The UIP Companies Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 28 March 2019

3.4
Steve Schwat and Peter Bonnell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I enjoy being a UIPerson..."

Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at The UIP Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with UIP for about 2 years... This company has become family to me... The company plans tons of events that unite the site staff and engages the team in fun and interactive training... The principals and senior management are always available to speak with regarding any matter you have... I love the site that I work on... I am a very HAPPY UIPerson...

Cons

More staff needed to keep up with the exponential growth this company is experiencing right now... New properties coming on line all the time...

Advice to Management

Increase hiring using as many options as possible... Job Fairs, etc...

2. "Best company to work in."

Current Employee - Senior Accounts Receivable in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Accounts Receivable in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at The UIP Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This company is like a family, we have our ups and downs (more ups then downs) but we stick together in thick and thin. Everyone here is very pleasant, caring and will stop to help you in a heart beat. This company makes sure that you have all the tools needed for you to get your job done. They make sure that you succeed and not fail in your job. They support you by making sure that you are trained properly and are given the proper training tools. They care about your family and not just you. UIP has a open door policy for when you need someone to talk too, no matter who it is, they will stop to listen to you. They give you guidance and directions when you are not sure how to handle a matter. I could just on and on. I have been in the property management field since 1982 and this is the fourth company that I have worked for and have been with them for 7 years and only wish I have found them sooner.

Cons

I have not experienced any down sides with UIP.

Advice to Management

There is always room to grow with this company.

"Broken Process/Procedures and Volatile/Hostile Leadership"

I have been working at The UIP Companies full-time

Pros

There are no pros to this company. Since the departure of a VP a few years ago there is zero training and concern for those who work on site and do our best. It is chaotic, disorganized and demanding without clear direction from the leaders. Leadership is hostile and volatile which creates a hostile and uncomfortable working environment. People work hard and want to do a good job but the constant demoralization takes a toll. No one can perform to levels of greatness while getting beat down all the time. I joined the company with the hopes of being here for a long time. It is just too much. I have stayed too long. I cannot handle the constant negative emails, the screaming, the yelling and the demoralization that comes from the top. Steve Shwatt is the main person and he sends emails with no regard for how hard the team is working. I may not get them directly but they are sent to me and the team. I am embarassed to work for this company. Our team works so hard and every day we feel punished. There is another person.I think he reports to and/or is the puppet to Steve, Pete who will not help us. I have seen so many people come and go during my time. We had a great VP. She left. We lost a great VP and regional managers and many managers quit because of the toxic and abusive environment. This could be a great company if someone would sit back, relax and just listen to people. When I move on, I will focus on being collaborative and listen to people-even if we don't agree. That makes for a strong team.
    Pro--I have learned what NOT to do as a business leader. Thank you Steve and all the others like you. I learned alot. I have also learned what it takes to have a positive culture. A party does not create culture.

Cons

Hostile and volatile owners. No direction. Pay structure (which is not legal). No communication--except yelling and screaming and harsh, demoralizing emails from everyone. No moral compass. No appreciation for people who give up family time for the company. No regard for people who work hard and give up everything to help the company to be successful--it is thankless! I cannot wait to move on from this company. When the HR person leaves due to issues with the company, that is a clear sign to find another job.

Advice to Management

I did all I can do to help. No one listens/cares. My advice--you have two ears and one mouth, by design--use them in proportion--listen to what everyone has said over the last 5+ years. Nothing changes if nothing changes. The leaders want to blame those around them.
    Hint: hold up a mirror--look closely--you will see why the company has high turnover and people who are unhappy and disengaged.

"Absolutely Horrible Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at The UIP Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Colleagues are great people. Projects are interesting.

Cons

Principals are out of touch with any sort of reality. Primary owner acts like a child where he has temper tantrums and outbursts against people, often in front of colleagues. Company owes a lot of vendors a lot of money. They don’t pay vendors on time. They treat residents in their buildings very unfairly.

Advice to Management

Start acting as an ethical company. Pay your vendors. Stop trying to be a bully company. Steve Schwat, stop being a cheapskate and slumlord.

5. "Great Place To Call Home"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at The UIP Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great site teams
    Great management
    Great principles
    Team atmosphere

Cons

Sorry no cons as a great place to work and call home

Advice to Management

Looking forward to many years working with UIP

"Nope..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at The UIP Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at UIP for a year + and my coworkers were great and the projects I was on were interesting redevelopment and infill.

Cons

The founder of the company, who happens to handle the development side has no clue. His leadership style is non existent and dictator-like. The other two principals are good people but are handcuffed by the founder.

Advice to Management

Bring in a real leader that knows how to manage architects and treat people respectfully.

"Property Management Division"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at The UIP Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to manage multiple properties and a chance to have some control of how your portfolio is handled.

Cons

Management style was punitive and completely disorganized. Policies changed on a whim and the expectations to perform were unrealistic. The amount of turnover that occurred also created a very negative environment. There were also random outbursts in the office that showed another side to upper management that did not bode well to employees. Work hours were amended after employment began and my 5 day work schedule turned in to a 7 day work schedule which was not what I'd signed up for. When we needed to spend money to make changes to and update the properties especially when it came to pest control, there was always push back. The expectation to do more with less to nothing was unrealistic.

"High Turnover Rate"

I worked at The UIP Companies full-time

Pros

Good Work and Life Balance
    Nice Co-Workers
    Some company events

Cons

Paid once a month
    Company pays little to nothing into Benefits
    Company expects more than they are willing to invest
    Hires friends with no experience

"Growing Company!"

Current Employee - Property Management
    Current Employee - Property Management

I have been working at The UIP Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun culture. Employee appreciation events. Opportunity for growth for top performers. Great performance bonuses and commission eligibility. Owners really care about the company and it’s people. We are called UIPeople :)

Cons

We are fast paced which can be overwhelming to some while others thrive. The days go by fast! That’s really the only thing I can think of- I am truly happy here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Not a place to stay long"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at The UIP Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, flexibility, work independently

Cons

No support, no training. Very high employee turnover

Advice to Management

Train and support your employees as opposed to throwing them to the wolves.