Slalom Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.4
Slalom CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work life balance is the best I have experienced" (in 258 reviews)

• "great people at Slalom (too bad if you don't work with them directly)" (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • "Little work/life balance/flexibility - Slalom will claim that their focus on" (in 31 reviews)

• "401k match has improved but could always be better" (in 58 reviews)

"Great Culture, Welcoming People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get acclimated and comfortable at Slalom
    Great opportunities internally for both professional and personal development
    Awesome company events

Cons

Nothing that I can think of after my first 6 months.

Advice to Management

Keep providing opportunities for employees to better themselves and continue to be active listeners to what your employees want out of their time with the company

2. "Opportunity, opportunity, opportunity."

Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Intentional leaders, investment in employees

Cons

Seem to always run out of snacks for local constants

Advice to Management

Keep inspiring your people and leveraging their ideas.

3. "Amazing and Rewarding Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, good benefits, employees and coworkers are a great network and feel more like family, supportive, celebrate employee and team achievements, assist with growth and opportunities, training courses available, CEO is approachable, displays humility, respect, and compassion for the employees. VAMOOSE rocks! which is the yearly company gathering to celebrate employees, promote team building, and meet fellow peers.

Cons

Future contracts/projects can be spontaneous or unforeseeable but that is to be expected with the nature of consulting work. I wish there was more remote projects and opportunities. This is still awesome company. I love my Slalom family

Advice to Management

More leniency on remote opportunities.

"Great benefits"

Former Employee - IT Support Analyst in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - IT Support Analyst in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative space with great people

Cons

Growing pains with fast growth

Advice to Management

Focus on communication and team

5. "Not perfect, but very close and striving to get there"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked at Slalom for well over a year, on divers type of engagements with different clients. Here are the strengths:
    1. Culture: Senior management is working hard at fostering a great culture of collaboration. support and inclusiveness ... in an agile kind of way (i.e. you are entrusted to figure out the right solution and Managing Directors are available to help/unblock you)
    2. Client list: While the UK branch is fairly recent, the client list is really starting to be very impressive and exciting to work for!
    3. Workplace: The office is right by the Borough Market, has just been fully refurbished, with floor to ceiling windows facing the Thames river ... it is a very conducive, practical and stimulating workplace.
    4. Colleagues: The caliber of people hired is really impressive. In all my time there, and even while working with US market folks, I've always been proud of my colleagues ... never been disappointed!

Cons

Now of course, the place isn't perfect or without areas for improvement.
    But the list is both short, and the attitude is to tackle those issues head-on versus burying them.
    1. Salary: Was told during the hiring process that salary negotiation wasn't limited to once a year, but when I introduced the subject, my MD told me that we could discuss it during our annual review. I also witnessed a colleague negotiating substantially higher day rate with a client during engagement renewal for which our management refused to translate into a salary increase to that employee when asked for. Though, in all fairness, salaries seem to be in-part with the medium range of the market.
    2. Fast growth: While not a con intrinsically, it can lead to culture dilution and turning the place into another "Big 4" grinder which is more focus on milking accounts then repeat client due to amazing work being done or because we are pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved.

Advice to Management

Culture is a living organism and should be managed as a competitive advantage. Hence, a strong focus on walking the talk and leading by example should be a priority. Therefore, I'd recommend higher management to strengthen the transparency approach which is in the company's DNA when it comes to communicating on major items such as:
    * International growth strategy
    * Employee training strategy
    * Career opportunities

"Inclusion and Diversity and feedback."

Former Employee - Consultant in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Slalom has extremely smart people that do very innovative things. They afford individuals who want to work closer to home the ability to do so. Some executives go out there way to ensure you thrive and are successful. They give you to take whatever training will enhance your career and increase your professional development.

Cons

***Disclaimer - These cons are specific to the location I was hired into and does not represent Slalom as a whole firm***

- While there is one global brand being pushed externally. Internally each location handles internal processes and procedures under the guidance of the GM and his local leadership team. So there is no streamlining of process across the locations in certain areas and categories.
    - Their strategy when it comes to project scope and definition is below industry standards. Most of their projects start off very scrappy but the finished product is something to crave about.
    - Career coaching and continuous feedback is severely lacking.
    - Aligning resources to the right projects does not happen often
    - While inclusion and diversity continue to be a mainstream topic in Corporate America, it is severely lacking at all levels and all groups.
    - The benefits are subpar compared to their peers in the Consulting industry.
    - The project onboarding experience needs a lot of work.
    - Internal trainings need to be developed better and presented by qualified resources who have that experience and expertise.
    - Each location still has a startup mentality, so the expectation for things being in place when you join is misleading.

Advice to Management

- Consider developing a more robust process for continuous feedback and career development even at the client engagement level. To ensure employees are getting the right level of support.
    - Place more emphasis on inclusion and diversity in each location.
    - Ensure resources are getting aligned to projects that match their strengths and skills.
    - Consider revamping some of your internal training programs.
    - Consider accelerating your InfoSec initiatives across all markets.

"Inclusive, Diverse and Dynamic Workplace"

Current Employee - Analyst in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is such a pleasure to work around so many intelligent, hardworking people who still maintain a focus on being inclusive and friendly. In my time at the company I have experienced a number of helpful trainings and encountered so many people who are willing to help when you ask. Great office location as well. The leaders work very hard to make sure that the work we do is interesting and fulfilling to their teams as well.

Cons

Not many. The company pays a lot of attention to the individual and where they want to work and what they want to learn.

Advice to Management

Feedback, feedback, feedback. As a leader it can be easy to forget that feeling of just wanted more time with your manager to learn and develop.

"Feels good, some times"

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kind of feeling good when on a not so bad project. More flexible somehow than a full time job.

Cons

Not have project all the time. Well it only feels good at first 2 weeks staying at home, and then, no more.

"Consulting lead - Not sales run"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Slalom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great base pay.
    - Opportunities abound for people who can work like consultants
    - Growing company with lots of perks.
    - Consulting culture is strong and overall people seem happy

Cons

- This is NOT a sales run organization.
    - Very much considered a 'necessary evil' from the consulting teams.
    - Cut throat environment where sales leadership will micro manage deals and try to take credit and muscle their way into deals.

Advice to Management

- Senior sales professionals should be given the full spectrum of resources to succeed in their positions, especially in new markets.

"Love working here!!!"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance! The local model supports having a rich personal life. My manager really cares about my growth and what I’m interested in working on. They check in often to make sure our current project is working for me and that I’m happy. It’s safe for me to speak up if I’m not happy because my manager works with me as my advocate to support me and my career goals. Together we are able to find solutions either on my current project or an exit strategy to transition to a better fitting project.

Cons

It’s a minor con, but because we are growing, when we hire new folks, often times they are sent to the client site in the first or second day on the job. It can be challenging for them to get a feel for our culture and company if they aren’t at least spending some time at our HQ in the beginning. Of course other Slalom folks at the clients site spend lots of time with new folks helping them get their bearings but I’ve heard many new folks say they feel more like they work for the client in the beginning before they have a chance to attend our trainings and quarterlies. This is an area of improvement for us and totally achievable.