Cover image for The Quad Preparatory School

1. 5.0

Wonderful place to teach

14 Nov 2022 - Teacher, Elementary School
    Business Outlook

Pros

Quad is an amazing school to teach at if you are someone who enjoys being creative, flexible, and collaborative in your teaching style. It is definitely not for everyone, but I have never been happier than I have here, even through the tough times of Covid teaching.

Cons

Quad is making an effort to become more diverse, but it's still a work in progress. Staff culture and satisfaction took a hit during Covid, and are starting to build back up now that more resources and support are available, and stress levels are down some.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great way to begin my career

6 Nov 2022 - Psychosocial Teacher Lower School in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great students, staff is supportive, classrooms are spacious Good benefits Was a great place for me to gain experience in the mental health counseling field for children

Cons

No room for professional growth Many of th staff members would complain about their daily responsibilities so made it difficult to be in that environment

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 1.0

Awful work environment

29 Nov 2022 -  in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The goal to help children with special needs and be a support system for them

Cons

From my experience, the head teachers are very disrespectful to those working below them. Psychosocial assistants, Teaching Assistants, Interns, etc. are generally treated with disrespect and are expected to be the servants of the head teachers. Many of the teachers who have been working here for a while are jaded. Many abuse their position of power to feel better about themselves. They seem very miserable and unhappy. When they're not doing well at the job, they instantly take it out on those below them and blame them for anything that goes wrong. This was the case in my classroom and many of my colleague's classrooms (who were in the same job position as me). Teachers I worked with gossiped about me behind my back, in front of my face, and tried to get others who did not know me to look down on me as well. Overall, my time here was miserable because of the toxicity and very low pay. Ever since I resigned, my mental health has been so much better. I wish someone warned me about the workplace culture at Quad Prep. if I knew what I know now, I never would have joined.

2 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0

Wonderful place to teach

1 Oct 2022 - Learning Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Bright, interesting students. Wonderful colleagues. Dedicated and empathetic administration. Contrary to what one respondent wrote, there is a fairly diverse population both among the students and the staff, and the school does its best to improve as much as possible in terms of DEI. Weekly meetings help teachers and administrators do their best to understand what's best for each student. The head of school is incredibly caring and thoughtful.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. I feel valued, and I really like my colleagues.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Total Disconnect

14 Oct 2022 - Mathematics Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

The students bring such an exuberance to the school culture. I enjoy teaching them about various mathematical concepts ranging from systems to trig identities. I also forged some strong relationships with other staff members, particularly those in the math department. Several of the parents are quite supportive and reasonable so long as you stay on top of your responsibilities.

Cons

The administration is not as supportive as they appear to be as far supporting the staff, particularly the teachers, disciplining the students, having too many unnecessary and ineffective PDs and didactics (that show how well they speak and not how well they implement systems and practices that would other wise strengthen the school as a whole), several of the them who conduct these PDs are unprepared and/or condescending toward the staff (i.e.: they speak "at them" rather than speak "with them"), because the administration is not as supportive, the teachers are ill-equipped (whether it's textbooks or providing information about student IEPs) to do their jobs effectively, they place students in the wrong classes even after we explain to them the student's skill level/mastery, the increasing workload doesn't mirror the amount of pay we deserve, some administrators mistreat security and maintenance, some psychosocial staff and administrators undermine teacher's authority, some parents are rude toward teachers by expecting them to parent their child rather than taking accountability, change in schedule to crackdown of students not honoring their work period backfired, this means that students now have 30 minute lunch periods; as a result, the teachers have to suffer, too, some psychosocial staffers speak to the students, several of whom are over 13, like their babies...STOP IT! GET SOME HELP!

4 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0

Great mission

22 Sep 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great mission the students are awesome there is tons of support and people to go to opportunities for growth

Cons

there can be a lot of asks

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Toxic Workplace, Complete Lack of Diversity

5 Oct 2022 -  in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I believe in the mission and goals of the school (even though the school has failed to live up to them).

Cons

I worked at Quad Prep lower school so I can only speak for this location: TOXIC work environment, gossip and bullying amongst staff, and complete LACK of diversity. A vast majority of the teachers here are white and nothing has changed in that realm unfortunately. The "DEI" meetings are a fraud and it seems they are there just to save face for the school. These "DEI Meetings" consist of several white teachers coming together to speak about how "the school is diverse" and "doesn't exclude" only a few times in the year. However, these meetings really have done nothing whatsoever to help in terms of the toxicity and lack of diversity among staff. As you can see with all the other reviews that touch on this.

5 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0

Lack of Diversity; School tries to justify their corrupt workplace

5 Oct 2022 - Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The overall mission to help children with special needs

Cons

As a woman of color, it is upsetting that one of the recent reviewers was trying to discredit another reviewer who touched on the lack of diversity - by stating it was untrue because 'DEI meetings fix this' This school is extremely white and there are so little minorities. I did not feel like I belonged and was left out by the white women in my classroom. I truly believe the recent review had to be written by either the founder or someone from administration to try to make the school look better to future candidates. This is typical since the higher-ups here seem to always try to justify the problems of the workplace. There is a lot of cliquishness, toxicity, and cattiness among teachers. I was very unhappy here and this was hands-down the most uncomfortable place for me to work. I finally found a new job that respects me as an individual and is very diverse with kind, compassionate teachers (who do not gossip and form mean girl cliques). This was eye opening and made me realize how corrupt the work environment at Quad is.

5 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

The School is a Con. Do not work here. Do not send your kids here.

4 Oct 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I really appreciate the mission (however poorly executed). I made amazing friends with other coworkers. The kids are very special.

Cons

Where to begin? 1. Probably the most toxic work environment I've ever been in for kids and employees alike. They let kids get bullied, employees get harrassed and there are no consequences and actions. The administration takes no accountability. 2. They are scamming parents out of their money. They tell parents they are doing all of these programs when really they are doing non of them. They are hiring teachers with no teaching degrees or experience and they don't check in to make sure they are actually teaching. 3. HR department is corrupt. Sexual harassment amongst employees was mishandled and reporters are thrown under the bus. The victim blaming was unreal. The administration is more interested in covering their own butts than actually taking care of these things and protecting employees.

6 people found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Business No Longer a School

3 Sep 2022 - SPED Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

They have many great students, but can't handle their more difficult ones without locking them up in a room.

Cons

This place runs as a business and not in the best interest of students. They lock students in the 'blue room' and allow them to break walls and whatnot. One kid they allowed to sleep on a bean bag half the year and never even bothered trying to teach him.

4 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 60 Reviews

The Quad Preparatory School Reviews FAQs

The Quad Preparatory School has an overall rating of 2.8 out of 5, based on over 64 reviews left anonymously by employees. 48% of employees would recommend working at The Quad Preparatory School to a friend and 42% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -9% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, The Quad Preparatory School employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at The Quad Preparatory School. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

48% of The Quad Preparatory School employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated The Quad Preparatory School 3.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.7 for culture and values and 3.1 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with The Quad Preparatory School Job Seekers