The Risk Advisory Group Employee Reviews about "trag"

Updated 4 Jun 2020

The Risk Advisory Group CEO  David Claridge (no image)
David Claridge
Pros
  • "Interesting work, including opportunities to travel and gain expertise in new areas(in 6 reviews)

• "TRAG also has the best recruitment process I've ever been through(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management does not care about regular employees, underpaying them for the long hours they work(in 7 reviews)

• "TRAG is a largely exploitative company that pays it's most junior staff a slave wage on a zero hours contract(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "trag"

Return to all Reviews

"Exploitative and mismanaged workplace"

1.0
    Former Employee - Junior Research Analyst in London, England

I worked at The Risk Advisory Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The company looks good on the CV and helps you get a new job, which you will inevitably want to after a few months at TRAG. - Some great colleagues, who remain friends even after leaving. - A few (very few) good managers who will go out of their way to help you and offer advice.

Cons

- TRAG is a largely exploitative company that pays it's most junior staff a slave wage on a zero hours contract. Whilst you almost always do the 40 hours stipulated, it's still shocking that new graduates would be better off financially working in an entry level hospitality job. -There's almost no opportunity for upward progression, meaning the company loses some very talented staff members to other companies in the sector. This is exacerbated by a hostile, almost predatory work culture. -The working environment can be described as dysfunctional at best and hostile at worst. More senior members of staff routinely belittle more junior members. What's worse is this is more often than not done over Google Chats or email, despite sitting mere metres away from each other. Only a handful of senior members of staff offer anything resembling constructive criticism, meaning more junior employees have limited opportunities for personal growth and development. -Junior members are given the most mind-numbing, simple jobs with very little opportunity to work on anything substantive. Whilst the simple jobs offer a good foundation, access to working on bigger and more complex projects allow junior members to grow the analytical skills necessary for success in the industry. -Upper management is a shambles with no clear strategic direction disseminating from the top. Members of middle management's only job seems to be crush the spirit of more junior staff, creating a culture of fear within certain parts of the company.

June 5, 2020Head of HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your time with Risk Advisory. When issues are raised as part of an exit interview, they are fed back and discussed with the relevant practice, this gives us the opportunity to continually improve and to work towards being the best employer that we can be. Good luck with your future career.

"The fish rots from the head"

2.0

I worked at The Risk Advisory Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Junior hires are a smart, talented group of people who are given a lot of responsibility (for better or worse).

Cons

If you value fairness and equality - TRAG is not the place for you. I perceived the pay and promotion structure to be arbitrary at best, and gendered/racially biased at worst. More damaging, however, is the top down culture of bullying. In my time at the company, I witnessed senior managers routinely engage in behaviour that any reasonable person would consider to be humiliating, belittling and condescending to junior staff. Applicants should not underestimate the potential negative mental health consequences of working at this company.

April 30, 2020Head of HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review , albeit a disappointing one. I hope that you took us up on our offer of an exit interview to discuss your feedback and to give us the opportunity to respond to your concerns. If not and you would like your opinion heard, please do contact the HR team. I wish you well in your future career.

"Rotten to the core"

2.0

I worked at The Risk Advisory Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The junior staff at Risk Advisory comprises a lovely, motivated, bright group of young people -life-long friendships are made here. There are also interesting opportunities for travel and language development.

Cons

This company is deeply dysfunctional. It is run by a toxic senior management team, which perpetuates an unhealthy environment of favouritism. Employees must pander to the problematic and unprofessional personalities of the senior management across the divisions of the company or they will stagnate. Metrics for success are arbitrary and inconsistently applied, and, more often than not, those that do well are people that look and sound a certain way (white and posh). Employees are required to work banking hours, but paid nowhere near as much. The editing/proofing process required for all company output is brutal, punitive and seems mostly designed to erode employee self-confidence. Employees that leave the company and come back looking happier and healthier are described as having the post-TRAG glow. More troubling still is the company’s knowledge and acceptance of inappropriate behaviour toward female employees by male middle managers. The list of utter failures by the company’s management team to act with basic human decency toward its own employees is long. It is no wonder that my former colleagues still at the company describe it as a sinking ship. When I joined, despite reading the reviews, I thought my experience would be different - it wasn’t and it won’t be for prospective employees.

April 21, 2020Head of HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I hope that you took us up on our offer of an exit interview to discuss your feedback. If not and you would like your opinion heard, please do contact the HR team. I wish you well in your future career.

"I worked at The Risk Advisory Group part-time for over a year and a half."

Former Employee - Marketing and Business Development

I worked at The Risk Advisory Group part-time

Pros

I really enjoyed my experience as a Business Development & Marketing Intern in the DC office. In the year and a half I spent at TRAG, I had the opportunity to work closely with directors and C-level individuals which provided me with invaluable experience. My boss, the Business Development Coordinator quickly gave me challenging and interesting tasks that enabled me to master my skills and learn new ones along the way. I also really appreciated being able to develop a strong relationship with the marketing department in London. This helped me gain experience communicating with an international department. As for company culture, the company has great clubs you can join (i.e culture club or sustainability club) that allow you to get to know people in different departments. While I was there I was a part of the culture club and was able to help plan our Christmas dinner and summer party! I also really appreciated how dedicated they were to professional growth.

Cons

The Washington DC office is on the smaller size. I didn’t mind this because it allowed me to develop deeper professional relationships with certain individuals, but if you're looking for that big office feel the DC office might not be the place for you.

October 24, 2019Head of HR

Many thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. It is great to hear that your experience was a positive one. We wish you all the very best for the future.

"Associate"

4.0
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at The Risk Advisory Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are constantly surrounded by some really brilliant people who never fail to help when asked. There is definitely a sense of camaraderie among the more junior staff that makes joining feel less intimidating. The work is interesting for the most part - some projects can be more of a slog than others while others can be extremely engaging. TRAG also has the best recruitment process I've ever been through. It was completely professional from start to finish and I was always kept in the loop.

Cons

Salary could be better especially for the hours we do work. Most TRAGers work well past 6pm, are always on email and often working on weekends. More consistent training and more bespoke training are a must - it felt very inconsistent and haphazard, especially as line managers and group directors were rarely involved.

February 25, 2019Head of HR

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate your comments.

"Great place to work and learn!"

I worked at The Risk Advisory Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked at TRAG's DC office doing Marketing & Business Development and definitively got a lot out of it. As a recent college graduate, I took a position with TRAG with little experience and not really knowing what to expect. I was quickly given challenging & interesting tasks that pushed me to refine my skills, while also learning new ones. The DC office is small, tight knit group of teams that work closely together. Additionally, I got to work with international teams such as the London Office's marketing team, which was a plus. Lastly, my supervisor, The Business Development Coordinator, taught me valuable skills and was an overall pleasure to work with.

Cons

I do not have many cons for TRAG's DC office, however, if you are looking for a work environment with weekly events or tons of company culture activities, this might not be the place for you. There are some after work activities but they are not frequent.

7. "Fall Internship - Inclusive & Collaborative Community"

Current Intern - Fall Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Risk Advisory Group for less than a year

Pros

My time at TRAG will be my 4th internship in Washington D.C. and by far it has been the most welcoming and intellectually enthusiastic. What has impressed me most is that TRAG genuinely seeks to train and encourage the development of their interns by involving them in a variety of projects to expand their capabilities. My hours have been very flexible and my team in particular has prioritized my school work. In particular, my manager has really made positive impact on my experience. She actively looks for new opportunities that would expand my skill set in the industry I'm interested in. She has been very clear with her expectations, making certain I have opportunities to innovate and make a real impact in my work. What I've appreciated most is that she not only makes certain that I have work, but has been genuinely concerned whether or not I enjoy my work. Community-wise, from someone who has interned in both the public and private sector, I was pleasantly surprised to find such an welcoming and diverse group who wouldn't hesitate to invite you to lunch. TRAG employees are witty to say the least and happy to share their experiences as well as engage you in a respectful range of political and social views. The senior members of the team make a point to know your name; don't be surprised if they ask you your coffee order. In my early weeks here I had the pleasure of meeting TRAG's CEO, Bill Waite, who struck me as authentic and was interested in hearing about my internship experience and asked thoughtful questions.

Cons

This really isn't a reflection of TRAG, but I only wish I hadn't chosen to intern part time as opposed to full time. I think I would have really benefited by having more time to learn from this diverse group of intellectuals.

Continue reading

"Incredibly interesting work; highly educated, intelligent, and supportive staff"

4.0
    Business Intelligence in Washington, DC

I worked at The Risk Advisory Group

Pros

The core of the work that TRAG provides for analysis and exercise is, without-question, some of the most interesting and challenging content a young professional working in D.C. will encounter. From financial, political, and security inquiry and determination on broad and precise levels, to engaging in and working-out the nuances of expressing risks to clients, what I would call an art, research associates and interns at TRAG can expect a diverse array of independent thought process to cover their workloads. Such workloads typically include helping private and public sector clients assess their business-related conductions and transactions, but can also involve investigating into, for example, complexly intricate financial services fraud syndicates. Importantly, such work as described is headed and assisted by noticeably educated, intelligent, and diligent D.C. staff. At TRAG, you will work with many of the smartest people you'll ever come-across professionally. Various staff hold Ph.Ds., speak multiple languages (largely Spanish and/or Arabic), and have an uncanny knack for felicitous writing.

Cons

My overall con with my experience at TRAG (which, mind-you, was cut-short by a job offer from the USG) was that the intended and required style of writing, for the general work, was something that appeared instantly expected by senior staff. Because of that expectation, in addition a lack of awareness that informal training and guidance would be helpful, I felt that some my works could have been improved had staff took the time to guide me more intimately. From the outset, I sort of felt like a lone wolf tackling different writing projects; and trust me, I have the capacity to take that position on and frankly I prefer it, but that approach was reinforced in a manner that didn't inform whether what I was doing was precisely desired, rather it sort of felt that (at times, at-least) that staff just wanted me work on SOMETHING. Yet, this perception was particularly confusing when I was specially commended for various works, but not necessarily for others; by not necessarily for others, I mean that I received no genuine feedback on work, and because I learned trial-by-fire initially, I couldn't exactly pinpoint my general progress to feedback provided. Essentially, I think Management should consider drafting informal guidance on writing styles desired, as well as consider the level of genuine feedback staff provide one another. No employee should feel that their writing style sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't, without clear guidance and training on what style of writing TRAG desires. I think upper-level, Management staff have a big role to play here. BE CLEAR---from the get-go and throughout---on what you are looking for writing-wise, and don't provide feedback/guidance in a frustrated and thus unprofessional way. Your talent is a good as you counsel and treat them.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.