TD Ameritrade Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.6
TD Ameritrade CEO Tim Hockey
Tim Hockey
Pros
Cons
  • "Unclear promotion path within the call center(in 49 reviews)

• "That I didn't find Scottrade sooner(in 40 reviews)

"Not a good place for Investment Consultants"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Consultant in Na-Duar

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No a lot of pros, as they are sub par on all levels, as compared to the competition. Old legacy Sr Management getting stale and it shows.

Cons

Can't maneuver the new landscape very nimbly like other firms. Super high employee turnover is all you need to know. Stay away!!! Much better out there

Advice to Management

Simple- compensate people more competitively, and you will retain talent.

TD Ameritrade2017-09-19

"Good company, Good longterm growth, below average compensation."

Current Employee - Investor Services Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, lots of good industry experience, good overtime, good vacation, if working after hours or weekends, outstanding direct leadership and senior leadership.

Cons

0 Commissions forcing leadership to drive metrics, cut bonuses, and keep pay low. Lowest pay scale compared to competitors. 33% Turnover rate in St. Louis to leave for other firms. Disconnect between Senior leadership and retail managers (Day shift managers who can never be found).

Advice to Management

Client experience will suffer longterm if we cannot keep talent. Make adjustments to manager positions. Too many comfortable managers who take role as a right and not a privilege. Lazy daytime managers who need to be replaced with no understanding of how to lead by example. Increase pay to be competitive with market or talent will continue to leave to adjacent firms.

TD Ameritrade2019-11-09
  3. "TD"

I have been working at TD Ameritrade part-time

Pros

Great work environment with upbeat employees

Cons

Promotions and advancements in the company unclear. No path to follow.

TD Ameritrade2019-11-11
  4. "Working in TD Ameritrade"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Pay, flex hours, highly qualified co workers, Managers are tech savvy

Cons

Weekend supports, Silo, too much tech debt

TD Ameritrade2019-11-09
  5. "Decent place to start a career in financial consulting"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Consultant

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

Great people committed to helping each other.

Cons

Muddled company direction due to recent merger.

TD Ameritrade2019-11-08

"Great place to work. Hard to move up if you don't move out"

Former Employee - Coach in Draper, UT

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fantastic local management and engagement. They are a very inclusive employer. I always felt i provided value to the company and clients.

Cons

If you are not willing to move, you really can't move up int he company.

TD Ameritrade2019-10-31
  7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Investor Services in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent atmosphere, great benefits, lots of opportunity to grow and move to other departments

Cons

Base salary leaves more to be desired

TD Ameritrade2019-10-30
  8. "Great company committed to purpose, innovation and growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Interesting work, at the cutting edge of many emerging and complex legal issues. Nice benefits packages, and excellent work/life balance -- the company is very flexible for work from home or work from anyone. Not a face time culture. Company is committed to innovating and winning in the space. Also committed to diversity and inclusion initiatives. Committed to professional development of associates.

Cons

Parental leave policy is still lacking, even after multiple attempts. Not much transparency on salary, so unclear if is truly competitive. Company is committed to innovation, but has serious limitations due to ownership and regulatory situation. Not many opportunities for advancement within Legal department.

TD Ameritrade2019-10-28
  9. "Registered Representative"

Former Employee - Registered Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team environment and managers, paid study time for licenses and no cost when leaving the firm.

Cons

Corporate structure with almost no upwards movement until sales quota is hit. Pushing sales over customer service. Same routine every single day is not motivating.

Advice to Management

Allow flexibility and upward movement based off of metrics rather than time with the company or quotas.

TD Ameritrade2019-11-11
  10. "Fired a good CEO; Snarky HR"

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

I learned that TDA is one of the best-paying employers in the state of Nebraska. I doubt that is the case in any of the other locations, but it is nice for Nebraskans. Qualifier for this pro: As Omaha is the headquarters location for the company, and Nebraskans stand to lose if they change employers, it may be why the company tolerates misbehavior that is unacceptable in other locations where there are other... employment options of equal or higher compensation.

Cons

I learned that the founder, Joe Ricketts, is a racist. His emails were published in the press. His political ties and personal ties influence company culture to such an extent that although he is no longer with the firm, his legacy is a group of board members willing and eager to fire CEO Tim Hockey. Hockey has not been silent about being fired when his performance has been excellent. I checked out a career... development talk offered by HR to IT associates. The presenter, a guest of the IT Agile Transformation Office, stated that she didn't think associates upskilling in Agile through internal programs, certificates, or degrees should expect an increase in compensation. In fact, she seemed to gloat about how the Agile transformation was never intended to spread to the entire enterprise, or even all of IT. She sounded condescending when she commented that Agilists could take their skills elsewhere in the company to try for advancement, why, they would even be valued in HR! Wow. The presentation felt more snarky than inspiring, and made me rethink my HR presentations in the past few years. In my advice to mangement, I note a few red flags I should have paid attention to earlier.

Advice to Management

There is a snarkiness present in conversations between associates and HR. HR is pretty good at talking a talk, but they do not walk the walk. In fact, they dodge questions at town halls, sometimes sighing with impatience about being made to answer associate questions. They control the dialogue and make promises they don't keep. For example, HR promised to set up an HR Q&A Slack channel for associates.... Sounds good, right? The channel appears, but new rules, Slackers: instead of asking questions, HR will post one question per week and an answer. Huh? Why wait a week between questions? (And why is the answer inevitably, "no, suckas"?) Doling out associate questions one at a time seems like controlling the dialogue to me. Wouldn't it be relevant to post all HR-related town hall questions and answers immediately after the town hall? Because of course the composition of associates changes, and of course management changes rapidly from quarter to quarter. Why wait? Even then, the promise to post a question a week almost immediate gets broken. They surely have enough questions that they can post one a week, probably two and not run out. But instead the postings die off, and weeks go by with no communication at all. I guess no one can hold HR to account in this company. In fact, HR seemed so unwilling to further Tim Hockey's agenda during his tenure (in their actions, not in their words) I wouldn't be surprised if they helped get him fired and will be working to erase his cultural legacy in the coming years. Tim Hockey will be gone by Feb. 2020, so watch for further developments then. My crystal ball could be wrong and a more progressive leader could replace Hockey, firing HR and starting afresh with an even stronger drive towards 21st c. values. If HR remains and IT is removed or leaves, the writing would be on the wall for your quality of workplace experience. If you value working in fintech it would be time to find an employer who would value you.

TD Ameritrade2019-11-10