Sovos Reviews

3.9
Sovos President and CEO Andy Hovancik
Andy Hovancik
Pros
Cons
  • "There is also a high turnover in a few offices(in 11 reviews)

• "Low pay but funny management system, no planning(in 8 reviews)

1. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - QA Engineer I in Santiago

I have been working at Sovos full-time for more than a year

Pros

EDIT: I deleted my previous review and in turn rewrote it as it was, except the CONS, because the company's leadership has proven time and time again that every employee has a valid vote and opinion, and things have improved very much overtime, and my positions towards my local leadership has shifted to a very good standing. I've had the pleasure of working with an amazing team, I've worked long hours, holidays and on my free time, willingly on how to make my work better for me and others, because I believe in what Sovos brings to the table and is trying to achieve, they enforce the core values and this in turn generates people that are willing to learn and teach, committed people, reliable people . I have enjoyed everyday since I joined the QA team, this motivation pushed me to come up with better processes and little improvements on my team, and finally a huge automation project (with help and guide of the team's TL), this is a place where good ideas do not go unnoticed, people will help you and cheer for you, this meant that even though I'm the newest member of the QA team I'm hosting a TechTalk for all R&D teams in Sovos! Imagine that, a place where you get recognition, where you will be surrounded by people willing to teach, and if you are eager to learn you will get far in this company, I'm just starting in my position, but trust me if you deserve it, you will climb the organizational ladder. I like the values, the culture, the people, and I feel that I'm contributing with my work. This indeed is a good place to work.

Cons

Since Sovos deals with a lot of products and technologies, it can be daunting at first to make advances, but i take it as a challenge to sharpen my existing skills and learn new ones along the way.

2. "Great Ethics"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sovos full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good morals, really care about their employees

Cons

Job wasnt very challenging to me

Chief Talent Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. Integrity is so important at Sovos, and it’s the backbone of our goal to Keep Our Promise. We definitely really care about our employees! You mention your job was not challenging to you. Almost 1/3 of our employees make a job change within Sovos each year – often because they are looking for new challenges. Whether it be through our Cloud Rotation program, asking your manager to expand your responsibilities or applying for a totally new position – there are a number of ways to seek out new and exciting challenges within the company. If you need help navigating any of these processes talk to your manager, me or someone else in HR. Best of luck.

3. "Incredible"

Current Employee - Training and Documentation Specialist

I have been working at Sovos full-time

Pros

Awesome activities in the company

Cons

I love my work.... I love this company

Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for the feedback. I am so pleased that you pointed out the activities at Sovos. The transition from working in the office to 100% remote has challenged the traditional ways in which we were able to offer opportunities to have fun, but in true Be Adaptable form, our Wellness Committees have embraced that challenge and have come up with new ways to engage from home. We’re glad that you are enjoying your time here and glad to have you on our team!

4. "Great Job"

4.0
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sovos full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

sales culture great people, good products

Cons

salary, too focused on sales numbers

Chief Sales Officer

Thank you for the feedback. I agree with you – the people are the best part of Sovos. I appreciate your point about our focus on sales numbers. Sovos is a results-driven organization, and this is especially noticeable in our sales culture. I’ll be transparent; we don’t set easy goals for ourselves just to pat ourselves on the back. We challenge and push. We hire talented people who can rise to these expectations. And we provide reward and recognition for results - even in challenging times. Given our uncapped commission plans, that means making money. I’m happy to talk it through more with you if you have questions.

"Good Opportunities for Growth but a Lot of Change"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Sovos full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were many options for professional development and I was able to grow and learn in my career

Cons

The company grows through M&A, so there is often a lot of change and focus on the newest acquisition

Chief of Staff

Thanks for your feedback. We’re happy to hear you took advantage of the growth and learning opportunities at Sovos. We believe in building an environment, where talented, career-minded people can contribute, develop & grow – and of course, personal development is one of the hallmarks of our Be Professional core value. And you’re right, Sovos grows both organically and through acquisitions. That (along with an ever changing regulatory environment!) does lead to change. But we are on a mission to Solve Tax for Good, and that requires strategic M&A to ensure we can solve the challenges of modern tax everywhere our customers to do. Thank you again for your feedback, and we wish you luck in your next role. -- Laura Handler, Chief of Staff

"Not a real lawyer job, will not set you up long term if you want to stay a lawyer"

1.0
    Former Employee - Jr. Regulatory Counsel

I worked at Sovos full-time

Pros

Coworkers, office is nice, other departments seem fun

Cons

Severe lack of transferable jobs skills, you are pigeon holed into a very niche area making it hard to find virtually any other job in the law that is not entry level. Morale is miserable. Managers not invested in job growth. If you want to practice law in any capacity whatsoever either now or in the future then be accountable to your own professional development and do not take this job under any circumstances.

Chief Product Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Our Regulatory Counsel roles are unique in that they are not traditional career paths for practicing law. As we stress in these job postings, “Great fits for this role: sharp legal minds who have a love for legal research. Not so great fits for this role: lawyers who are interested in trial law (there's no jury here!) or folks who are interested in being part of an internal corporate legal team. We have a team like that at Sovos; this is not it.” We do our best to make this clear, right from the start, before anyone considers applying. Recruiters and hiring managers also share more about the role and its responsibilities with interested candidates. Our customers rely on our Regulatory Analysis team to fully understand existing tax laws, and new mandates issued by governments around the world every day. In addition, our product development team depends on these individuals to help translate tax law changes into our technology solutions. This demands collaboration across departments, attention to detail, and making the extremely complicated understandable for teammates who are not versed in tax law. These are valuable skills that can be applied in many roles. As you know, Sovos sends an Employee Engagement survey every year to collect valuable insights into how our employees feel. Our employee net promotor score, which indicates how many people would recommend working here, increased more than 20% in the past year. We were leaders in the biggest increase compared to comparable companies. We also saw an increase in the number of people who agree with the statement, “My Manager Helps me Learn and Grow.” which brought us over industry benchmark by 5%! And our Regulatory Analysis & Design team specifically showed an increase of over 5%, indicating above statistical significant rise. I take your suggestions seriously, and I’d like to hear your ideas on ways to further improve, or perhaps get better alignment for what you seek in you career. My door is always open.

7. "Stepping stone"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Sovos full-time

Pros

Flexible pto for time off

Cons

Long hours and below average pay

Chief Sales Officer

Thanks for the review. myTime, our flexible time off policy is, indeed a hit. In terms of the hours and pay – our Sales comp plans are structured such that you get out of them what you put into them. Our commission plans are uncapped, and successful Reps here earn a LOT of money. Part of being successful in Sales is recognizing that it's not a 9-5 job - whether at Sovos or elsewhere. It’s not for everyone, for sure. Thanks again for your feedback, and best of luck. - Joe

8. "Proud to be a part of a great company"

Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Sovos full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sovos truly cares about the employees- great work/life balance, great benefits, great career advancement opportunities. The training is impactful, the managers make time to connect with their employees. The people are fantastic!

Cons

the interview process can sometimes be long but, it’s worth it!

Chief Talent Officer

Thanks for the feedback and happy to hear you are enjoying working for our organization and you are seeing the impact of the benefits offered! We hear you on the interview process. We do have a bit of a lengthy process compared to standard, but it has allowed us to build and create a great culture with those fantastic people you mentioned. Thank you again for your feedback and looking forward to working with you more. Colleen Schlagel, Chief Talent Officer

9. "Recently hired"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sovos full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everybody's very nice and approachable. The onboarding process (first 48) has been very nice, providing a lot of useful information to be successful in the near future.

Cons

I haven't worked long enough to provide a negative point.

Chief Talent Officer

First off, welcome to the team! We’re excited to have you joining our organization and helping us in our mission to Solve Tax for Good. We’re so glad to hear that your onboarding experience was insightful and you have the information needed to help you be successful. Should you have any questions as you get more acclimated into your role, please reach out to your manager, any members of my team or me. Thanks and looking forward to working with you.

10. COVID-19

"Hard Work and Recognition"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive

I have been working at Sovos full-time

Pros

Hard work does not go unnoticed in this organization. The VP of Sales and even CSO take an active role in ensuring success across the organization. This org allows you to communicate on a nickname basis with leadership and leaders care about you learning from mistakes and celebrating wins. The pay is pretty average but great if you’re a top performer. COVID has proven the adaptability of the workforce as well as its financial stability. Unlimited PTO means great work life balance for a sales job too! Bottom line: This is a great place to work!

Cons

Fast paced and high growth. Things move quickly at this company. If you don’t do well with change or process improvements then it’s probably not a good fit. You might have to take a call on a day off or respond to an email once in a while but this is sales.

Chief Sales Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. At Sovos our core purpose is simple: to enable people to improve their way of life. Sometimes we can accomplish this for our employees in very obvious ways (Flexible PTO), and sometimes they’re not so obvious - like our newly implemented Global recognition platform. We’re proud of the adaptability that we’ve shown in our response to COVID-19. Going 100% remote in a few short days to ensure the health and safety of our employees, while continuing to meet our commitments to our customers uninterrupted is no small feat. Thank you for your continued commitment. I take our team's recommendations to heart, and am constantly looking for new and exciting ways to improve and encourage success. If you have any ideas shoot them my way – I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts. Thanks again for the feedback. We’re glad to have you as a part of our organization. --Joe Healey CSO, Managing Director

Found 208 reviews