Sun Life "senior management" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Sun Life Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated 23 Jul 2019

3.8
Sun Life CEO Dean Connor
Dean Connor
Cons

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana

I worked at Sun Life full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good leadership,work life balance,good salary,benefits,good office location

Cons

Less work and more politics.not good to stay after 3-4 years. Too much effort to keep senior management happy.

Advice to Management

Pls empower Middle management to act and speak freely.

Sun Life2018-05-24
  2. "Work Flexibility"

I have been working at Sun Life

Pros

Good company as it's work environment is very cool and work flexibility is there.

Cons

I didn't find anything bad about this company. But yes senior persons are taking advantages of it and shows there seniority to the juniors and co-workers. There should be right people management by the managers or senior management teams.

Sun Life2017-02-23
  3. "Politics - Senior execs building their careers off the backs of others"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at Sun Life full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible work from home arrangements, great peers (excluding sr management)

Cons

Nepotism, going up against senior management is a losing battle no matter who's right, terrible benefits package particularly for an insurance company,

Advice to Management

Improve the benefits package. It only benefits people who are single, not families. There needs to be strong protection for employees against senior management who have their own agendas and scapegoat others.

Sun Life2019-07-24
  4. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Scarborough, ON

I have been working at Sun Life full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You will work with an awesome set of folks that dedicate and work hard to make Sun Life a success.

Cons

Sometimes senior management is there only for their own benefit. Some manager lie to your face.

Sun Life2019-03-27

"Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Fredericton, NB

I worked at Sun Life full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I began working for Sun Life as a financial advisor to pursue my dreams in the finance industry. This has always been a role I aspired to fill as a child. When I began working there, I did very well. I sold lots of new clients, developed a great clientele, and had the liberty to come and go as I pleased.

Cons

After nearly four years of devoting all my time and energy to this company, I wanted to move out of the branch office and pursue my own real estate venture in the city, and offer up my own store front for the company. I was spending nearly $2,000 in expenses to the company, and in low volume sales months, I was actually making negative pays. This with a small family at home began to fill my life with stress,... depression and ultimately my demise as an advisor. I went to senior management explaining my case that letting me out of my lease will allow me to save on monthly expenses (big time), and alleviate some of the stress in my life financially. I was told that under no circumstances were they willing to help me, and they would rather see me leave and then help me. I was very disappointed in this response after giving nearly 4 years of my life to a company that I had planned giving my entire career to, and ultimately had produced A LOT of new business for them making them money. Ultimately, it was not the job itself I did not like, it was the management, senior management and even head office who treated me like just a number. I felt on a personal level, if this is how they are treating the ones doing all the work, how do they care for their clients who make it all happen? For me it was time to make a switch.

Advice to Management

Treat your advisors with sheer respect, and up lift them in ways they can do their job with minimal stress. Your retention rate will drastically change.

Sun Life2018-04-06

"Financial Analyst"

Financial Analyst in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Sun Life

Pros

Large Scale International firm with multiple divisions, Great benefits and compensation packages, Good bunch of co-workers, excellent departmental support staff and nice job location

Cons

Too much office politics, Inconsistent Senior Management direction, poor resource planning, divergent job priorities and task assignments.

Sun Life2016-08-22

"Operations/Finance/Member Adjustments"

Former Employee - Operations Coordinator

I worked at Sun Life full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best= vacation time is fair for new hire and benefits are good.

Cons

All work , no socialization. Disconnect between managers and director's. The employee suffers if not trained. No official training program, no cross training. Work is expected completed and right without guidance first. Senior management refuses change and growth. Old school. They hold back employees by enabling them with who they know. They give bad reviews and hand out impossible work loads with over exhausting... goals.

Advice to Management

Find what you like to do, leave and go do it. Let a fresh face and mind come in and encourage change and growth!

Sun Life2016-08-16

"Premium Administration"

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Windsor, CT

I have been working at Sun Life full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pay is good and the environment including the co-workers makes this job bearable. Great benefits and PTO depending on hire dates 1 week sick time ( 2014- 2015 ) had 10 days sick time.

Cons

Senior management has no clue as to what the job expects and it can take up all of your personal life and you can be written a bad review off of false pretenses. Not much diversity and can use a refresher in higher management and it can use a redirecting in real expectations of specialist workloads.( uneven).

Advice to Management

Learn the specialist jobs and make realistic goals. Write accurate reviews based off of the work being completed and not off of how you feel the person is doing Provide actual training Be a people person

Sun Life2016-02-08

"A place to retire but not to grow"

Senior Business Process Consultant

I have been working at Sun Life

Pros

The company does not have much competition in the market. They are the leaders in the industry - and that says a lot about the industry. The largest pro is that its a house hold name with a strong position in the market. Due to a lack of good talent in the company, this is a place were you dont have to try to hard to make big impressions. Being the cream of the crop isnt to difficult. Also, depending on the area... of work you have the general work/life balance is one of the best I have seen. Working from home can be a good option to leverage

Cons

Compensation and benefits are not very competitive in the market. Executives and senior management have very little vision. There is a general lack of accountability and it starts from the top. Many executives do not know what their teams are doing and dont hold them accountable. So long as someone likes you, you get appraised. This is a produce of there being little to no competition in the market and the company... making a tone of money. With that being said, decisions being made are often slow and/or based on personal opinion rather than fact or argument. It is not the place for personal/professional growth....though you can climb up the ladder quickly if you say the right things.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the middle management - There is an insane amount of AVPs and VPs that provide little value to the company and often push back on positive movements. Hire better talent - overall. The lack of talent in the company is evident. From strategic decision making at the top to tactical implementation at the bottom. That being said, so long as the company doesnt have competition and keeps the Federal... government as their main client, none of this will change - there is simple no pressing need.

Sun Life2015-12-09

"Good company"

in Toronto, ON

I worked at Sun Life for more than a year

Pros

I had an easy going team, but worked with a very difficult and demanding internal client. The IT infrastructure is great at Sun Life.

Cons

Didn't get support from senior management on some important issues, resulting in a very difficult working relationship with my client.

Advice to Management

Exhibit stronger leadership by backing up your employees and asking for their feedback more regularly.

Sun Life2015-08-27