Slalom Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Slalom CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

1,096 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work/life balance is definitely the best I've experienced" (in 247 reviews)

• "I have a great people manager who cares about my success in this role & compensation" (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • "Little work/life balance/flexibility - Slalom will claim that their focus on" (in 31 reviews)

• "After all these years still so much staff aug work as an individual contributor with limited leadership support" (in 55 reviews)

"Interview Experience at Slalom"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Authentic and genuine people
    Opportunities to grow your skill set
    Frequent feedback
    Flexibility
    Ownership
    Employee owned
    Opportunities to get involved outside of the workplace

Cons

Lengthy interview process that caused me to get discouraged

"It's Just Consulting"

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

•Good coworkers
    •Cool management team
    •Fun off-sites

Cons

•Promotion unclear. Yes - I understand that slalom is "unique" - that everyone climbs the ranks at a different speed, and that they don't want to set time frames to get to SA, for example, as this would be an oversimplification. I agree with this in principle. What I don't agree with - is really the lack of understanding and communication regarding promotion. Others may not agree with me, but I don't agree with the ITP process. If Slalom is going to continue to be "leaner" than other consulting firms, continue to be more "personable" - I don't think this archaic form of promotion works, and can create a feeling of opacity and confusion in those that want to get promoted.
    Additionally - it seems to me that the way that you really get promoted is by building partnerships with clients and selling more work - not really the delivery aspect. Which can be very disheartening for a consultant, in my perspective. You get rewarded and promoted for selling work (not saying this is bad), but it can be very hard to get recognition even if you are giving it your all and doing great work individually.
    •Pay structure. I understand that a lot of companies do this - but when I was brought on to the position, they told me that I was at the "maximum" of the range for the consultant level - that there was no flexibility at all. However, as soon as you talk about potentially leaving - they promise to put you on a fast track to whatever the next level or pay grade may be. It just seemed like a lot of smoke and mirrors to me, and this lack of clarity made me not want to stay. Also, in general, pay seems to be lower than industry standards. This would be fine if you are working less hours than your consulting competitors - however - see my next point.
    •Hours. Now I believe this depends on what practice you are in - but many, many people have to work the 50-60 hr weeks that contradict the "45 hour max" that Slalom swears by. Not a lot to comment on here regarding hours.
    •"Interesting work" - There's a promise that you will work on interesting work the majority of the time - that the team actually turns down work that seems too boring. This may be true, but you still see people working on work that they would not consider to be challenging or related to how they want to grow their career.
    •Summary - At the end of the day - Slalom wants to be the golden consulting company that is different from the rest - but ends up being identical to its Big 4 competitors. I think the people are truly great that I worked with, but people/culture can only go so far when you are dealing with clients and are measured on how much work you can help sell.

Advice to Management

Ask yourself - What will make people want to stay here?

Slalom Response

19 Nov 2018 – President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. I would love to talk to you more about your feedback. I think some of the items here are what you are experiencing in your market and perhaps messaging you have heard from your... More

3. "Talent Acquisition Analyst"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Analyst in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Analyst in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Genuine, very bright, personable, high level of professionalism paired with high level of respect and acceptance for who I am as an individual and the experience and skills I bring. I will always remember my initial conversation with the first two recruiters. I went into the conversation prepared to speak, but also kind of frazzled about what I wanted in my next job. Upon leaving- I felt so enthused, energized and excited about what could be possible with Slalom! It was such a positive conversation that I thoroughly enjoyed! It was a game-changer for me and the path of my career- really showing me what could be possible in doing exciting work, building on my talent and passions, growing into different pathways, all with a culture of work/life balance.

Cons

Absolutely nothing has been negative.

Advice to Management

Thank you!

4. "Talent Acquisition Analyst"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Slalom claims to be dedicated to putting people first. I immediately felt the sincerity in that claim from the first telephone conversation. The company is thorough in making sure it is a fit for candidates as well as ensuring candidates are a fit for the company. Overall, the company is committed to fostering professional growth, providing a positive experience on all ends and challenging the status quo.

Cons

The interview process is extensive, it would be helpful if a projected timeline could be shared early in the hiring process. However, Slalom does a great job of keeping candidates informed in the meantime.

5. "Interview in Boston"

I have been working at Slalom full-time

Pros

It was a fantastic experience . I'm so thrilled to have joined the team.

Cons

None thus far, to be determined!

6. "Consultant"

I have been working at Slalom full-time

Pros

Great company culture and people

Cons

Compensation package can be more competitive

"Building careers, culture and clients"

Current Employee - Client Partner in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Client Partner in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

After a dozen years consulting in the Big 4, I moved to Slalom to help build the Boston office. Six years later I still feel it's the best career decision I've made. Slalom allows me to focus on things I'm passionate about, not just what I need to do at my client. I never feel I'm being told what to do, rather I'm being challenged to understand what I can do better and supported in that journey.
    When I made the switch, I worried a smaller company would limit growth but have found even more career opportunities – especially if you embrace an entrepreneurial spirit. While I no longer lead large off-shore teams, I am leading local teams of smart, multi-disciplinary consultants making massive impacts at clients. And it feels better doing it the right way, with respect for the individual, their family commitments, and career aspirations.

Cons

Slalom does not have a single approach to career growth, which can be challenging for some. For those who want to maximize their strengths and do more of what they love, it’s great. For those who do better with a checklist to get to the next level, it can be frustrating. Slalom is evolving in this space and providing more guidance than before. But it’s important to know career growth is still focused on the individual and guiding their passion versus a universal checklist of skills and activities.

8. "Love this place"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance, learning opportunities, culture, colleagues, work itself.

Cons

My particular team could be winning more work.

9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best company culture I've seen.

Cons

Because it's a very flat hierarchal structure, the idea of 'moving up' is very difficult to fully grasp.

Advice to Management

Be clearer regarding professional advancement opportunities and how those are applied to compensation adjustments.

"New Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Extremely professional and welcoming team based environment
    -The talent and experience of the current team is top notch
    -There are a ton of social events to help people to get to know one another

Cons

Too early to tell if what potential cons exist

Advice to Management

There is a general sense of excitement within the local office regarding how we will continue to propel our growth into 2019. People are hungry for the strategic plan and how it applies to them.

Showing 1,096 of 1,125 reviews