Southern Wine & Spirits of America Employee Reviews about "good benefits"

Updated 1 Apr 2017

3.2
Southern Wine & Spirits of America Chairman and CEO Harvey R. Chaplin
Harvey R. Chaplin
Pros
  • "Met some great people & life long friends(in 23 reviews)

• "Good benefits if you are in the union and you will never go thirsty(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management treats you like a number(in 21 reviews)

• "Long hours can be hard and getting up early can be a bummer(in 13 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "good benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Zero Value Placed On Existing Relationships"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boise, ID

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility, typically a fun working environment, freebies, expense account, customer base is friendly, pretty good benefits, company paid phone, car allowance

Cons

"Regional" management 2 time zones away?!?! Said management had ZERO clue about markets outside of their home state. Also, there was far too much paperwork and reporting - spent more time on conference calls and spreadsheets than I did out selling.

2. "Warehouse"

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits of America

Pros

The company is growing and getting bigger pay could be better the is a good thing good benefits and bonuses

Cons

It's sad work for 10yrs and try to transfer back to were to where you started from and first started when they first open the new warehouse its sad😢

"Account Manager/Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, SC

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large company. Good benefits. Pretty good training.

Cons

You have to drive your own vehicle with no assistance for gas, etc. No cell phone assistance either. Some management is of old school mentality and manages by negative feedback.

September 6, 2016TMP Rep

Hello and thank you for leaving your honest review. We are wondering if you would be interested in providing us more information related to your concern with SWS management. We strive to provide our employees with an environment that each person feels valued in. Please send us an email at SWSCorporateTalentManagement@southernwine.com with your name/location and problem description, we would like to try and be of further assistance to help better future employees.

"Okay Place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good as well as vacation/sick days. You get some perks working for an alcohol distributor.

Cons

If you work in the office the pay is terrible unless you are in sales. Your "bonus" during the holidays is laughable. The only way to move up or make money is to get into sales and that isn't easy. Feedback isn't well balanced, you're constantly told what you are doing wrong and vary rarely given positive feedback. Just not a positive environment.

March 10, 2016Inbound Marketing Manager

Hi, thank you for taking the time to give your honest feedback, and we're sorry that you had this experience. We strive to give our employees a work environment where they feel comfortable and supported. Would you consider writing us at SWSCorporateTalentManagement@southernwine.com to describe your experience? Please also include your name and location. We take these reviews very seriously and would appreciating hearing more about your experience. Thank you.

5. "pos warehouse manager"

4.0
    POS/Ware House Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits of America for more than 10 years

Pros

lots of friends and goo coworkers ,good benefits,lots of hours and good managers

Cons

some bad managers and people in the wrong line of work and duties

February 2, 2016Inbound Marketing Manager

Hi, we apologize for your bad experience with some managers. Would you be interested in providing us with more information so that we may try to address the problem? Please send us an email at SWSCorporateTalentManagement@southernwine.com with your name, location and a description of the problems you faced. Thanks for leaving the honest review. We value the critique and will try to make adjustments as necessary.

"What have you done lately company"

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits of America full-time

Pros

Good benefits if you are in the union and you will never go thirsty. Plenty of incentives to make extra money

Cons

Unrealistic expectations and quotas with too many promises to various suppliers

February 9, 2016Inbound Marketing Manager

Hi, thanks for your honest response. We're sorry you've had a bad experience with a manager. We strive to make all of our employees feel heard and respected by their managers. Please send us an email at SWSCorporateTalentManagement@southernwine.com with your name, location and a description of the situation and we will try to be of further assistance.

7. "Very traditional corporate culture"

Former Employee - Chain Territory Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good benefits - Stable job

Cons

- There are too many people who hide and collect a paycheck - Upward mobility is very limited (like I said, there is a strong corporate culture) - Management will always push you to unrealistic goals by lying about intangible rewards - Terrible work-life balance - The entire compensation package seems nice at first but you'll soon discover that the pay is below-average for the amount of work you do - Management is out of touch with lower-level employees

Continue reading

"Warehouse worker southern wine & spirits"

4.0
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Puyallup, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay, union, easy work, 4 10's, the medical benefits are good but kind of expensive for being Union.

Cons

Lazy people, union contract sucks. It's really easy work, but the employees are lazy and don't want the over time so they always bring in temps to take all of our over time.

9. "Merchandiser"

in Union City, CA

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits of America

Pros

Good benefits, decent starter job to enter Wine and Spirits industry

Cons

Prepare for 5 am start times, majority of time is spent as manual labor schlepping hundreds of cases of wine and Spirits every day = retail stores will expect and take advantage of "free labor" from their perspective. Prevalent nepotism. Any advancements to more lucrative positions outside of company with a Supplier you will compete against your boss (DM) or someone's connected relative.

"Need better Technology"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits and good pay

Cons

Seems like they depend on Excel for EVERYTHING, and the programs and technology they use is always 5-20 years behind. We currently use a program that was written in the 80s and has not been updated since then. Sales seem to be the only people that matter.

September 3, 2015Agency

Hello! Thank you for letting us know. Are you interested in providing more info? If so, go to http://on.fb.me/1EE9QIP and send us a direct message with your name/location/description of the situation. We apologize for the situation you endured, and hope other associates were able to improve your work environment. We encourage our employees to discuss these situations with upper-level management and HR.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 23 English Reviews