Stonegate Pub Company Reviews

Updated 12 May 2021

3.6
Stonegate Pub Company CEO Simon Longbottom
Simon Longbottom
Pros
  • "25% discount across the whole company(in 29 reviews)

• "teaches you so many skills, work family, a big company so everything is done properly, staff discount in all stone gate pubs(in 25 reviews)

• Cons
  • "can be long hours but with the right team its definitely doable(in 48 reviews)

• "Can get overworked for minimum wage(in 43 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

salary

15 Oct 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore
      Business Outlook

Pros

overall its a good company.and a very good work culture.everything is good in the company.freshers can learn more.nice company

Cons

work balance is not good.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fun but stressful

2 Mar 2021 - Team Leader in Wolverhampton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Vast majority of people worked with were great team players and a good laugh. Got on with everyone and made some long-term friendships. Good options for internal progression as well as getting experience in a variety of different 'types' of bar as well as the option to transfer up and down the country

Cons

Doesn't pay too well compared to other places. I was paid around £7.90 an hour for team leader shifts (of course this will have increased now) which I didn't feel adequately reflected the responsibilities held, especially when running shifts. Another problem in some venues I experienced was understaffing, there were nights when it would be just 2 FOH staff and the bar would be 4 deep. This is a problem rooted beyond the venue itself, as our general manager would be frequently told to cut shift. Some other ideas would come from higher up which were at time ill-thought. For example, a 50% of food and drink discount after world cup finished in 2018 without extra staff lead to constant stress and staff actively looking to leave. Head office and area managers were very hit or miss. I saw excellent people in those roles, as well as some who seemed to never say anything positive

3. 2.0
      Current Employee

Long hours, low pay but fun

3 Mar 2021 - Team Leader in Portsmouth, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

You can have quite a lot of fun if your team is good 20% discount on food & drinks

Cons

Low pay and hard to get onto a progression course as it’s down to your GM and if they don’t like you, you’re out of luck. Long shifts (often with no breaks) or not enough time between shifts (come home at 3am start again at 8am next morning). Barely any accountability for GMs - I’ve worked for a number of different GMs and they all had one thing in common - “delegating” tasks down to lower management and then either taking credit for results or placing full blame on the employee depending on how the task goes. Almost no recognition for extra efforts but I believe this is site specific as I know there are venues where this is not an issue. Hard to book time off - there’s no central holiday booking system so it’s up to the management to do this and it doesn’t work most of the time so good luck trying to get that one weekend off even if you book three months in advance :)

4. 5.0
      Former Employee

Good

12 May 2021 - Bartender
      Business Outlook

Pros

A very good place to work.

Cons

None that I can think of.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Quite satisfied

10 May 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Promotes fun and in the 2 sites I’ve worked also enjoyed it

Cons

Talk about opportunity of progression but not always available

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Exceptional

8 May 2021 - Bar Team Leader in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly environment with staff as well as management

Cons

Night club working hours can become difficult

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Decent

8 May 2021 - Bartender in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great atmosphere and greate venue

Cons

Lack of shifts, constant management changes

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Fun place to work

7 May 2021 - Front of House Team Leader in Middlesbrough, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great teams and management, progression opportunities available

Cons

Limited holidays on busy nights

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Wage

7 May 2021 - Team Leader
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun, development, different, competitive, perks

Cons

I cant think of any

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

A company this big should be able to pay more than legal minimum wage

27 Feb 2021 - Bar Team Member in Bath, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I loved my team, my manager was great, I was able to keep hours flexible to accommodate my studies, I really liked the job, you're able to find another venue to take you in if you move to another part of the country. Honestly, ignoring finances, I had no complaints whatsoever.

Cons

As an under-21 year old, I was payed £6.45 per hour. I know this is the legal minimum wage, but a huge pub conglomerate like Stonegate should be able to pay more than this. Independent venues in my area were offering more money for the same role, and they didn't have the safety net of being part of a large chain. I remember doing hard labour for half an hour and thinking "I was only paid £3.23 for that."

Viewing 1 - 10 of 521 Reviews