The N2 Company Employee Reviews about "publication"

Updated Feb 18, 2020

Found 79 of over 419 reviews

4.5
The N2 Company CEO Duane Hixon
Duane Hixon
Pros
  • "I also love being creative with my publication(in 47 reviews)

• "I started out with N2 as an Account Executive responsible for advertising sales for an Area Director with N2(in 43 reviews)

• Cons
  • "You have to be financially stable enough to support the ramp-up period for your publication(in 38 reviews)

• "Only 10% of those who start actually get to print, especially if you are in a market already saturated with other Area Directors(in 29 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "publication"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great company and amazing culture, but the opportunity is not for everyone.

Feb 11, 2020 - Area Director in Raleigh, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The position offers flexible hours, a great work-life balance, and the company is made up of entirely great people.

Cons

You have to be financially stable enough to support the ramp-up period for your publication. Some parts of the position are very difficult.

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Former Contractor, more than 3 years

Have Lawyer read the agreement before you sign

Feb 18, 2020 - Area Director in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Your local colleagues are usually great to work with and provide all of the training and support that the company does not give you.

Cons

This is not an employment opportunity. There is no salary, guaranteed income, benefits, or commission. Not sure why they are soliciting on Glassdoor. This is an unpaid position for 6-14 months, and you cover all of your own expenses. N2 converted to a franchise model two years ago to avoid IRS and Dept of Labor scrutiny with their independent contractor agreement. They want you to build a community publication from the ground up. This means selling at least $150K in advertising before you get paid, establish all content, establish all neighborhood relationships, hire and pay your own staff, and pay for the insurance that cover their liability. While it states that you are buying a franchise, you own absolutely nothing. N2 owns everything that you sweated to build. Don't let them use their talking points to say you own the clients. Try leaving the company and take them. Only 10% of those who start actually get to print, especially if you are in a market already saturated with other Area Directors. Businesses are sick of hearing about N2, and those who have tried it leave without a single customer and will never be back. Word spreads and the N2 name is a dirty word in many of the larger markets. The leadership plays the "faith based" company pitch which is just to get potential applicant's guard down. You don't need to believe me. Have any attorney read the Franchise disclosure and they will strongly advise you to run away as fast as you can. If you have the ability to ramp up and run your own community magazine, do it yourself. N2 charges over $10 per magazine shipped including the royalty. You can produce the same thing anywhere for just over $2. If you are distributing to 1000 homes, that is over $100K a year in your pocket extra. Then you build equity for real, can sell your business, borrow against the business, and build something that you run and control instead of building it for a couple of guys who did not spend ten cents on it. If you don't mind working to make them rich, then this is the opportunity for you. Quick books, a local printer, and a freelance graphics person is all you need to replace N2's support. N2 is not a publishing company they are a recruiting company that has a printing press.

10 people found this review helpful

The N2 Company Response

Director of Human Resources

Hi, there. You’re correct – N2 isn’t an employment opportunity. It’s a franchise opportunity. We recognize that a sales position with no base salary can be challenging for those who aren’t geared for that kind of role. For some, a commission-based position is a benefit, but we understand that is not the case for everyone. We are very clear and transparent when explaining this to people who interview with our organization, so applicants know immediately whether they are a good fit for our model. While Area Directors are responsible for collecting content and working with clients, N2 works hard to take on as many of the other tasks involved with creating a publication as possible (including editing, designing, printing, shipping, billing, etc.). This allows our Area Directors to focus on their clients and content, not all the behind-the-scenes work. It takes a lot more than QuickBooks, a printer, and a single designer to create monthly publications like the thousands we send out every month! And by partnering with N2, ADs enjoy plenty of perks, like a competitive commission rate, uncapped income potential, a dedicated support department, and the freedom to set their own schedule. We cannot stress enough how much we regret your negative experience. We wish you the best of luck as you continue on your career journey, even if it’s not with us!

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Excellent Income Potential

Oct 16, 2019 - Region Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

N2 offers an opportunity to earn high levels of income quickly with the flexibility of the ability to create a great work/life balance. The ongoing training and support is ever present and there is a real desire for their Area Directors to succeed in their goals.

Cons

Getting the publication off the ground takes hard work however once in print, consistent activity, to a lesser degree, will sustain it for a long time.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Opportunity, I was not a good fit.

Jun 20, 2019 - Senior Pastor in Fort Worth, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Income potential only limited by your drive, get to meet new people, Focused on only one neighborhood, VERY friendly competitiveness in company, Help is available. Work from home, once in print your schedule is yours

Cons

No pay until your publication is in print, Immediate cost for starting, Have to travel for training and it is not good enough for the expense. Limited face to face company interaction, pressure is not bad, but if you don't take off it gets bad.

5 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Contractor, more than 8 years

9 YEARS AND STILL LOVING IT!

Jun 6, 2019 - Area Director in Northern, KY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love the freedom to set my own schedule and work when I want. I also love being creative with my publication.

Cons

It can take a little time to adjust to working on your own. There are lots of opportunities to interact with fellow AD's but you don't get the daily water cooler talk.

6. 5.0

Best Place to Work

Feb 5, 2019 - Franchise Owner in Tyler, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from Home, flexible hours, plenty of time off, Great money, Lots of training and help lines, three conferences per year, awesome and unique product, Very user friendly portal and publication article upload system, very high standards, gives back 2% of all company earnings to non-profits, many great area directors company wide, great culture and very high values

Cons

I seriously can not think of any cons to this business. I am 55 and worked for other companies throughout the years that were not sales related and it was just a job for me. N2 has been the best decision I ever made and I consider myself VERY fortunate.

5 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

Great Company with Amazing Leadership

Jan 14, 2019 - Area Director in Waco, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best atmosphere and company culture. Continually ranked as one of the best companies to work for. Consistent training and assistance from management. Franchise owners are some of the best to work with and learn from. Neighborhood publications are very well received and loved by residents of the communities they serve.

Cons

Ramp up can be challenging for potential new Area Directors who need income sooner. However, can also be rewarding once completed. Smaller town Area Directors can be somewhat isolated from other Area Directors in larger cities where there are more communities.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Franchise Opportunity Has Exceeded Expectations

Nov 27, 2018 - Sales Director/Franchise Owner in Camas, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

My wife and I have been able to work together the last 4 years. After starting the franchise opportunity with N2 it was only 6 months before we were in a position to bring my wife home from her previous career in Human Resources. We've been franchise owners the last 4.5 years now and this opportunity has greatly exceeded our expectations in many ways. We love the community we work with in Camas, WA and built so many incredible friendships with people that receive the publication each month and we have met because of our work in the community. We are thankful to work with the most creative and kind business owners who are at the top of their professions in Southwest WA. My wife and I love the work life balance that goes along with the franchise opportunity.

Cons

In sales, it's never fun dealing with rejection. We can be our best employee or our worst employee with how we manage our time. Anyone in business has good days and bad days and like any business owner, it's up to you to pull yourself out of those tough days. We can reach out to our fellow franchise owners to help with that.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Opportunity to control my future

Nov 6, 2018 - Area Director in Peoria, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

N2 provided me with the opportunity to set my own business goals and run my own franchise. I am far from the best but the company culture is very supportive, and I know that my future growth is in my control. I have been with the company for over 4 years and, like all things in life, continue to to learn and grow. Corporate Culture is a big factor at N2 and people that are open to learning will do well. The flexibility of the position also allowed me the freedom the take care of family during a recent medical need. I was able to control my own schedule to maintain my local publication and be available to family. A luxury rarely found in the corporate world.

Cons

You will need to leave an "employee" mind set at the door and be disciplined to run your local area. It took me a while to adjust to that at first, but I would not have it any other way now.

10. 5.0

Being Objective

Oct 31, 2018 - Quality Control in Wilmington, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

My experience with N2 is doubtlessly amazing in terms of growth and thus learning new things. Actually it's a place of change and atmosphere of flexibility which is governed by excellence oriented. Joining N2 has enable me to take my goals and aspiration to the next level through the atmosphere of lucrative culture experience. Since the culture deck thus promote the ability to demonstrate work ethics with team work and at the same time flexibility. What distinguish N2 from other organization is being Christ Centered.

Cons

The nature of work is very time sensitive which could bring a little stress but at the same time it's fun. Defining my area of work which involves quality check with publication that get to my desk can not allow me to work in the home or remote unlike the designers and administration.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 79 Reviews