The Siegfried Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

The Siegfried Group Reviews

Updated Oct 4, 2019

3.9
The Siegfried Group CEO Rob Siegfried Jr.
Rob Siegfried Jr.
Pros
  • "A lot of the time bridging the experience from Big 4 to Industry(in 10 reviews)

• "Exposure to the large Fortune 1000 companies (across industries as well)(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Having Siegfried on your resume may actually hurt your competitiveness if the next hiring manager you interview with is from the big 4(in 9 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance could be better(in 7 reviews)

"Thank you Siegfried"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Rogers, MN

I have been working at The Siegfried Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I joined The Siegfried Group (“Siegfried”) for what I thought was going to be a 4-year stint and location stop in my career while my wife was transplanted to complete her 4-year medical residency at the Cleveland Clinic. Little did I know what was to follow. I couldn’t have gotten off to a worse start when I was assigned to a multi billion dollar mining companies corporate FP&A team (the “buyer”) who planned... to insert me within their IT group as the finance expert to liaise and report back to corporate FP&A. The tension between the groups was evident on day 1. The project was to help determine expense vs. capital treatment, system coding and work flow, along with creating their annual budget and 5-year strategic plan and be the finance voice for IT. I was sympathetic to the IT teams challenges and quickly embraced the IT team’s style. This did not sit well with the buyer and within two months they called the local Siegfried managing director (“MD”) and said I was done – “get Tom out of here!” I should have expected to be let go on the spot. “Who is this brand new resource upsetting my established client; what is going on?” the MD had to be thinking. However, the MD came out directly to speak with me, to get my side of the story, determine his own fact pattern based on feedback not only from the buyer but also myself, the resource. I learned two extremely valuable lessons that day. 1. Consulting 101 means keeping your buyer happy. This is not a required audit service that the client has to pay for in some fashion. The buyer is choosing to use their company’s hard earned money to engage us for what they deem to be very important work that they cannot get to on their own. They need to feel good about the arrangement, period. I was a little hard headed coming out of private equity and I did nothing to ensure the buyer was feeling good about the arrangement. 2. Leadership has our back. The resources at Siegfried are so ultra valuable. Leadership goes out of their way to ensure they are delivering on the 5 promises to us. They want us happy, they want us to stay as long as possible and create win / win scenarios while catapulting our careers. I have experienced countless examples of this throughout my time at the firm. Moving on from job 1 – things get better: With a wife putting in 70 hours every week on rotations, I needed to be there for my two boys. I was given 8 outstanding opportunities in 4-years in the local market while not traveling at all. Public debt raises as part of an acquisition, proforma build outs, consolidations group accounting, international intercompany reporting, external reporting for public filers, plant controller for a division reporting to public companies, and assimilating into another big four firms culture and use of audit software to benchmark against my time at Grant Thornton. The hockey stick learning curve reminded me of when I came out of college into public accounting. Yet I was getting paid for all the blood sweat and tears. My mental state changed, I was being rewarded and people appreciated me. During the first 4-years, I was quickly embraced by all the local and regional leadership and found myself attending these super extravagant recruiting and business development events. I became a team leader to help others and share best practices, and worst practicesJ. The My Journey (“MyJ”) experience was launched, and I just remember being in awe. The forward thinking, the investment in us, the challenges presented to us, the change of mindset it brought on, was something out of this world. The MyJ days were the most valuable and treasured experiences of my year, hands down! I wrote a thank you email to our CEO for that very reason. Naturally, 4-years was up, and I was not even close to being ready to leave the firm, but we were leaving Cleveland. So…..I guess I’ll travel, while the wife completes her fellowships, and the family continues to bounce around the country. Travel begins – opportunities get exponentially better: The very first assignment was an IPO readiness project north of Atlanta, GA. I was given a team of Siegfried seals to pull off an incredibly tight deadline and ask; but we did it. We learned with the client and PwC IPO experts and the Company files today on the NYSE. We were so valued by the Company. So appreciated, and respected, and we left with such incredible feelings all the way around. From the IPO, I left for Austin, TX where I worked in parallel with a treasury operations team to raise $46 billion in debt financing across multiple instruments and tranches in order for two companies to merge as the largest technology deal of all time. I then headed to Philadelphia and welcomed the opportunity to fulfill the Director of External Reporting and Technical Accounting for a $1 billion data analytics company with IFRS and US GAAP financial deliverables, and later assisted them with their F-4 document to go public as a foreign filer. Then to Los Angeles where I lead a team of 5 Siegfried professionals in parallel with PwC; to produce sixteen sets of three-year, SEC compliant financial statements for the regional sports networks that were carved out of an existing acquisition, which was known as the largest sports transaction in history valued at over $15 billion. Moving across the country to Manhattan to assist a $10 billion media company’s external reporting team with all annual and quarterly external reporting responsibilities and lease adoption nuances. The point to my ranting is that the locations of work, and type of work that Siegfried has provided me is nothing short of jaw dropping. Oh, and by the way, Siegfried pays you more when you travel because they understand the inconvenience it causes for most; yet it is now my convenience. I now reside outside of Minneapolis, MN as part of a National Road Warrior market and I see everyone I know at least annually at our lavish annual retreats. I am not aware of a single company that gives back and promotes having fun as much as Siegfried. I’m an active 8-year professional resource, and I’m here to thank Siegfried!

Cons

Mandatory minimum number of contacts for relationship tracker for outside networking. Great intention and purpose, but expected hour commitment with relationship building is not aligned with actual requirements.

Advice to Management

Keep building up our name and reputation until every fortune 1000 has heard of us.

The Siegfried Group2019-10-04

"Challenging work, 45hr work week, amazing comp but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at The Siegfried Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- short term projects to fill critical needs at clients - most of the time the work is interesting & challenging and even when it's not, you still get to network with a new team/client who's usually Fortune 500/1000 so not a bad network to have - comp and bonus structure is amazing. rewards you for anything you put in that is above and beyond. very entrepreneurial i.e. you can pick and choose what you want to... put your time and efforts in and you get rewarded for the extra efforts, or if things are going on in your life that require more attention than "extra" work just do the bare minimum required and settle for base pay and that's fine too. - CEO is passionate about the firm and about developing and retaining talent.

Cons

- if you get deployed the moment you get hired there's a fair bit of onboarding to do so in a way it's like starting 2 new jobs at the same time. - for leadership development programs/firm wide meetings (in super nice places like the Cosmopolitan in Vegas), we have to share a room with a roommate. Some of us would really rather stay at a cheaper nearby hotel if we can get our own room. Feedback has been provided at... one of the group sessions, if this does get rectified i'll update this review accordingly.

The Siegfried Group2019-09-04

"Great Incentives and Career Opportunities"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Boston, MA

I worked at The Siegfried Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If willing to work hard and go above and beyond, sky is the limit for comp. Great team, fun team events Travel bonuses

Cons

Not many, not a job for those that want a 40 hr work week

The Siegfried Group2019-08-16

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Siegfried Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Entrepreneurial firm that gives you the opportunity to grow as a professional. They give you the tools to focus on your bigger future.

Cons

None to mention or that come to mind.

The Siegfried Group2019-08-05
  5. "Not the Worst"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Siegfried Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Local management in my market are great! A lot of opportunities for your professionals looking to leave public accounting, but don't know what they want to do. Not a perfect company by any means, but if you have a clear objective going in of what you want to get out of it it'll be easy to adjust and look past all the things you dislike about the firm.

Cons

Transparency issues; they say they're working on it.....time will tell Not the best for working parents, suitable for young people with time and flexibility

Advice to Management

Be more transparent!

The Siegfried Group2019-08-09

"Hit or Miss"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at The Siegfried Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Siegfried offers a good base salary and has great benefits such as a stipend every year to help grow your network, as well as money towards health and wellness. Management seems approachable and is very transparent.

Cons

Bonuses are mainly based on how many hours the client gives you which can be very limited. Even if you're willing to work more hours, you may not have the ability to do so. This job may be great for senior associates, but I found at the manager level it felt like I was taking a step back in my career and I wasn't being challenged. The clients I got placed on I felt like I was just doing busy work and it was hard to... stay motivated. I found that the experiences I did get looked good on my resume on paper, but did not challenge me as a person. Most of the time I felt like I was an intern reporting to someone who had less experience than I did, which was incredibly frustrating. What you get out of this experience is very client dependent, so others may have a better time than I did. I was promised to be challenged and learn new things, but at the manager level I found it was hard to even get placed on a client because at that level they wanted someone who had specific experience in something, and if I didn't have that then the client was not interested. There were times that I got really exciting opportunities passed along to me and I expressed interest, but then never heard anything back. It got my hopes up a lot of the time. There was a lot of people "on the bench" at my time here that weren't getting placed. If you're on the bench too long, you are forced to use your vacation time. If your client has off work for a holiday, but you don't, you are also forced to use your vacation time. There was a lot of pressure for us to introduce our networks to management for future business. This is the nature of the business, but it felt forced and uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

You need to find a way to get more challenging projects and experiences for managers and above.

The Siegfried Group2019-07-30

"Strong Experience"

Current Employee - Senior

I have been working at The Siegfried Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1.) Compensation- based on a fair system and truly tries to incentive everyone to do the right thing (i.e. production hours, travel, BD awards, recruiting, etc.) 2.) Leadership Training- Heavy spend/investment in the people of TSG to build their leadership. 3.) Quality Clients- Work primarily with Fortune 1000 companies. A lot of the time bridging the experience from Big 4 to Industry. 4.) Variety of... Projects-truly understand what type of accounting/finance in industry you are most interested in.

Cons

1.) Consulting- you need to be okay knowing your desk is going to change quite frequently, as you move from project to project. This is the nature of the business and not everyone is cut out for it!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. There is certainly a vested interest in all professionals at The Siegfried Group! It's a unique place and doesn't go unnoticed.

The Siegfried Group2019-07-02
  8. "Senior Associate in Central Market"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Siegfried Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wealth of projects to gain experience on high-profile clients (Fortune 100-200). Ability to grow and see different types of industry positions as opposed to leaving public for something you aren't sure on. Pay is incredible and can't really be matched in industry, personally doubled what I made at Big 4 in less than a year. Great company culture and the people here I've met across markets are incredible. Focus on... work life balance and living healthy, with significant funding for well-being and career development. Yearly trip to great destinations for leadership training that you are paid to attend.

Cons

Projects can be intense and client reviews are usually more in depth as Siegfried charges a pretty penny for your hours. Leadership in certain markets lacks ability to engage resources in meaningful or career advancing projects (Not the case in Chicago).

Advice to Management

Continue to improve on input from resources. Continue to sell to great clients and expand business opportunities for employees.

The Siegfried Group2019-07-02

"WOW! What a great place! Variety of projects that will help me grow"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at The Siegfried Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Variety of Exciting projects Grown My Salary and Compensation tremendously Work Life Balance much better than Big 4 audit Great Culture Opportunities to grow (different growth programs) Allowed to see what I enjoy doing with the excellent variety of projects, as I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but I knew I wanted to get out of audit...

Cons

I guess that I didn't specialize in any one particular area (which I think is good, but some might think it's a negative) so this prepared me for things I want to do in the future, and it allows me to actually be qualified to that

Advice to Management

Continue with the excellent growth opportunities for Resources, I think these rotational type programs area great!

The Siegfried Group2019-05-10

"Do not ever work here"

Former Employee - Associate Manager in New York, NY

I worked at The Siegfried Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation is what brings people in the door. The only plus is that you will make a ton of money if given the right client. Bonus pool for billable hours, tenure on client, and even a bonus for attending *mandatory* Saturday "Rob Siegfried Summits" branded as leadership development events and filling out corresponding busy work. Recruiting bonuses are huge but you are selling off your friends for money.

Cons

Client work is not challenging, basically busy work. Most clients do not care about Siegfried's staff - they are there because the client needs to fill a gap. No strategic projects and mostly staff and senior-level busywork. Basic GL accounting/monthly close is 90% of their "resource" placements. They also outsource audit staff to Big 4. You do not gain any valuable work experience if you are a B4 manager level or... above. Major cons is management. Multiple layers of salaried overhead "leadership team" that will treat you one way in person and throw you under the bus behind your back. The leadership team does not care about you or your career progression and only cares about you being deployed to a client as long as the client pays the hourly rate. A lot of the leadership team are useless, and either do not sell anything and have not ever sold anything, or perform useless jobs such as "reaching out to fraternity and sorority alumni to build the Siegfried brand" - again, a waste of a base salary. HR is nonexistent, you have "professional resource directors" many of which do not know the half of what you are doing at your client yet they perform your performance reviews and will not listen to your concerns about your client engagement or hear any negative feedback on your role. Full disclosure: I received 4 and 5 ratings from all of my client assignments, so this is not a personal bias as my ratings were fine. There is so much time-wasting administrative things you have to do to please leadership that you have to do on top of your client duties. Also, the whole "leadership advisory" thing is not helping.

Advice to Management

Eliminate useless leadership positions, listen to your employees concerns and get rid of the overall "fake" personalities.

The Siegfried Group2019-06-03