rules which are common (like don't drink at your desk, or don't have hot food in the office): we're adults and we don't need rules which make it weird and uncomfortable to 'live' in the workplace; if someone spills, they clean it up. Simple. - Little travel required between offices for many jobholders. - Slack is used across the entire business, allowing great comms (between meetings) between Marketing, Change, Customer services to - Agile and Waterfall working used (mostly Agile) and well understood by all of the business - Excellent graduate scheme to bring in developers. - Each squad (team) is responsible for their own area and has a LOT of autonomy to choose their best tech stack, their own architecture; DevOps environment.

Cons

- It's a gambling company and we're providing entertainment for people. sadly, some poeple struggle to see when they should slow down or stop spending money. Whilst SBG are one of, if not the best company for identifying people struggling with gambling and helping them, it's still doesn't give you the same feeling as working for e.g. a charity. - Relaxed culture might not be up your street! - True blue-collar workers would struggle with the relaxed atmosphere here. It's playful and jovial very often. - The average age of employees is probably around 28; could be good or bad but a lot of people outside of SBG see this as a bad thing, a limiting thing. - Management can be very hands-off which can be good and bad, depending on your style/ability/needs. - Higher management can push throuhg ideas which railroad ongoing work. - There's usually one or two things a year which can affect a lot of other work, but the required changes are important/worth doing, and everyone rallies to ensure delivery.

Advice to Management

The culture is what makes SBG. Please, don't ever change it. The little perks, the flexibility, the understanding of individualism and the way people can choose how they approach their work is what makes it such a great place to be.

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-12-24
  9. "Rewarding role with lots of room to own the strategy and develop skills!"

Current Employee - CRM Strategy Executive in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong management support, ability to own projects, no hierarchical limitations, everyone is listened to

Cons

Lack of proper HR processes, managers can sometimes be seen to take each others sides in under comfortable situations, pay needs reviewing

Advice to Management

Take HR complaints seriously, don't let personal judgements overshadow the great culture at SBG.

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-12-24
  10. "Quite simply the best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Head of Tax in Leeds, England

I have been working at Sky Betting & Gaming full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, great culture, great fun

Cons

The misperception of the sector in which we operate

Advice to Management

Keep hold of your best people and keep finding them new ways to grow and develop within the organisation

Sky Betting & Gaming2019-12-20