The J. M. Smucker Company Employee Reviews about "ohio"

Updated 19 Apr 2020

3.5
The J. M. Smucker Company President and Chief Executive Officer Mark T. Smucker (no image)
Mark T. Smucker
Pros
  • "Company values teamwork and work-life balance(in 56 reviews)

• "My coworkers are great - Smucker really does attract some great people(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is often a struggle(in 13 reviews)

• "Headquarters in small town Ohio(in 13 reviews)

Reviews about "ohio"

Return to all Reviews

"Meh"

2.0
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Super nice people, investing in modeling and data science capabilities

Cons

Very indirect and reactive culture... Always firedrills. Too hierarchical - people who speak up in meetings who are not the highest ranking on the org chart are just not heard. Some good leaders there but too fraternal - where else does one work in Northeast Ohio. Too risky to speak up.

The J. M. Smucker Company2020-04-20
  2. "Good company that cares about its employees"

Current Employee - Packaging Technologist in Orrville, OH

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good benefits - Cares about its people

Cons

- Low pay (based in a rural location in Ohio) - Spread too thin with all the recent cuts

The J. M. Smucker Company2019-12-23

"Great place to work with top talent."

5.0

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Family oriented company with great perks, advancement opportunities, and top talent!

Cons

No clear career path but opportunities to advance if you make it known what you want. Lots of change in the recent years has employees wearing many hats as positions change and/or departments are short staffed. Headquarters in small town Ohio.

The J. M. Smucker Company2019-02-26

March 5, 2019Company Representative

Your comments are appreciated! Thank you for sharing your perspective.

"JM Smucker"

1.0

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time

Pros

Salary competitive. Benefits OK. Good associates

Cons

Sr. management only concerned with results, not people. Poor HR support and follow-up. Continue to take benefits away or reduce support. Culture out of date with current industry beliefs. Unless you like northeast Ohio- no room for advancement.

The J. M. Smucker Company2018-12-05
  5. "Impressive employee culture and satisfaction for large CPG"

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time

Pros

Engaged leadership Competitive compensation Flexible schedule Wide variety of categories, opportunities for growth

Cons

Slow to course correct Analysis paralysis Orrville Ohio

The J. M. Smucker Company2018-03-28

"Smucker destroyed Big Heart Pet"

2.0
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent hours Good people in the SF office who care about what they do

Cons

Where to start? How about: A mindless following of intractable policies that are inefficient and ineffective The Ohio office has no respect for their SF counterparts and continually talk down to them Adherence to the “Smucker Way” which is supposed to be about ethics but is really code for “do what we say, don’t challenge, don’t question, and if you don’t like it, get out” Smucker bought Big Heart, in large part, to take advantage of Big Heart’s research and innovation capabilities...then proceeded to let most of the thought leaders go. They can’t think beyond what they feel like they already know how to do, and anyone who tries to push against that is punished

The J. M. Smucker Company2018-02-20
  7. "Great Internship"

Former Intern - Applications Intern in Orrville, OH

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company for less than a year

Pros

I worked as a Information Solutions Intern (Software developer intern) -The compensation if you include the housing stipend was very competitive. -The cafeteria is incredible. -The people I worked with were wonderful and very smart. -Lots of fun activities for the interns and even full-time employees. -Very open atmosphere with upper management. Even as an intern, I got face to face time with just about every upper level management in the department person except the C-level. -As an intern, I was given work that was actually meaningful. I worked on a crucial proprietary software port and felt like a full member of the team. My opinion was actually asked and regarded unlike other positions I've had. Because the work was interesting, I rarely felt like the day was dragging on. -Did I mention the cafeteria? It's amazing.

Cons

-It's in Orrville, OH which is 45 minutes from the nearest city Akron, OH, so you pretty much have to live in the middle of nowhere Ohio which was the biggest issue for me. I ended up just driving down to Ohio State every other weekend just so I had something to do. -The reason the cafeteria is so good is because there are almost no other options in the area. -Very old fashioned. We had "Formal Mondays" which required a tie and many people wore jackets as well. The rest of the week was business casual, and once a month there was "Casual Friday" were you got to where jeans instead of slacks (still had to wear a dress shirt and shoes though), but only if you donated to their charity. I never bothered with it the whole summer. -They expect you to work there for most if not all of your career which was one of the reasons I did not receive a full time offer. Overall though, I would highly recommend this internship to anyone.

The J. M. Smucker Company2017-05-22
  8. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good work and family balance.

Cons

Plan on moving to ohio for advancement opportunities.

The J. M. Smucker Company2017-03-13

March 24, 2017Manager

Hello -- thank you for leaving your feedback. We're glad to hear you've enjoyed working here for more than eight years!

"JMSmucker Inc - They are nice people"

in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company for more than a year

Pros

The people are nice. They recently bought us so I don't have a lot to go on besides that.

Cons

We just merged with JMS and there is some culture conflict between the Ohio-based JMS and us in San Francisco. Also, they are really big and there is a bureaucratic feel with all the processes.

The J. M. Smucker Company2016-03-29

"Awesome company with great culture"

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company

Pros

-Internship program was large & across multiple functions allowing for a great deal of training and opportunity -Culture of the organization is focused on work life balance and building strong relationships with co-workers

Cons

-Internship located in Northern Ohio in a very rural area, made for a long commute

The J. M. Smucker Company2016-01-15

February 5, 2016Corporate Communications Representative

We’re glad to hear you had a great experience as an intern with our Company. Thanks for taking the time to leave your review!

Found 13 reviews