Teradici Staff Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Found 6 reviews

3.2
Teradici CEO David Smith
David Smith
  1. "Balanced work and life"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Burnaby, BC

I worked at Teradici full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly people to work with and very well balanced work and life.

Cons

- Projects are not well tracked so lots of contents had to be removed from the final deliverables. - No career development.

Advice to Management

More focused on key projects and get it delivered on time with a full content.

Teradici2017-05-21
  2. "Stimulating job with a healthy life work balance"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Teradici full-time for more than a year

Pros

Teradici is a great place to work. A healthy life work balance is encouraged, and competitive compensation and benefits are offered. I work with many talented people and get to experience genuine comradery and tackle interesting problems on a daily basis. The company has an active social committee and very compassionate and flexible HR policies. Having previously worked in a satellite office I find it a benefit... that the majority of employees are situated in one place. Transparency is practised across the company as a whole and employees are trusted with sensitive information up to and including the company’s balance sheet! Professional development is encouraged and the annual performance review process is reasonable. Teradici offers an interesting product line and is unique in the marketplace with its zero client solution. The company has some top tier customers, but through the Teradici Pervasive Computing Platform is able to support consumers of any size. Teradici has an excellent reputation and a lot of potential for further growth.

Cons

Engineering is spread a little thin especially in regards to the quality assurance capabilities of the group. On occasion teams have been forced to incur technical debt in order to deliver features on time. Recent initiatives have started to address both these issues, but there is still a ways to go. Historically there has been a bit of a silo mentality whereby teams do their own thing and don’t communicate well... with one another. This issue is especially prevalent between the host and client groups, and unfortunately exacerbated as these teams are separated onto different floors.

Advice to Management

In general I’d say “keep up the good work”. I’ve seen positive changes over the last little while in regards to improving communication between groups. I believe the multi-day, engineering wide, release train planning sessions, although not the most fun events to attend, are proving beneficial. A bit more notice of all hands meetings would be good; it’s a little nerve wracking to be notified of a companywide meeting... the week of. Finally I’d encourage management to keep pushing the envelope on the protocol to embrace emerging technologies sooner rather later.

Teradici2015-11-12

"Great office environment, good pay, professionals to work with"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Teradici full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people working at Teradici at various departments are professionals and pleasant to work with, I would say 95%. Pay/benefit is very competitive and annual review process is fair and timely. The company is not afraid to pivot and always looking for an edge. Very cool technology to get involved for engineering and marketing as well. You get to use the technology you build everyday as part of IT setup (your... desktop) so very cool. The application potential of the technology is immense. Opportunities to work with big partners like VMware, Amazon, Samsung, LG, etc are attractive. Lateral transfers are granted without negative nudges from managers. Great gym and shower facilities, allowing people to bike in and shower. Many active sports groups (soccer, jogging, yoga, squash, beech volleyball, table tennis, etc) exists so lunch time exercises are very enjoyable for those who wants to stay active. Lunch and working hours are very flexible so you can exercise and shower during lunch time. Burnaby office location is very convenient to drive into with lots of parking.

Cons

Of course, not everyone gets to go to the big meetings with big partners. It would be good if those opportunities are given for professional development. Teradici could be more competitive on RRSP matching.

Advice to Management

Keep developing your people outside of the expected work duties. Those are the key in having the people engaged and excited to come to work. Give more opportunities to those who seek them. Include them into product planning meetings for educational/profession/career development and start grooming them to be the next leader.

Teradici2015-10-13

Teradici Response

June 17, 2016Recruitment Specialist

Dear fellow Teradician, Thank you for recognizing your colleagues for their awesomeness, and positively commenting on Teradici’s pay/benefit competiveness, cool technologies (use what we build), and perks like soccer, yoga and volleyball. I think it’s fair to say that most of us, here at Teradici, believe in doing a great job while having lots of fun doing it. Your ‘Advice to Management’ message is noted and will be shared with the executive team during our upcoming strategy meetings. Rest assured that we have great plans to help Teradicians develop their professional skills for better careers here at Teradici. We hope you’ll hear about them from your team leader(s). As for the RRSP contribution: Teradici wants to make sure that you reach your goals for long-term financial security in retirement. That is why Teradici is one of the few locally based companies that contributes towards the employee Registered Retirement Savings Plan without an employee matching requirement. Nevertheless, we would love to hear from you on how we can make it more competitive; so please feel free to contact us in confidence at careers@teradici.com. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with your fellow Glassdoor users.

"Incompetent management"

I have been working at Teradici full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Flexible work hours, good work-life balance. -Most developers and QE are great to work with.

Cons

-Managers are lazy, incompetent, inexperienced, and arrogant (some have all of these characteristics, others are blessed with just some). -Why am I even writing this review? Not because I expect any change to come from it. Just to vent. The biggest problem with management is they don't listen to developers. -They insist you work on a virtual desktop for development. They seem to randomly decide that certain... developers can buy a real machine. Others buy their own. -No career advancement opportunities for developers. Team hierarchies are flat and are managed by a non-technical role (product owner). There are no technical roles for developers where they can stay on a team yet have some responsibility.

Advice to Management

Give developers more power and listen to them. Promote them to technical leadership positions where they can lead and have a say, but still do what they love (develop).

Teradici2015-10-05

"The great chances to learn, innovate, do are refreshing -- but not without downsides."

I have been working at Teradici full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cutting-edge technology that can disrupt the desktop and make virtualization pleasant for end-users, not just IT and management. Lots of great, competent co-workers. Existing revenue stream leads to some flexibility in choosing new problems to solve. Great wins in the marketplace, with feel-good aspects, as in Ministry of Education Malaysia -- making a real difference in a whole country's elementary student... population. (Opportunities for this certainly exist in neighbors and other regions). Recent, painful dismissals were conducted professionally and the departing colleagues were treated fairly and well.

Cons

"Great wins" are not leading to more great wins. C- and below-C-level management doesn't seem to understand why. More managers-per-others than any other place I've worked. Culture is in danger of being eaten away by politics and empire building.

Advice to Management

Lack of the accelerating traction that our technology deserves shows that leadership doesn't really understand how to grow our business. That's a cause for concern. I suspect that sales' incentive structures didn't keep adjusting to the best business cases for growing sales.

Teradici2015-03-20

"Good team but lost management."

I have been working at Teradici full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Freedom to choose different architectures, try new things. Great products and engineering team. Friendly coworkers with good work-life balance.

Cons

Management just don't know how to make more money. You are doomed for speaking out, politics is an issue too as your compensation and promotions is tied to socializing with the right people in the company. Sometimes schedule get unrealistic because they don't take any feedback from the designers.

Advice to Management

Focus on ROI.

Teradici2014-06-04