Slalom Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.5
Slalom CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work life balance is the best I have experienced" (in 254 reviews)

• "I have a great people manager who cares about my success in this role & compensation" (in 72 reviews)

Cons
  • "Little work/life balance/flexibility - Slalom will claim that their focus on" (in 31 reviews)

• "401k match has improved but could always be better" (in 58 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best experience of my career"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Leadership supports consultants and project teams
    - Awesome culture. Everyone I've worked with starts and ends the day with greetings.
    - Office perks. There are reoccurring Friday afternoon office social events, other holiday events, weekly brown bag meetings for learning.
    - Leadership has delivered on improving benefits like the 401k matching (as of now, 50% of the first 6% is matched)
    - Leadership and colleagues care about each other and the clients we serve
    - Opportunities and leadership support/visibility to work on innovative technologies through hackathons and sometimes client work.

Cons

- Unclear path for career progression at times
    - Clients and projects can be less than ideal at times
    - Benefits are average

Advice to Management

While it is a goal to grow rapidly, keep in mind the aspects of Slalom that really differentiates it from other consulting organizations. In my opinion these include making sure we sell the right types of projects to inspire and motivate our consultants; and maintaining our culture.

Slalom Response

2 Apr 2018 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your review. It's wonderful to hear that you feel supported by your local leadership, feel connected to your colleagues, and feel as though you have access to innovative technologies... More

2. "Best job I have ever had!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great pay and benefits
    - Open communication about career path and development
    - Truly care about their employees and their career development
    - Great work life balance

Cons

I have no cons or complaints

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, it's working

"Grateful I made the move to Slalom!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great recruiting team that moved the process along quickly given that I had another offer
    - Nicest group of people you'll ever work with
    - Reasonable hours
    - Intelligent, hardworking colleagues
    - Fun, young culture
    - Interesting projects
    - Leadership asks for and listens to feedback (e.g., working on making the benefits better - maternity leave just increased to four months and paternity to three weeks)

Cons

- 7 holidays
    - They say it's an “opt-in” culture but your involvement internally does affect your bonus, which is challenging for someone who's reserved
    - Slalom doesn't reimburse you for mileage or parking and parking at some clients costs $25 per day. I wish I had fully realized that when I negotiated my offer - it adds up
    - Takes a year to start receiving the company 401(k) match

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! You care about your employees and you listen to their feedback. There has been a lot of talk about the changes you've made to the benefits. Employees recognize the changes and appreciate them.

4. "Amazing on-boarding process, company culture, and work-life balance"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time

Pros

- Higher management really care about your work-life balance
    - Well developed on-boarding process that allowed me to obtain the necessary skills to be able to implement in future projects
    - Amazing co-workers that are all passionate, intelligent, and fun to work with!

Cons

- Archaic building (Not really a con, but I prefer a more young and vibrant modern work space)

Advice to Management

Keep up the caring and inclusive environment that is provided!

"Not selling? Forget about it."

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Slalom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture at Slalom has been really great. Your peers will be smart, driven, and fun to hang out with. In the past, the compensation was on par with many other firms. Free snacks are a nice touch along with very warm and friendly recruiting/reception teams. Very well done! The promise of the local model is real. You will never be asked to travel.

Cons

If you're technical and not interested in doing sales, don't bother joining. You will waste your life on staff aug roles with no promotion in site. Why? Nowhere to promote you to. Slalom is very flat and only the sales relevant roles move up. Smart, technical, and deliver great work? You'll be passed over by the people that scream the loudest. Local model is a double-edged sword. Expect to not have any tolls/mileage reimbursed. We have projects all over the city (not necessarily Houston either) i.e., Energy Corridor, Woodlands, Clear lake, Galleria, Downtown Houston and so on. Have to commute between multiple clients and locations to help out. No reimbursement, but "thanks!"

Advice to Management

Remember the days when it was people/clients first and not about how we can get to the next billion? The cutting board to kick off the cooking site, slalom blanket, Yeti cups were great at letting employees feel special. Where did that go? Turned into a $50 voucher to by Slalom gear. If you're going to start acting Big 4, as employees we may as well go work for the Big 4. Real career tracks, larger pay bands, and much better benefits.

"Great culture"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer (Build D&A) in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer (Build D&A) in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of good projects
    Leaders care about employees
    You won't feel alone, reporting manager will be there to help out and guide if needed

Cons

Unclear promotion process
    Designing and maintaining solid/clean code development practices

"Local Office Structure Good and Bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of nice coworkers, willing to put in work, always smiling. Family like vibes from people you actually work with

Cons

Leadership is blind to consultant value. Underpaid (came from Big 4). Took away mileage reimbursement with no detailed reasoning, likely just to boost profits for the office quarterly reports

Advice to Management

bring back mileage reimbursement, especially those of us who are commuting 100+ miles round trip a day for YOU. Nickel and diming your own consultants does not play well and will result in bad work.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, company culture, local business model (no traveling unless desired), focus on giving back to the local community through volunteering and pro-bono work.

There is no "up or out" model - you are encouraged to grow your depth and breadth of skills, but you won't get pushed out if you just want to be a "consultant" rather than climb the ladder.

Cons

Compensation varies by market (of course) but in this location, doesn't seem to have caught up to average market rates. Benefits are improving year-by-year, but could be better.

There are a LOT of work-related committees and events, both during and after business hours. To really stand out consistently, and get ahead, it seems as though you need to be involved in multiple internal efforts and show up to most of the events.

This is fine for extroverts, people who enjoy being extremely active, or those without families, but for others, it's difficult to find the time and energy.

You won't get pushed out if you don't engage in the "extracurriculars" at the highest level, but you'll likely find that your comp doesn't advance as quickly as those that do.

Advice to Management

We're headed in the right direction and at the right pace.

Please review the compensation model; the internal initiatives are important and deserve consideration, but be careful that you don't end up punishing those who focus on delivering outstanding client work and don't have the bandwidth to be highly involved with internal company initiatives.

9. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Slalom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, amazing people, great work life balance

Cons

There are no cons that I have noticed

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you have been doing.

"Slalom's value proposition decreases dramatically over time."

I worked at Slalom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At first, the company seems like an engaging place to work. Lots of energy and friendly enough people. Company hosted events can be fun. If you are liked enough by senior leaders, you may get invited to their inner circle. If your leader is good, you will get some mentoring that may advance your career.

Cons

Good leaders are very few and far between. If you are not selling work, there is no meaningful advancement. The novelty of social engagement wears down, and you become an outsider to your org, office, and practice group.

You may realize, too late, that you wasted your time in your billable title, while doing the real leadership work that keeps people together and going strong. Be prepared to be let down by a failed recognition system that values people who can brag the most effectively. Eventually, you leave, disappointed in Slalom for not seeing your value and accomplishments. You leave disappointed in yourself for being fooled by a false corporate culture.

You will leave and see Slalom for the machine that it is; it takes talented people and makes them sales people, or marginalized experts, while chasing the elusive 50% margin to make the highest leaders extremely rich for doing nothing more than standing up a pyramid scheme.

Advice to Management

I've already given all the advice I could throughout 5+ year tenure. My advice is to people to leave and go elsewhere when they discover they can be more than the consultant they are billed as.