Stepping Stone School Reviews

Updated 12 Jan 2021

3.4
Stepping Stone School Founder, Owner and Executive Director Rhonda Paver (no image)
Rhonda Paver
Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay they offered me minimum wage and no training(in 13 reviews)

• "Support of upper management is lacking, I've worked with other places that felt much more put together and caring(in 9 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. COVID-19

"Courage, Optimism & Strength"

Current Employee - Adminsitration

I have been working at Stepping Stone School full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The dedication to children, parents and staff through out the pandemic is beyond remarkable. We have seen countless quality competitors go out of business. Due to the Courage, Optimism & Strength of our owner and founder Stepping Stone School has remained a strong support for all in the community.

Cons

Any job has ups ad downs but the ability to seek positivity and display grit during tough times is critical to working with children. SSS Strives for and seeks out those that display a caring nature, positive energy and perseverance on a daily basis.

"Stepping Stone School"

4.0
    Former Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Fort Smith, AR

I worked at Stepping Stone School full-time

Pros

Great place to work, postive work place very friendly staff.

Cons

The way they fire employees.

3. "It’s an okay job"

Former Employee - Infant Teacher in Austin, TX

I worked at Stepping Stone School full-time

Pros

Let’s you work with kids if you have no experience. You will fall in love with the children. If you have great teachers/ co-teacher, you will make friends. Parents are caring and generous around the holidays

Cons

Low pay for all the work you do. They have a mandatory curriculum that you have to go by. People quit all the time. Upper management really doesn’t care about the teachers

4. "General Overview"

Current Employee - Teacher in Round Rock, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Stepping Stone School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Consistent Schedule Some overtime Children are amazing and full of energy and character Pay ok Some benefits Opportunities to move up quickly if you get put on the fast track

Cons

Management must learn to lead and drive the culture and vision of the mission statement. Where there is no leader, the employees will create their own culture and mission. Gossip between employees No confidentiality between management itself, everyone knows everyones business. Can lead to retaliation from both employees and management. Pay is ok. Considering the workload, and what is required here, you should be getting paid more, but you cannot receive a raise if the higher up does not want you to get one. Unsure if you don't receive an increase in wages because they believe you haven't earned it, or if they just don't feel paying their workers because it empties out their own pockets. This is not a school it is a daycare and it is ran as a daycare. You are not teaching as much as you are babysitting.

5. "Loved the kids, loved the families, loved my coworkers, hate the management"

Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Austin, TX

I worked at Stepping Stone School full-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved the kids, that's why I got into this business. The families I am still close with even today. I still have friends in my old coworkers (though most of them have quit by now). All of these pros can be found at other preschools.

Cons

I have a degree in Early Childhood Education and I still only received $12 an hour to start. The higher-ups were rude to the teachers and work you to the bone. So much is expected from you with very little payoff. Very little help, no recognition, and a lot of intimidation and empty promises to convince you to stay. The turnover rate is insanely high. Some locations are better than others. This company tries too hard to continuously expand and open new locations when it is understaffed at almost every other location. Horrible how money hungry the founder is. I met her in person and you can feel the evil and greed radiating off of her.

"Horrible Place to Work"

1.0
    Former Employee - Pre-K Teacher in Austin, TX

I worked at Stepping Stone School full-time for less than a year

Pros

The kids and the parents were great

Cons

I honestly feel like Stepping Stone takes advantage of young women, especially young mothers. They bring in mostly young women with offers of benefits and training, and neither of those things are provided. My very first day on the job I was put in a room with fifteen 3 year olds all by myself after only shadowing another teacher for 2 hours at another location. This alone should have been enough to make me leave, but I stayed for over 6 months. The pay is also incredibly low for the amount of work you do (I made $12/hour but I knew people making less). One of my coworkers with a young son was making $10/hour, and only stayed because it was the only way she could afford daycare.

7. "Amazing Job"

Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Kyle, TX

I worked at Stepping Stone School full-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved working at Stepping Stone! Everyone was very friendly. The kids were fun to be around as well.

Cons

Some days getting out on time was difficult, but it rarely happened and I knew prior that I would be getting out late.

8. "Love it"

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Stepping Stone School full-time

Pros

excellent school to work for!

Cons

none that i can think of

9. "Low pay over worked"

1.0
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Stepping Stone School full-time

Pros

Teaching little ones & helping them learn.

Cons

Low pay they offered me minimum wage and no training. They threw me in a class and walked away. If you requested help they got angry.

"Amazing Professional Facility Dedicated to Children and their Families."

Former Employee - School Age Teacher in Leander, TX

I worked at Stepping Stone School full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic mission. Infinite resources. Children and their family always first. Caring administration. Childcare discount and competitive wage.

Cons

I enjoyed my time at SSS and will miss my center.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 123 English Reviews