The Risk Advisory Group Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated 3 Aug 2020

The Risk Advisory Group CEO  David Claridge (no image)
David Claridge
Pros
  • "Interesting work, including opportunities to travel and gain expertise in new areas(in 6 reviews)

• "TRAG also has the best recruitment process I've ever been through(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management does not care about regular employees, underpaying them for the long hours they work(in 7 reviews)

• "TRAG is a largely exploitative company that pays it's most junior staff a slave wage on a zero hours contract(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews

"Toxic work culture. Dull work. Low pay. Sinking ship - do not jump on it!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at The Risk Advisory Group full-time

Pros

- lovely young and bright cohort of analysts and researchers, good friendships can be formed

Cons

- toxic work culture, bullying via GoogleHangouts or in person from senior staff to junior staff members happens frequently, office environment is intimidating and feelings of anxiety and fear regarding work performance are perpetuated by senior staff members who have been with the company sometimes for decades - work is very repetitive and cases are often boring , staff is exploited for their language skills but barely any new transferable skills can be acquired, training is very basic - high turn over rate of young staff speaks for itself, people go on to much more interesting and prestigious jobs, hence the company is frequently labelled a "sinking ship" - promotion process is arbitrary and prioritizes men, low diversity within the teams and company has an employment preference for white Oxbridge/London universities graduates - long working hours do not justify low pay

August 19, 2020Head of HR

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Some of your comments are alarming. As you know, we provide numerous channels for issues to be raised. I am disappointed that you did not feel that you could raise these concerns while you were employed. I would welcome the opportunity to hear from you so that we can have a discussion about the points you have raised here.

"Great development, team driven environment"

5.0
    Current Employee - Associate in London, England

I have been working at The Risk Advisory Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Collaborative working styles, attractive role with fascinating research and a real chance to be at the heart of projects

Cons

Can be long hours but staff are encouraged to manage this themselves

May 21, 2019Head of HR

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review, your comments are encouraging and helpful. It is great to hear that your experience at Risk Advisory is positive, interesting and developmental.

"Poor culture, bad vibes"

2.0

I have been working at The Risk Advisory Group full-time

Pros

Interesting work, smart and creative people.

Cons

Senior management does not care about regular employees, underpaying them for the long hours they work. There is a gossipy and bullying culture in DC and some of the other offices.

May 7, 2019Head of HR

Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge the ability of our colleagues and the nature of our work. The other comments that you have made have been noted. Good luck with your new role.

"Perfection (realistic or otherwise) is the name of the game here"

I worked at The Risk Advisory Group full-time

Pros

Note: I worked in the due diligence/business intelligence division of Risk Advisory. - The team is full of friendly, smart, hard-working people. - The work is intellectually engaging, rarely gets boring or tedious. - Not sure how the culture at London headquarters is, but the satellite office I worked in was far removed from any pernicious office politics and passive aggressive and hostile behaviours. Everyone was generally friendly to one another. There wasn't much teamwork as everyone does his/her own reports.

Cons

The company's main issue is that it expects a lot from its employees without giving them proper training and feedback. The work is not easy and new hires without prior experience in the due diligence industry may be slow to get up to speed and fulfill the management's expectations. As a result, several people did not pass their 6-month probation shortly before and during my time working there. The interns, too, come and go without undergoing proper training and receiving much guidance. On the other hand, those who thrive work long hours (late in the evening and in weekends). The pay is okay but there many other jobs with better work-life balance. Perhaps this is just the nature of the due diligence industry. The key to do well here is to be very proactive and engage your seniors/managers regularly to know how you are doing. Then spend time reflecting on their feedback and implement it in your work. Otherwise you may think that things are going alright until they tell you in the 11th hour that you are not up to standard. The hiring process was a bit reactive and haphazard. For example, there was a time when the management was expecting several projects in X country, and thus there was an instant impetus to hire someone who speaks the language there. But then when business slowed down, that person's abilities might become a little redundant (and this probably gave the company another reason not to pass his/her probation, which was long enough for the business to ebb and flow and gave the management enough time to assess if this employee was needed in the long-term).

Continue reading

"Interesting work; work-life balance needs addressing"

4.0

I worked at The Risk Advisory Group

Pros

Diverse, interesting work; collaborative atmosphere; opportunities to travel.

Cons

Sometimes very long hours; pay could be better; could be more senior managers with experience outside the company.

"Terrible management and very low pay"

2.0
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at The Risk Advisory Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

International team and good office location

Cons

The salaries are overall very low for highly educated and intelligent people, which makes the turn-over at the company ridiculously high. Add the terrible management and you have a mess of a work-place with long hours and zero benefits.

"Long-term, full-time role"

4.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at The Risk Advisory Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I was at the company for a number of years, working with many talented and intelligent people who really cared about their clients and backing up the claim that the company is a high quality service provider. There have been times when I have spent long hours in the office and pushed myself to the limit - I was never asked to do overtime - but I was willing to do so because I identified with this ethic and signed up to the concept. I always felt that I could be myself and was encouraged and trusted to take on more senior roles throughout my time at the firm. There has been almost a family atmosphere, whereby the team works closely together and more senior management will interact with staff across the divisions. With a culturally diverse staff, it is a great environment in which to learn about different ways of doing things and building international understanding.

Cons

Considering that the company is located in London Bridge, in an expensive and comparatively central area, the salaries for those lower down the chain create a challenge for staff to cope financially. Coupled with the long working hours (9-6) and relatively high pressure working environment, it can tend to put off high calibre applicants and discourage the most talented staff from remaining. That said, the company has recently increased starting salaries to meet the London Living Wage criteria and introduced some additional benefits for existing staff.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 7 English Reviews