Sovos Reviews

Updated 10 May 2021

Sovos President and CEO Andy Hovancik
Andy Hovancik
Pros
Cons
  • "There is also a high turnover in a few offices(in 12 reviews)

• "Low pay, bad benefits and a boring atmosphere(in 9 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Great Company with Great Benefits"

5.0
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sovos full-time for more than a year

Pros

CEO is very conscious about employee concerns. Remote Work capability Good Health Insurance, Dental, 401K, (unlimited pto within reason)

Cons

Salaries could be higher, but that is offset with good Flexible Time Off policy

November 24, 2020CEO

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. Pleased to hear our benefits work well for you. I hear many positive comments from Sovos employees related to our flexible time off policy, which allows folks to take the time they need without worry. So glad we made the change several years ago! As we have seen this year, life happens in ways we can never predict – and our priority has always been to enable employees to take care of themselves and their families first. That includes pivoting to remote work as soon as we realized that was in the best interest of our employees during this pandemic. Thankfully, we continue to meet our obligations to each other and our customers. I do miss seeing everyone in-person, though, and I look forward to the day when we can get together again – safely. Thank you again for your feedback and for helping to Solve Tax for Good.

2. "Solid first job to get a few years' experience"

Former Employee - Compliance Services Associate in Minnetonka, MN
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Sovos full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Unlimited PTO - Office culture strong, enjoyed coworkers

Cons

- Work not very enjoyable - Busy season terrible, very stressful for 3-4 months

"A blind-siding experience"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Sovos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice office and kitchen accommodations

Cons

I start working here and and feel comfortable and the orientation tells us that we have been hired as some sort of elite for performing a certain way on an assessment. Only a small percent of applicants become hires. In my first months I am told by my managers that I am doing a great job and I have job security after I ask during a review. Over time my manager tells me I am doing great but gives me "minor" corrections of which I make myself mindful. A few months ago, I come in on a Monday and see that my meeting with my manager is early. That is when I am told it is not "working out" and that it would be my last day. As I reflected on the experience I remember a high turn-over and wonder how many other had such blind-siding experiences. I wonder how many others spent the following weeks asking themselves questions like: Was this a temp job under the guise of a perm job? Was it actually my performance? Was I bad at my job and they gave up on my as they looked for my replacement? Did I make one mistake that was a deal-breaker to the company? Did a misunderstanding turn into a fatal error? Is there something i could have fixed if given a chance to improve?

Continue reading

March 1, 2021Chief Talent Officer

Thanks for your feedback and for allowing us the opportunity to clarify a few points. You’re right that we see the candidates we hire as high-performers. Our recruiting process isn’t easy, and we only move forward with a small percentage of applicants who are most likely to work well within our fast-paced world. Our goal is to bring on career-minded people likely to grow their careers within Sovos, and we want that for all of our employees. However, although our rigorous recruiting process is well tested, it’s by no means perfect, and sometimes the fit is not right. I know having a job end isn’t easy. It is not a decision we take lightly, and there are always a variety of factors that go into such a choice. I hope you find a role where you can grow in the way you clearly are hoping to – and wish you the best of luck in that journey.

4. "Tail is waggin the dog"

2.0
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at Sovos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is good and fair.

Cons

Marketing is way behind the competition. Like way behind and can't catch up. Market has become saturated and there is no differentiation between Sovos and low cost competitor. It's a boys club - if you in with your boss and the boss's boss you can be terrible and keep your job. If not...watch your back. No diversity - nearly all White employees - especially in leadership roles - like Zero minorities (at least in the US). Sales process includes bits for 3 different sales books - plus whatever the training and development sales training flavor of the month is.

Continue reading

March 19, 2021CEO

Thanks for sharing your feedback. You’re right that Sovos operates in a competitive market. Because of that, we work hard to articulate what makes us the best choice: the promises we make (and more importantly, keep) to customers & employees, the depth of our regulatory analysis team of 100+ experts, the innovation of our solutions, the comprehensiveness of our services, and the audacious goal we’ve set to Solve Tax for Good everywhere. That’s all easy enough for me to say; luckily, unbiased third-parties continue to affirm this differentiation, whether that’s in the most recent IDC MarketScape report on our space, which named Sovos a leader; or the SIIA CODiE Award, which named Sovos Sales & Use Tax Filing the Best Compliance Solution in 2020; or in any number of technology, tax and business publications that cite our experts in their articles. I’m sorry to hear those competitive assets weren’t clear during your time with us. In regards to the diversity of the team, we are proud of the varied life experiences our employees bring with them to their work here every day. That said, Sovos is on a purposeful journey to build an even more diverse, inclusive and equitable company. Over the past year, we have adjusted our recruiting processes, developed trainings for managers, brought in consultants to lead workshops with various teams, opened a search for an inclusion and equity leader, and assessed our people, products and practices through a DEI lens. Thank you for raising this important issue in your comments. While I don't agree with your comment, I agree there is plenty of work yet to be done, and we are committed to that journey. Best of luck in your next role.

5. "Great company, sucky priorities"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santiago

I worked at Sovos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits pack, complimentary healthcare, dental plan

Cons

outdated technology stack, still working with legacy products, not a place to work with cutting edge tech

April 7, 2021CTO

Thanks for taking the time to share some feedback. I am glad to hear that our benefits plan worked well for you. When it comes to technology, I am tremendously excited by the investments we are making – both in our products and our teams – to support innovation. We recently created a department specifically focused on innovation practices related to architecture, product development and more. We’re also bringing on additional technology leadership in multiple countries, where our existing teams are committed to the company mission: to Solve Tax for Good with the only complete, continuous and connected solution for modern tax. It’s not easy, and sometimes it’s not glamorous, but it’s incredibly important to our customers around the world. Thanks for your contributions during your time with us, and good luck in your next role.

"Great place for development"

Former Employee - Compliance Service Associate in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Sovos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, great place to learn new things and shape your own career path, good clarity into your role and responsibilities

Cons

The pay is low, even for the entry level roles

March 22, 2021General Manager

Thanks for leaving your feedback and for your positive comments about our culture. In addition to our focus on keeping our promise to customers, Sovos prioritizes support for employee professional development and growth, and I’m glad you noticed that, as well. Of course, we know salary is also important, and we constantly review trends in the market to keep our total compensation competitive. We will continue to monitor to ensure we hit industry benchmarks. - Paul Banker, General Manager

7. "Decent First Job"

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Sovos full-time

Pros

Get experience out of college

Cons

Low pay compared to other companies in almost every job

April 26, 2021General Manager, Sales and Use Tax

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate you recognizing Sovos as a great place to gain experience. We hire for talent first and foremost, and we place a huge amount of importance on developing our talent so people can reach their full potential. For that reason Sovos is a great place for anyone who’s looking to learn and grow, including but not limited to college graduates. We also hear your comment regarding pay. We continually benchmark against the market to ensure our salaries are competitive. Thanks again for your feedback, and great to have you on the team.

8. "Great, Fast Growing Company"

5.0
    Former Employee - Office Coordinator in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Sovos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, breakroom space and activities, fast-growing company, growth opportunities

Cons

With growth comes change which means restructures, layoffs, etc.

March 25, 2021Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Your comment about the fast growth at Sovos is spot on. We are on a mission to Solve Tax for Good, and our rapid progress against this goal creates career growth and development opportunities for our employees. With growth does come change, so adaptability is an important core value for our organization. While business needs do shift as we evolve, retaining Talent remains a top priority for Sovos as this is central to our growth strategy. Thank you again for your feedback and for being part of our journey, and we wish you luck in your career. Colleen Schlagel - Chief Talent Officer

9. "Decent, not great"

Current Employee - Software Support Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Sovos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Environment, the people, culture, and the food!

Cons

Management, low-wage compared to the market.

March 30, 2021Managing Director - North America

Thanks for the feedback, we appreciate your recognition on the environment and culture. We focus on creating an engaged and inspired workplace, and that all starts with the talented people who work here. Salary is important and something we continue to monitor to ensure we are within the market benchmark. I am sorry to hear your feedback regarding management and would like to understand that more. How do we move from decent to great, in your opinion? Send me a note and we can get time to discuss. Erik Gilder, Managing Director, North America

10. "Great workplace"

Current Employee - Scrum Master

I have been working at Sovos full-time

Pros

- good senior leadership who know the next steps to disrupt the market with new technology - great teams to work with - great core values

Cons

- depending on the role, there can be multiple night and overnight work required

March 10, 2021CTO

Thanks for your review, and for your work guiding our Agile development teams as they tackle the technology challenges of the digital transformation of tax. As you know, Sovos is on a mission to Solve Tax for Good, and it’s no easy feat. The company’s core values, which you mentioned, are the fabric of our organization, and the way we behave to reach this audacious goal together. Our Scrum Masters are key to that effort, and I know that can require working outside of 9-to-5 hours, especially during busy parts of the year when a critical release is getting close to launching. While handling these issues is part of the job, if you are consistently working overnight, that’s not something we want. I encourage you to take time off when you can (we provide it so you can take what you need when you need it) and talk to your manager about other ways to ease that burden. If you have ideas, or if you just want to talk to me about this subject, my door is always open. John Landy, Chief Technology Officer

Viewing 1 - 10 of 250 Reviews