Staples Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 31 Dec 2020

3.3
Staples CEO Michael Motz
Michael Motz
Pros
Cons
  • "Poor communication from upper management at times(in 265 reviews)

• "Aren't the most accommodating to students or people that work part time(in 244 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. COVID-19

"Decent People, Smothering Focus on Goals"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Davenport, FL
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Staples part-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers often work together well across departments, small team roster ensures some rapport with everyone (unless you don't get along), able to pick up knowledge about the tech you sell as you go, furniture sales are always easy. Advancement always feels within reach as well, as managers are often excited to have someone filling rolls such as Tech or Print/Marketing.

Cons

Management can be messy at times, harsh at others. Far too much focus on sales numbers for protection plans and the like, to the point where actual service suffers for it. Upper management does not seem cognizant of the reality of the stores they visit. Many of your customers will be elderly, ornery, and unwilling to actually listen to what you're telling them. Also, the reason why advancement into Tech and Print/Marketing is so easy is because customers treat the employees in those departments like idiots, constantly, so turnover can get a bit high there. Pay's rather poor too, like $9 starting (or possibly lower depending on your state's minimum wage)

Continue reading
  2. "Pay does not reflect cost of living for this area. No internal promotions above supervisor."

Current Employee - Associate in Hendersonville, NC

I have been working at Staples full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people, mostly relaxed atmosphere, steady pay.

Cons

Never enough staff do, to pay rate for this area. Under appreciated by management above store level. Upper management is out of touch with customer and store level needs. No internal promotions above supervisor in this district!

Continue reading

3. "Potential to be a great job but really depends on your manager/territory"

Former Employee - B2B Sales Consultant
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Staples full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good base salary, decent commission structure, phone/car reimbursement even during furlough, overall it seems like the company cares about employee wellbeing, in general.

Cons

First, while it’s nice that they largely promote from within/based on performance, it needs to be said that not every sales person is meant to manage a team!!!! Just because people can hit sales goals, that doesn’t mean they’ll make a good manager! 3 people left my team within a month after I left, that should be a huge red flag to upper management. That being said, your experience with Staples will vary significantly based on your manager and territory. If you’re on a team where they distribute public schools evenly, you’ll make bank. Public schools are guaranteed $$$ - 200% to goal every period and upwards of 2k commission every month. If you’re on a team with a manager who’s scared of the “veterans” on the team, the vets will get whatever they want, aka the best territories and all of the public schools, regardless of the territory, “because it’s a seniority thing”. Meanwhile, everyone else will get a rural, bumpkin territory with businesses that don’t qualify because they can’t afford the membership. I left because my manager harassed me daily, multiple times per day, for not meeting the unrealistic weekly goals, given my territory.

4. "Good part-time job"

4.0
    Former Employee - Tech Sales Associate

I worked at Staples part-time

Pros

minimum wage, opportunity for more hours

Cons

upper management has unrealistic expectations

5. "Neutral experience, low pay"

Former Employee - Technology Sales Associate

I worked at Staples part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Energetic work environment - Good management (depends on store) - Fast paced

Cons

- Low pay for the amount of work we do - Upper management unrealistic with sales goals _ Store management hounds you for not meeting quotas

6. "N/A"

1.0
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Staples full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule... cant think of anything else....

Cons

Poor communication from upper management at times. Terrible management. Unorganized. Dying company.

7. "Overall not a bad place to work"

Former Employee - Certified Technician in Glendale, AZ
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Staples part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pretty easy work. Most of the computer problems are handed by a third party diagnostic team that work remotely. The customers are typically older and are usually very nice. You might get an occasional grouch but that's nothing out of the ordinary for retail.

Cons

Upper management would often make changes for product placements and store layouts that made no sense and frustrated customers as well as employees.

8. "TAM Position"

Former Employee - Territory Account Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Staples full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Outside Sales/Remote Local office available when needed Flexible schedule Decent salary with commission Good vision & dental

Cons

Commission structure was impossible to understand even for upper management. I'm unsure why they created it the way they did, but it was not created in a way that would maximize sales and profits by helping employees understand what their primary goals were (sales and profits).

9. "Staples is okay"

4.0
    Current Employee - Copy Lead

I have been working at Staples full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, opportunities to move up, team centered

Cons

Poor support from upper management

10. "Upper Management ran company into the ground."

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Staples full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Sadly I can't think of any.

Cons

Upper management from Ditrict Manager level up are clueless. Do not care about anyones well being.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 265 English Reviews