Spencer Gifts Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.1
Spencer Gifts CEO Steven Silverstein
Steven Silverstein
Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay for management positions, groups of teenagers and college students flooding to the back of the store(in 66 reviews)

• "Upper management positions rarely opened up for advancement(in 54 reviews)

1. "My 1 year expeiriance"

I worked at Spencer Gifts

Pros

I do the job very sinciyearly

Cons

Give me any challenge i do

Advice to Management

Give me job please

Spencer Gifts2018-11-12
  2. "Warehouse loader"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate

I worked at Spencer Gifts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good job. Nice break. Friendly workers

Cons

Not much work. Unorganized. Supervisor unprofessional

Advice to Management

Cool management

Spencer Gifts2019-12-09
  3. "Loved the Job, Not the Pay"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Spencer Gifts full-time for more than a year

Pros

I looked forward to going to work every day, however, the expectations far exceeded the pay.

Cons

Extremely low wages can't possibly support one person, let alone a family on them.

Advice to Management

Pay a living wage, keep quality employees.

Spencer Gifts2019-12-09
  4. "It used to be a great company but not anymore"

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time

Pros

Really good discount and basically no dress code

Cons

Too many chiefs and competing egos. Shrink expectations are just crazy for single person coverage. The pay is so bad compared to other retailers, which would be fine if the work-life balance made up for it. Not even close. All there is time for is shipment but then upper management expects perfection in the stores. Completely unrealistic. The turnover for management is so high that they are constantly pulling... from fully staffed stores to cover but then don't allow for the fact that they have essentially short handed that store. They are incredibly cheap so something as basic as a maintenance request could very easily take a year to be completed because they don't want to pay for it. They compensate for the high turnover by begging really bad managers to stay when they try to resign. So everyone else is left to take up the slack of someone who doesn't want to be there instead of replacing them with a good person. Stores are expected to throw the return policy out the window as soon as customers throw a tantrum. Why even have a policy if it isn't enforced? Just say you'll take back anything for any reason so people will stop yelling at employees for trying not to let these con artists return used products. I used to love the contests but now the goals are unrealistic and I really have no motivation to try to reach an impossible goal. I miss the days when we could focus on visuals and actual selling on the sales floor. It's all about shipment now and we just don't have time to interact with customers anymore. I'm disappointed in the way the company has gone downhill especially this year. I've never seen so many tenured managers either unhappy or resign as I have this year.

Advice to Management

Everyone needs to be on the same page from home office people to RSD's to DSM's to SM's. Get it together! It's become so unorganized. Start paying your managers what they're worth and I think you'll find the turnover will naturally decrease. Focus more on maximizing sales on tshirts and jewelry and less on love products which just bring thieves and immature customers into the store instead of people who are... actually there to spend money.

Spencer Gifts2019-12-10
  5. "Great company to work for, but high pressure"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great to employees, decent pay, monthly bonus opportunities, great environment, 30% discount on products, constantly running contests with monetary prizes for all employees

Cons

High pressure, a lot of tasking but not enough staff hours available, high theft without many LP deterrents in place

Advice to Management

Give the staff for hours so that the teams can efficiently run the store. Make sure your DMs are not talking down to SM’s.

Spencer Gifts2019-11-06
  6. "Assistant Buyer"

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time for more than a year

Pros

3 weeks vacation Wear whatever you want Parking spot after 40+ years of working there Relaxed employees Summer Fridays

Cons

Terrible 401k plan Using your vacation can be frowned upon sometimes No training program

Advice to Management

Please do better with diversity within the company. Employees should be paid their worth

Spencer Gifts2019-11-19
  7. "Okay place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Spencer Gifts part-time

Pros

Relaxed environment, good chance to connect with guests

Cons

Have to be “on the floor” at all times even when the store is not busy

Spencer Gifts2019-11-15
  8. "Fun job with the right staff !"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Spencer Gifts part-time for less than a year

Pros

Increase in pay Fun empolyees Wear what you want

Cons

Lack of staff Low pay

Advice to Management

Pay more !

Spencer Gifts2019-11-06

"Difficult In Management Position"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time for more than a year

Pros

- 30% employee discount - Good Music - Casual Dress Code

Cons

- High Turnover - Small Group Of Employees, this makes it very hard to take any sick or vacation time, as only one or two people can cover your time off. - Outside of promotions there arent many opportunities for raises

Advice to Management

Know that you will have a difficult time with getting time off, and that it is hard to get any kind of raise, even if you are there for years.

Spencer Gifts2019-11-03
  10. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Albany, NY

I worked at Spencer Gifts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people, the cool environment and merchandise with a good discount. Worth it to be a Sales Associate, but nothing more.

Cons

Shoplifting is scary there, HQ and DSMs don't care about you, everyone is in it for themselves and ready to stab you in the back.

Advice to Management

Patterns are there for a reason, the store manager can only do as much as their boss and etc. Don't tell people they're going to get promoted and then give them a lame answer or try to avoid the conversation why it never ended up happening.

Spencer Gifts2019-11-03