Social Tables Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Dan Berger

"I <3 Social Tables"

Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Tables

Pros

Social Tables is truly a hospitality company - everyone who works here and everyone we work with is genuinely caring and wonderful to interact with. On top of that, ST has all the best perks of any great tech start-up: fast paced environment, industry transforming technology, upward mobility, bright pink walls & fun conference spaces, hover-board & razors for in-office transportation, unlimited PTO, extremely... intelligent managers... on and on.

Cons

No pets allowed in the office :(

Social Tables2016-03-16

"A company in need of a serious wakeup call"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Tables full-time for less than a year

Pros

New office is nice. Some people are great and work really hard! CMO is great and should be a model of how things should be done.

Cons

Social Tables has all of the elements on the facade of a great company- a new office, startup culture, and young employees who work long hours. You can think of Social Tables like an onion. Once you start working here, it feels like a dream job, and then as you start to peel back layers (as you are there longer), you realize that there are some serious issues with the company. It starts from the top with... in-experienced leadership. CEO is far too personal with some employees and lets friendships interfere with good management (and unwarranted promotions or opportunities). There is much pettiness involved- as is the case when valuable people left much to the chagrin of the CEO- and secrecy surrounding what really happened. You say the company has won a lot of industry awards for being so awesome?! Well- when you begin to realize that these awards are won due to one person writing in a sterling review of the company and not a general consensus, those awards begin to look fairly artificial. Apart from the young leadership up top (well, some older C level talent is being hired now) there is young and first time leadership and managing happening throughout the organization and it is clear based upon performance. The younger managers are really not in a position to be managing anyone - they do not instill confidence and are ineffective at leading the company forward and getting employees to be better versions of themselves (1 caveat is the CMO who is great and has a happy department despite his young age (so, it can be done)). Now- top level talent- well you can say goodbye to them because this company is either purging themselves of talent through firings that are questionable at best (get ready for all of your internal communications to be read by suspicious and petty leadership) or talented individuals across the company are leaving to pursue better opportunities that pay a decent wage for DC standards. Now- don't go complaining about salary at Social Tables, because the CEO will enter an emotionally anger charger tear filled speech to the entire company about how that "is ridiculous". Many employees are seeking to leave, top talent has already left, and management can't seem to find a solution to the many shortcomings of the company. Do yourself a favor and seek alternate employment if possible. A former top employee said so them self that, "the 3 year outlook of this company doesn't look great and it most likely won't be around). Get ready for an incredibly understanding and forceful reply from the VP of People in the comments section and take what you will from it. **You may note that there are so many great reviews posted on here besides this one- those are requested at the behest of leadership to help with hiring**

Advice to Management

Re-think hiring strategies and overall future of the company. Remove the CEO from low level hiring decisions and have older and more experienced leadership across the company.

Social Tables2016-03-19

March 22, 2016VP of People Operations

Hi Tabler - thanks for your feedback. I do respond to every post here good or bad to acknowledge that we've seen it and that we take your views seriously. I appreciate the feedback and welcome any suggestions you have to improve - we have several tools to help you with that, Dan ...

"Smart People, Fun Environment, Hard Work"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

The people are SMART and driven to maintain and grow this successful company, but we have a ton of fun while doing it. The core values are not just something written on a website, but engrained into every decision made on a daily basis. Social Tables' personality can be seen in our brand new office- from the hot pink elevator bank to the meeting room with spin bikes in it we are definitely enjoying our home in Metro... Center. I truly look forward to going to work every day, and when I'm not at work I'm bugging my friends and family with stories of all the awesome things I'm doing at Social Tables.

Cons

Change happens fast and often, if you like a lot of set rules and need a lot of structure to be successful this might not be the best fit for you. It's also definitely not a place that you can come to work and be on Facebook all day- each member of the company is critical to it's success and you have to be excited for that challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Loving the new office!! I think once we get to a point where all teams are fully staffed we will reach the work/life balance that works for us!

Social Tables2015-12-31

December 31, 2015VP of People Operations

Thanks for the review. I think we are all pretty excited about the new office!

"The place to be! Don't miss out!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Tables full-time for less than a year

Pros

Onboarding process is fantastic. Lots of talented people to work with. Company culture is great! Beautiful and accommodating place to work at. We know how to work hard and have fun at the same time! Social Tables software provides the best in class technology that brings properties and planners together. Everybody wants a piece of the pie - don't miss out!

Cons

A LOT OF CHANGE. If you don't like change and music, this is not the place for you!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Social Tables2015-12-31

"Company Review"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Tables full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, young people who are fun but very professional.

Cons

Fast paced environment that is constantly changing (for the better), but it can be hard to keep up with if you don't like constant change.

Social Tables2015-11-02

November 2, 2015VP of People Operations

Thanks for the review!

"Great Energy"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Social Tables full-time for less than a year

Pros

Product is revolutionary in the hospitality industry Customers love the product

Cons

Cramped Working Conditions In the growth phase.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Social Tables2015-08-24

August 24, 2015VP of People Operations

Thanks for the review. Hold in there. Nice spacious new office coming in December 2015!

"Fast paced, enthusiastic environment with driven employees."

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Tables full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a ton of pros to working at Social Tables, but the constantly evolving environment is definitely number one. Social Tables is filled with young, enthusiastic people who are full of passion and drive. This means that you get to surround yourself with people who are hungry to be the absolute best that they can be. We are encouraged to take on new projects and push ourselves to constantly improve. I can... honestly say that has led to me learning more in the last year and a half than I did in all of my previous jobs. I'm involved in projects that I would have never dreamed of and given responsibilities that usually fall to those much more senior than myself. Thanks to the faith Social Tables shows in its employees and the opportunities that faith provides, I have springboarded my career by at least 5 years. Becoming part of the ST family was the best career decision I could have made!

Cons

Because Social Tables is a young, drive company where employees are given ample opportunity to stretch themselves and learn more, we work a lot of hours with the expectation that we will produce high quality work and be constantly evolving/learning. If you aren't the kind of person that does well in a super fast paced environment, Social Tables may not be the best fit for you.

Social Tables2015-07-13

"Great Team, Exciting Work."

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Social Tables full-time for less than a year

Pros

The chance to work with new/exciting technology, you really get the feeling that you are doing things that have never been before/you are pushing technological boundaries.Everyone around is clearly very excited about what they are doing and it's hard not to get excited yourself. A definite feeling of autonomy and that you control where you are going in the organization.

Cons

Th downside to the upside of autonomy is that guidance can be lacking at teams on what it takes to go where. This works for people some people like myself but others may struggle with it so be aware. The hours can be long and a lot of people put in a lot of time so if you're looking for the typical corporate hour structure this is probably not your cup of tea.

Advice to Management

Stay proactive while the company continues to grow very quickly. Things that worked for a company of 20 people might not work for a company of 120, and as long as everyone stays cognizant of that I think we'll continue to keep rocking.

Social Tables2015-07-13

"An amazing team solving some very challenging problems in the hospitality world"

Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Tables

Pros

- Incredible professional development! The company really cares about the growth of each employee. There are always brown-bag lunch talks given by guest speakers and/or employees on all kinds of cool topics. The company also gives a $1000/year education stipend to each employee that can be spent on things such as attending a conference, online courses, etc... - Awesome culture driven completely by the people!... There are hobby-oriented clubs for pretty much anything you can think of (movie club, basketball club, restaurant of the month club, push-ups club...you can even create your own if you want!). Everyone is very friendly and easy-going. Has a very family-like atmosphere to it. - Amazing engineering culture with a strong emphasis on using modern open-source technologies to solve very challenging problems. All of the engineers have a true love of learning and are always trying to grow their skills and knowledge. Great sense of camaraderie amongst the Product Development team

Cons

The company did suffer from employee work-life balance problems and miscommunication issues between upper-management, but most of those have been addressed in the past half-year. Sometimes the company can try to be too ambitious relative to the number of people we have to actually execute on the ideas.

Advice to Management

-Instead of trying to solve a number of different disparate problems in the industry, try to focus on one or two and really knock them out of the ballpark. - I have really enjoyed the recent emphasis on better employee work-life balance! Good work-life means happier employees and more productive people! - I would love to see more experienced, non-Millennial generation employees. They bring more experience and... can provide guidance and mentorship to the younger employees. - Continue to invest in your employees and help keep this amazing culture thriving!

Social Tables2015-07-11

July 12, 2015VP of People Operations

Thanks for leaving a review and for the thoughtful management feed back. Keep the feedback coming!

"Space to be creative and grow"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Wonderful people. I've made some of my closest friends here. We are a fun time! -Career development- Lots of focus on how your career with Social Tables is going to progress and how you can develop as a person -Interesting work. It seems like all departments strive to create work that you'll find rewarding and want to do every day.

Cons

-The hours are relatively inflexible, depending on the team. We are making strides on that front, but generally you are expected to be working from 8:30-6. (Your job will often require that you work longer than that) -You will be expected to fit into the culture here- attending social events and activities outside of work hours. I personally love this, but if you want separation from your work and personal life,... this is not the place to find it.

Advice to Management

The hiring process didn't actually prepare me for what my role would be, what my hours would be, or what expectations would be. Everything worked out, but transparency during that process can be improved!

Found 66 reviews