Spotify Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 3 Jan 2020

3.8
Spotify CEO  and  Co-Founder Daniel Ek
Daniel Ek

"Amazing techs and flat organization"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Spotify full-time

Pros

- All your equipment needs are provided - External conferences to boost your skills - Internal projects are challenging and satisfying to work on - Foods are free via the open fridge - Company takes really great care of their employees

Cons

- Flat organization can be exhaustive sometimes

Spotify2020-01-03

"Great forward-thinking company with a desire to be consistent"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Stockholm, Stockholm

I have been working at Spotify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been at Spotify over 3 years now, and it's an excellent employer. I don't think we are comparable to Google or Facebook in terms of engineering competency but we are one of the best employers in every other way. - Great benefits - Incredibly diverse (in many ways - terms of gender, ethnicity, languages, etc) - Passionate about audio - Incentivizes learning (via conferences, internal trainings, embeds) - Easy to move around, either team or role - Plenty of colleagues with personality - A handful of world class engineers that are easy to talk to - Daniel and C-level management are refreshingly transparency. Huge fan of Daniel, Gustav, Barry's personality and approach to business. Honoured to work under them. - Positive work environment - Never afraid of change - Truly autonomous, each team mostly operates as its own "business" - We make decisions primarily based on our own insight/views, secondly what our customers are saying, and thirdly what our competitors are doing. Priorities are right - We are 100% working on the right thing. Everything proves towards it - Incredible afterworks and summer/winter parties - Huge emphasis on team over individual - Great investments in technical infrastructure, ie Kubernetes/Kotlin/Swift - Real work-life balance, in true Swedish fashion

Cons

- It can be slow to make decisions or ship (but being here for a while, I'm not entirely convinced if this is just due to a sprint vs marathon mindset. But yes it's very intentional from management) - Astoundingly poor manager retention (I am seeing managers leave left right and center, unclear why this is the case, and this will affect your personal growth) - Constant state of change in terms of restructuring (although you do get used to it, but it will affect your individual goals potentially significantly) - Promotion culture is weak. It has good intentions, but fails to work time and time again. Two examples: first is one person didn't get promoted because "they didn't ask for it" (and others don't because "they ask too much rather than doing") and the second example is I saw someone not get promoted because they did not show enough loyalty in their tribe. Has nothing to do with our newly introduced promotion framework and plays a part in why we struggle to maintain senior talent. - To my surprise, the longer you've been at Spotify the lower your salary has proven to be (and the new hires get offered significantly higher base salaries). I am not even sure if it is a good idea to just leave and come back 6 months later. Intentions are good, but in reality performs astoundingly with varying results. I am also unclear how this compares with other companies. - Increasingly political and process-driven, which doesn't suit individuals who want to stay as individuals. This makes us increasingly slower to execute - HR seems to rule the business. No exceptions exists in Spotify. This seems to stem from Swedish business culture where there are no exceptions. Don't work harder, it is not valued. Work hard during your paid hours and you'll be fine. You have to be a role higher than HR, such as a senior business leader, to be remotely considered as an exception.

Spotify2019-12-21
  3. "Great if you are independent"

Former Employee - Machine Learning Engineer

I worked at Spotify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good amount of help from people, autonomy

Cons

Time zones, duplicate work, low pay

Spotify2019-12-31

"Great company that treats contractors the same as employees"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Stockholm, Stockholm

I worked at Spotify for less than a year

Pros

- Exciting product - Treats contractors the same as employees - Free snacks, food and drinks - Lots of company events; after-works, workouts etc. - Great work/life balance - Decent compensation and benefits

Cons

- Career steps are pretty well defined and the salary is tightly coupled to those - Collaboration with teams across the Atlantic is not optimal - The work can be unchallenging at times (depends on which team obviously)

Spotify2019-11-07
  5. "Great place to work, and have fun with music"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Stockholm, Stockholm

I have been working at Spotify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good environment, friendly colleagues, a lot of trust and vision from PM and managers

Cons

Work life balance should be less life, sometimes.

Spotify2019-11-09
  6. "Great"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Spotify full-time

Pros

Great place to work all around

Cons

there are no cons to working here

Spotify2019-11-08

"Reorg Hell"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Spotify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office views Food options are plentiful and healthy Work life balance CEO isn't Mark Zuckerberg Very transparent

Cons

I've had 4 managers within 2 years. 1 left for greener pastures and the other 3 came from reorganizations. Countless reorganizations that lead to endless meetings on redefining strategy, manager chains etc. Very rare to find a manager that cares about your personal career growth. It's 100% on you to manage it, which is fine so long as there is proper training, opportunities, and guidance as to how to do that. How do you drive your own development here when managers are hesitant to let you embed and your team's work/culture is slow, unexciting and lacking any real technical challenge?

Spotify2019-12-09
  8. "Good people who care a lot about the Spotify product"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Spotify full-time for less than a year

Pros

First off, Spotify is a very strong product. Extremely passionate people that make me excited to go into work every day. Most engineers are bright and also approachable. Worklife balance is strong: 6 months of parental leave, paid on-call rotations. Great office with a lot of perks (free lunch, snacks, barista, band room with musical instruments to play with). Everyone is trusted to do the right thing (and it seems as if they do - most people seem to have good intent). Basically, if you like tech and music this is the place to be!

Cons

Sometimes things move slowly and it's easy to get trapped in a lot of meetings if you don't aggressively manage your calendar. Compensation is not on par with Google, Facebook, Apple but I think the benefits make up for this.

Spotify2019-10-24

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Data Engineer in Stockholm, Stockholm
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Spotify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast paced, smart people, good pay, good benefits.

Cons

Immature organization, no accountability for underperformers.

Spotify2019-10-02

"Mission + Values = Quite Good"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager

I have been working at Spotify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a place where the mission is really good for the world and values are really lived. Any time you get a group of people together, there will be less-than-perfect behavior but it's far lower than other places. The tech challenges are fascinating and the potential for impact is huge.

Cons

Sometimes there's an over-index on autonomy so folks unintentionally step on toes or an over-index on alignment.

Spotify2019-10-01

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 68 reviews