SmithBucklin Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated Nov 23, 2019

2.6
SmithBucklin CEO Matt Sanderson
Matt Sanderson
Pros
  • "This is a great place to start your career especially in event planning(in 17 reviews)

• "Great benefits and exciting fast paced office environment(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Consistently set work-life balance boundaries to maintain your sanity here(in 29 reviews)

• "Change that - or we we will continue to see high turnover(in 16 reviews)

1. "It's okay.."

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get a lot of experience in a short amount of time. If you're lucky enough to land on a good team, the people are usually pretty nice.

Cons

Growth exists but it tends to be very slow moving. The company doesn't offer many perks of working there other than paying your salary on time. This is a place you work at for no more than 2-3 years and then leave for something better... Cause there's definitely something better out there.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people! There's many opportunities for employees to share their thoughts on what the company can be doing better however none of those comments are ever put into practice.

SmithBucklin2019-11-23
  2. "Glad I am not the only one"

Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Met great people and got great experience that helped in the long run after leaving.

Cons

Management does not set up employees for success. They tell employees to speak up regardless of level and the second you speak up, your job is at stake. SmithBucklin has no problem dropping their employees because it is an at will company, so if they don't like you or you don't agree with management, there is a good chance you will get fired for it with a days notice. Finally, there is no diversity at this company... if that is something you are looking for.

Advice to Management

Trending ~ your employees are unhappy. Do something about it.

SmithBucklin2019-11-09

"Don't walk away... RUN!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some nice people and a great River North location. A decent place to gain some experience if you're a new graduate looking and the pay was decent!

Cons

This was hands down the worst job I've ever had, and this is not the kind of place where most employees will find a long-term career. And truly, that is such a shame because SmithBucklin, with its (mostly) bright, creative, and hard-working employees, has true potential. Entry- and mid-level employees are treated like work horses and expected to manage too many clients. They'll tell you in the interview that you... might have 4-6 clients, but the reality for my team was typically 8-13. I was vocal about feeling overworked when I had 13 clients, but my supervisor disagreed, told me I was under-utilized, and said be looking to add to my workload. Turnover is truly astounding, and roles were not always back-filled, which worsened the endless workloads. Work product suffers because everyone is frazzled by their workloads, and mistakes are handled with finger pointing and blame games. The matrix hierarchy makes for confusing and ineffective feedback loops, and overall, the environment feels chaotic. I felt like I had workplace PTSD after I left and it took a solid six months, if not longer, to stop feeling angry any time I thought about SmithBucklin. I'm sure there are worse places to work, but there are also many far better ones.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they tell you they are unhappy!

SmithBucklin2019-10-29

"Don’t"

Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you need to get experience fast; this is the place.

Cons

This, by far, may be the worst place to work. You have meetings scheduled from the minute you walk in, to the minute you walk out. This leaves no room for strategic thinking for client success. You basically apply 10% of your effort to 1000 things, so there is never consistency in the results clients get because everyone is rushed, overwhelmed and overworked. Management is not involved, so there is no umbrella to... provide a general strategic approach while chaos is happening under them. The people are fine but if you’re actually looking for a long-term career where you can invest in, hone in on your skill sets and acquire more to have opportunities to go then this is not the place. They depend on recent grads who have limited options, so they overwork them until they find an opportunity that doesn’t require 24hr work for this field.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people. You know there are discrepancies in the workflow and the process drives people to leave. That’s not just on HR, that starts with you.

SmithBucklin2019-10-23

"Learn A Lot, Burn Out Fast"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is fast-paced, and you'll learn a lot.

Cons

Non-existent work-life balance, unreasonable about # of clients and work load, low-level employees get blamed for everything, lots of stress-crying in the bathroom, some of the managers are rude without consequence, technology is terrible. There's literally no reason to stay.

Advice to Management

Restructure, hire more, make this a more incentivizing place to work for millennials.

SmithBucklin2019-10-21

"Good Place for a First Job"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time for more than a year

Pros

SmithBucklin has a fairly young employee base. For a lot of people here, SmithBucklin is like their first full-time job out of college. While this company definitely has cons, the pros are kind of worth it (for a short time at least). Starting out, you'll likely get a competitive salary and you'll slowly get acclimated to your client associations. If you're part of a good team, training is quite thorough and you'll... feel prepared moving forward. For many, there's an opportunity to travel and to get involved in some great projects. This is the place to truly strengthen your time management, project management, and communication skills in a fast paced environment.

Cons

Although you'll get a lot of professional experience while working here, you can quickly burn out if you're not careful. It's common to have at least 4+ clients while juggling similar responsibilities within all. It can feel as if you have 5 jobs within one title. My advice is to say "no" as much as possible if you're already busy/overworked but this is hard to do since you're often encouraged to go above and beyond... what you're already doing to get a promotion. Asking for help is encouraged as well but it can be hard to find the light at the end of the tunnel when busy periods for clients can often conflict or run back to back. Consistently set work-life balance boundaries to maintain your sanity here!

Advice to Management

Continue sending out employee surveys to get a pulse on employee satisfaction and actually make an effort to listen/take action. Across all departments, çonsider lessening client loads to a limit of 2-3 and high employee turnover might decrease. Find ways to streamline processes/systems across clients to make learning curves easier for employees when adding to their client workloads. In comparison to some stand... alone associations, SmithBucklin is paying the same amount of money but requiring 3-5x the amount of work output. To make it worthwhile, include more perks/benefits to working here (ex . summer hours, more PTO, paid holidays). The one work from home day policy should apply to all full time employees, not just coordinators and above.

SmithBucklin2019-09-07
  7. "Okay"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time

Pros

Good, young crowd with a good culture

Cons

Outdated practices that don't help with your job

SmithBucklin2019-08-21
  8. "Great employee stock options"

Former Employee - Senior Coordinator

I worked at SmithBucklin full-time

Pros

Employee stock option program, meaningful professional development and progression, annual bonus

Cons

Poor vacation allowance, health insurance coverage can be spotty

SmithBucklin2019-08-19

"It depends on your boss, like most jobs."

I worked at SmithBucklin

Pros

Ability to work on different clients. Lots of good events services people. Some very nice people.

Cons

They have a few really terrible managers that lack creativity and are not open to new ideas. Clients are usually on lean budgets so you cannot make major changes. It’s a really tough business. Not sure management wants the kind of tough feedback that could improve the company.

Advice to Management

There really is not a way for employees to raise valid concerns about their supervisor. A mechanism should be put in place where employees can raise concerns without fear of retribution.

SmithBucklin2019-07-20
  10. "Almost perfect"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SmithBucklin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to grow! Lots of opportunities.

Cons

The ED’s a draining young talent. There is a fine line between delegation and laziness.

Advice to Management

Overhaul the ED expectations. They should be who the professional job family aspire to be not the reason turnover is so ramped.

SmithBucklin2019-07-13