Slalom Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Slalom CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

1,044 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work/life balance is definitely the best I've experienced" (in 232 reviews)

• "I have a great people manager who cares about my success in this role & compensation" (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • "Little work/life balance/flexibility - Slalom will claim that their focus on" (in 30 reviews)

• "After all these years still so much staff aug work as an individual contributor with limited leadership support" (in 52 reviews)

"Salesforce Consultant"

Current Employee - Salesforce Consultant in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Salesforce Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work culture is very cool here. People are very helping. Organization is very flat. Leadership is very approachable and they are open to comments and feedback with no intentions of back firing. Feels like a family here (I mean it).

Cons

Leadership is putting in lot of effort to improve the standards in DC office but they should also define more clarity on individual's career progression project his tracjtory for next few yrs so that he/she can plan his career with Slalom.

Advice to Management

There are lot of positive energy and it gets scattered when the management is trying to do everything at once. Please try to channel those energy and form a roadmap for the company's growth. They are already doing that but I would to see that being continued.

2. "Amazing Talent"

I have been working at Slalom full-time

Pros

Diverse talent pool, work-life balance is perfect, great culture

Cons

Projects may require travel to other cities

Advice to Management

Keep up the current growth pace

"Red Flags"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Pay/Benefits: benefits are good, though 401K could be better. Pay is alright. Could be better, but I think it’s fair.
    I don’t regret working here because I truly have learned a lot. However, it’s not all that it’s cracked up to be, and I’m currently looking for an exit.

Cons

I waited this long to post this review, even though I noticed red flags after red flags on my projects. That is because I gave Slalom the benefit of the doubt, blaming either the client or the nature of Consulting. But as of today, I am realizing that the underlying reason for my unhappiness is the fact that Slalom truly doesn’t live up to the promises it sells to candidates during recruiting as well as the “Slalom values” it heavily advertises to attract Big 4 applicants.
    - Work/life balance is the biggest myth. I work as many hours at Slalom as I did at multiple Big 4 firms prior to coming here, if not more. Most projects are Slalom are understaffed and the scope of the work is poorly estimated. Maybe the people in leadership have good work life balance. However as Consultants, you are a slave. And I’m not talking 40-50 hour work weeks; trust me, I’m no stranger to hard work. I’m talking consistent 60-70 hour work weeks, but allowed to charge only 40 hours, because God forbid, you get interrogated if you’re going over the allotted hours. I really wish I could share a screenshot of my entire team being online at 10pm.
    - PTO counts against chargeability. Which negatively impacts bonuses. In fact, if you are below a certain chargeability level, you get negative bonuses. Since Slalom advertises so heavily as a firm that cares about people’s well-being, I would like to point out this hypocrisy. Note that HR will try to either not mention this or straight up lie when asked, so be careful.
    - People development: depends on luck. I’m lucky to have a great People Manager who *seems* to care about me. But I personally know people who have unfortunately been paired with leaders who only care about you if you’re part of the popular crowd. Which brings me to my next point.
    - Culture: very political. If you “piss off” the wrong person, your career and reputation here is done. If you suck up to the right person, you’ll get the necessary good feedbacks in Workday. If you are a white male with a salesperson attitude, you’ll fit in and get promoted quickly, regardless of your skill set.

Advice to Management

Hire people with Slalom values into leadership positions

Slalom Response

10 Jul 2018 – President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin. Would love to have a conversation with you before you leave Slalom - simply email me at johnt@slalom.com to set up a time to talk. I am going to forward to your market leader... More

4. "Interview Experiences"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Friendly people
    - High energy
    - Beautiful office (Please Don't lose that office space)
    - Team has great visions for the company
    - Going completely commercial in Washington DC is till skeptical to me but let's see how that works out
    - Great conversation in the interview doesn't feel an interview
    - Their trust on the candidates on what he speaks gives a lot of promise on how they will take care of the employees.

Cons

Am yet to join. So will be updating this section soon. But one common insider's review is that the client site commute could be a long one based on the project and location of customers. If you are traveling more than 1.5hr one way this is not a local client model at all.

Advice to Management

Try to project the career growth opportunities in the organization. Than projecting the cool gigs in the workspace and the friendly work culture which is very obvious when the candidate comes into the office. He can see for himself. A candidate always looks to grow in the opportunity he is pursuing. Projecting that in the interview discussions will help him see how he can navigate inside Slalom. But anyways I asked these questions specifically to get my answers. It would be great if the leadership speaks about that by themselves.

"Smart consultants paired with management that cares"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slalom is purpose-driven and it shows. Management is invested in the personal and professional development of consultants here. I’ve been given so many opportunities to learn and grow while working at Slalom, from informal brown bag lunches with consultants from practices other than my own, to actual technology training and conference opportunities that were paid for by the company.

Everyone from the market lead down to my people manager all seem to care about my well being. I know this isn’t the case in every market (see one of my negative reviews below) but in my market we are asked if a project is interesting to us before we are assigned. And we can say no! Demand for our services is such that consultants are allowed and encouraged to choose projects best suited to their interests/skill sets. And, of course, Slalom famously has its no unwanted travel policy, which is very real and much appreciated.

Its also worth noting that clients seem to have a very high opinion of Slalom, which in turn helps me take pride in our product and our company. In consulting, reputation is everything and Slalom’s is rock solid. I’m not saying folks don’t make human errors or projects never go off the rails because of course they do, but on the whole I believe Slalom produces smart, compassionate and purposeful consultants who do right by the client and genuinely look out for each other.

This is a good place to be.

Cons

No place is perfect, and neither is Slalom. My cons are twofold:

1) The market-centric design creates a fragmented organization and the services delivery can vary greatly between markets, which will confound national or global clients that interact with more than just one Slalom market. As a consultant, the market-driven approach is my friend: it’s what ensures that I can sleep in my own bed every night instead of a Hyatt Place every Monday through Thursday. But it undercuts the strengths that come with being a large organization. It’s hard to leverage what teams in LA or Boston have done, for example, because there is poor infrastructure set up to surface our work to the entire organization. The company seems to recognize this and lately we’ve been getting more communication about breakthrough projects and case studies from around the Slalom network, but I think more could and should be done to create a ‘one Slalom’ culture.

2) The firm’s rapid growth rate risks diluting its awesome workplace culture. They are recruiting so heavily from Accenture and Deloitte that I absolutely fear that we will become more like those forms and less like Slalom. I’ve seen practice leads from Accenture come in and run people like Accenture consultants which spells trouble to me, especially since Slalom prides itself at being different from its consulting peers. I generally suspect that growing larger will come at the cost of preserving the Slalom values that have propelled this firm to the forefront of professional services, but is like to be proven wrong.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on the core values and don’t trade them away for market growth!

6. "Great Environment & Great Leadership"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company atmosphere is very positive and energetic. The leadership team truly empowers there employees by giving them the freedom to pursue there career goals.

Cons

I don't have any cons currently at this point.

7. "Welcoming culture and friendly people!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone I have interacted with at Slalom is unbelievably friendly and welcoming. I am very excited about where I work, and can honestly say that I am in love with my future here.

Cons

I have a pretty hefty commute, which is over an hour. This is not necessarily Slalom's fault though, as I choose to live quite far into the suburbs.

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The veterans are wonderful.

Cons

Let me break it down:

Expectation: Local consulting means less travel
    Reality: 4 hour commute to some remote suburb with no option to work from home.

Expectation: Direct your career to what you want to do
    Reality: The Chicago market is already quite limited to healthcare and pharma clients. Slalom is not big enough to have the option to pick and choose projects within these industries - they staff people on any project they can sell.

Expectation: The firm has a fun culture with lots of employee events.
    Reality: You can attend events here and there if you’re not tired from your commute or your client work eating up your life. Chances are you won’t even make it to the Chicago office.

Don’t buy into the lip service. Question if this company is really taking you where you want to go, or if it’s just an illusion.

9. "Office Manager"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love my co-workers, boss, and work/life balance!

Cons

I honestly don't have any significant enough to mention.

10. "A Well Rounded Employer"

Current Employee - Delivery Leadership Consultant
    Current Employee - Delivery Leadership Consultant

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Focuses greatly on individualized, professional development of its employees. Supports requests for internal or external training, taking on leadership opportunities, and works with consultants to make sure they take on projects that fit into their goals and passions.
    Wonderful office space, in an amazing London location.
    Numerous "extra-curricular" opportunities including a football team, a CSR group, and a debate include.
    Regular, internal events to allow consultants and support staff alike to socialize and get to know one another. In consulting, this provides a lot of value as it's sometimes easy to feel as though you're not connected to your own company when you're at a client site all week.

Cons

Slalom is a fast-growing company, and with that comes growing pains. Each individual office seems to be growing, and the number of offices in each region may grow too. There are lots of ideas on how best to support this growth, but sometimes not enough time to go through with all those ideas. On the other hand, this provides great opportunity for staff to take on different aspects to support it as well.

Showing 1,044 of 1,068 reviews