Synchrony BLP Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Synchrony BLP Reviews

Updated Aug 9, 2019

Found 9 reviews

4.3
Synchrony CEO Margaret M. Keane (no image)
Margaret M. Keane
  1. "Good but Inconsistent Summer Experience"

Current Intern - BLP in Kettering, OH

I have been working at Synchrony for less than a year

Pros

Overall a place that clearly cares about the intern population. They spend a lot on the interns with the goal of retaining them full time. I had an excellent work experience, managing a project that affected almost 7000 people. I got way more exposure to the business than I anticipated, and regularly presented to senior leadership and even the COO. Very rewarding in that sense. The culture here is very good... too. Everyone is welcoming and supportive. I had the chance to network with dozens of leaders, both in a structured and unstructured way. Some even took time out to help me advance my project. The program office sets up many meetings and events to make sure you are connected and help to give you a broad understanding of the business. One thing to note as well - Synchrony will send you to a location based entirely on business need and won't tell you till March. Be prepared to live somewhere else for the summer. As an intern, fully furnished corporate housing is provided for FREE, so if you are looking for something new or an opportunity to travel Synchrony can be a great fit for you.

Cons

Seems very hit or miss how good your experience is. Some managers are not as good, and many of the projects are less exciting than mine. Know that there is a good element of chance in how your summer turns out. All the other perks are great, but the work can be very variable.

Advice to Management

Make sure the value proposition is excellent for everyone. Delivering a consistent experience will improve brand perception and help you win recruiting battles.

Synchrony2019-08-09

"BLP Program"

Current Employee - BLP in Kettering, OH

I have been working at Synchrony full-time for less than a year

Pros

The BLP program is a great program to learn and experience so much and so quickly in a 2-year period. I have really enjoyed learning about different areas of the business all while looking forward to my next adventure at my next rotation

Cons

Some barriers to a creative/innovative mindset with a large and long established company coming from GE

Synchrony2018-09-13
  3. "Great Company culture"

Current Intern - BLP in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Synchrony for less than a year

Pros

Great Company culture Very competitive pay Embrace diversity Allow you to move around Projects are done on a cross-functional platform Can work from home two days a week

Cons

You work for a credit card company, which is a zero-sum business which means for every dollar we earn, that is one dollar that is taken from a customer's pocket (in the form of incredibly high interest rates, late fees, finance charges, etc.). If you can get over that then it's a great company for you.

Synchrony2018-08-16
  4. "BLP Intern"

Former Intern - BLP

I worked at Synchrony

Pros

Great People, including fellow interns, housing, and travel covered. it's an incredible opportunity

Cons

Not having a choice of Location for Internship

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about potential locations to applicants

Synchrony2018-01-29
  5. "Not sure how useful my project was"

Former Intern - BLP in Kettering, OH

I worked at Synchrony

Pros

Pay/housing stipend Work-life balance Access to senior management Stigma with BLP title Projects Social events

Cons

*Location: Kettering, OH was in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. *Former manager was in same location while my day-to-day manager was at a different location. Former manager wrote my evaluation even though she rarely interacted with me and couldn't gage my performance. *False promise: they told the interns at orientation that they wanted to hire us all upon completion, but when the internship was over,... they only selected 30% of us. If I would have known this, I would've accepted an offer from the other companies who actually had the capacity to hire the interns they took in. *Negative coworkers I had to work with who told me my project was a waste of time and wouldn't cooperate with me to complete my project.

Advice to Management

Managers should be trained to be able to effectively work with and communicate with interns, and they should assign one manager to one intern. Don't withdraw an offer from an intern because they didn't show a "passion" in their function when the project they were assigned had NOTHING to do with their function.

Synchrony2017-10-26
  6. "Good Company"

Former Intern - BLP in Kettering, OH

I worked at Synchrony for less than a year

Pros

Great company culture. Lots of events for interns. Cares about its employees and their well being. They hosted many events to learn about whats happening with the company and how everyone would be affected.

Cons

The location is not great. I worked in Kettering Ohio where there is not much to do. The actual work was fine. Networking is very important to the company.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that you focus less on having events for the employees to know anything and everything about the company. These cut into productive hours.

Synchrony2016-09-12
  7. "Outstanding business leadership program and only getting better!"

Current Intern - Information Technology BLP

I have been working at Synchrony for less than a year

Pros

To start off, the environment since starting my internship role at the company has been contagiously inviting. The HR university relations team has done a phenomenal job planning unique team building events, exposing us to the business from senior leadership, and getting us excited to work for the company. Since starting my summer project on site, I have been pulled into every team meeting where my contributions... matter and I truly feel like part of the team. The internship has been a great balance of giving us direction, but also throwing us into the deep end a little bit to help us grow and develop professionally. I find my work challenging where I am constantly learning new things every day, but soliciting help and asking questions is strongly encouraged. You really know the company cares about their internship and full-time leadership program when you have every senior leader saying our BLP's are the future of this company.

Cons

The company is still working on innovating a lot of their products/processes since spinning off of GE capital. They also focus heavily on a relaxed work environment with work weeks sticking pretty closely to 40 hours which is rare for a financial services company. It sometimes makes me think people aren't all that excited to come to work everyday or that I'm not always working with top talent.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to expand into new markets/product offerings since spinning off of GE capital. Don't discourage people from wanting to work harder/dress nicer for work.

Synchrony2016-06-28
  8. "Great place to work and a great time to join."

Current Employee - BLP - Human Resources Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Synchrony full-time

Pros

I enjoy most of the people I work with and the work life balance. The Business Leadership Program (BLP) that I am in has been amazing so far, from the orientation, to the people I have been able to network with, including my peers. Also, my pay is beyond what I would have asked for when I joined.

Cons

As an HR professional, it's difficult in my opinion to establish a culture at times with Synchrony being such a matrix organization. I think this is the case in certain locations more than others.

Synchrony2015-08-10

"Business Leadership Program"

BLP in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Synchrony

Pros

Amazing management, good salary, very collaborative work environment, if you join the BLP program they are looking to fast track you to top management, exposure to Senior Management as a recent college graduate, full time role combined with course work to maximize experience

Cons

None so far, it is separating from GE so some very small technical IT issues

Advice to Management

None, they are empowering the employees regardless of role

Synchrony2015-07-22