The UIP Companies Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Steve Schwat, Peter Bonnell, Heath Wilkinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place To Call Home"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at The UIP Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great site teams
    Great management
    Great principles
    Team atmosphere

Cons

Sorry no cons as a great place to work and call home

Advice to Management

Looking forward to many years working with UIP

2. "Property Management Division"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at The UIP Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to manage multiple properties and a chance to have some control of how your portfolio is handled.

Cons

Management style was punitive and completely disorganized. Policies changed on a whim and the expectations to perform were unrealistic. The amount of turnover that occurred also created a very negative environment. There were also random outbursts in the office that showed another side to upper management that did not bode well to employees. Work hours were amended after employment began and my 5 day work schedule turned in to a 7 day work schedule which was not what I'd signed up for. When we needed to spend money to make changes to and update the properties especially when it came to pest control, there was always push back. The expectation to do more with less to nothing was unrealistic.

"High Turnover Rate"

I worked at The UIP Companies full-time

Pros

Good Work and Life Balance
    Nice Co-Workers
    Some company events

Cons

Paid once a month
    Company pays little to nothing into Benefits
    Company expects more than they are willing to invest
    Hires friends with no experience

4. "Growing Company!"

Current Employee - Property Management
    Current Employee - Property Management

I have been working at The UIP Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun culture. Employee appreciation events. Opportunity for growth for top performers. Great performance bonuses and commission eligibility. Owners really care about the company and it’s people. We are called UIPeople :)

Cons

We are fast paced which can be overwhelming to some while others thrive. The days go by fast! That’s really the only thing I can think of- I am truly happy here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Not a place to stay long"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at The UIP Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, flexibility, work independently

Cons

No support, no training. Very high employee turnover

Advice to Management

Train and support your employees as opposed to throwing them to the wolves.

"Disorganized"

I worked at The UIP Companies full-time

Pros

They have a lot of buildings in the DC area and are very effiencnt when it comes to acquiring, renovating and leasing buildings. They have a very laid back Corporate office where you are able to rub shoulders with company owners, the VP etc

Cons

My position was poorly managed. I had 3 different people telling me what to do which caused a lot of conflict. I was moved around and didn’t really have a set schedule. They put a high expectation for you to be able to lease apartments that weren’t always visually appealing. It’s hard to sell someone on a building with cracked paint and dingy carpet when they can easily do down the street for something better. You will constantly be bombarded with emails even on your day off.

Advice to Management

Streamline property management and maintainance of buildings so that residents don’t have to complain multiple times.

"The negatives outweigh the positives"

I worked at The UIP Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a shame. There a plenty of positives but as you see below the negatives just completely outweigh them. For starters the salary is decent, there is a bonus structure for some positions and has a really good portfolio of properties. When I started at UIP, I truly respected the knowledge I received from the principals and coworkers. There is a lot to learn and not one day is a dull day. UIP is a fast and growing company. Their acquisition team is very active and they acquire new and interesting properties (most go into development) aggressively. Due to the size of the company, you are forced to work with each other and for each other. This encourages collaboration and new ideas and approaches. Most of the people I worked with I liked and enjoyed working with them.

Cons

Although there's a bonus "structure" it is not consistent. Your bonus structure is based upon the work you do (which is fair) and sometimes those tasks are based upon work of others. This was supposed to create less subjectivity and fairness. It did not. Many times I completed said tasks and not receive a full bonus for those tasks because the principals felt that it was not deserved for their own reasons. There were times that I did not receive full bonus due to the fact another department did not complete their task fully and yet their bonus was not affected by their poor work habits.

There are people that you will need who are never available because they are on a property and sometimes your day could be spent waiting for them. This only makes the day longer and will affect your work/life balance.

Although, your pay is decent, the insurance is quite high for a family with very limited choices.

UIP is split up by three major companies; property management, asset management and general contracting. All are led by a different principal. The property management principal is probably the most even keel of the three. Very approachable and knowledgeable. The principal of the GC is a good guy, treats his people well, but seems to be very disorganized. The head of asset management is also the founder. Even though he is a knowledgeable individual, he is prone to temper tantrums, yelling and cursing at employees and just plain abusive. He has his favorites and he does not hide it. As I said above, the company encourages collaboration, but I found most of the collaboration I had was trying to figure out ways to explain something to this principal so he would not get upset or too agitated. This is just a waste of time. I would not doubt that his attitude correlates to the high turnover.

Other cons; there is a severe lack of structure (it's something that is dependent on the employees to make), clear guidance, training, high turnover and no 401K match. As mentioned above, they are very active and aggressive in their acquisitions; but this also promotes a severe lack of planning, poor communication to necessary parties and poor budgeting. It feels that all parties involved have conflicting information or no information at all. There are also times where there are too many chefs or inflated egos. They do not respect other people's time and sometimes it feels that you work for them and not with them and they are not your manager. You are also paid monthly, which was not mentioned to me in acceptance or interview.

Advice to Management

Listen and trust your employees. You hired them to bring structure to a very unstructured environment. They are trying their best with the tools you are providing. Instead of yelling and screaming have calm and calculated conversations. Communicate to them what is necessary from them and listen to their feedback. You might actually learn something. Hold yourself accountable as well. Figure out the why's something happened and not the who's. There comes a time where your temper tantrums are not taken seriously and you become a joke.

8. "Corporate Accountanting Manager"

Current Employee - Corporate Accountanting Manager in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Accountanting Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at The UIP Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I do like my work environment and people that I work with.

Cons

Location, due to red line unpredictable issues.

Advice to Management

To give access and option to work remotely by changing desktop into laptops. In such case employees wont have piled up emails or work upon their return to office, so employees can have more life and work balance.

9. "Good People; Growing Company; Smart Management"

I have been working at The UIP Companies full-time

Pros

Smaller company on the rise; growth opportunities for all; open to all new ideas; feel like you matter

Cons

There is no 401K match

Advice to Management

Keep reaching; keep listening to all and evolving processes

10. "UIP Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at The UIP Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

UIP is a growing company where there is opportunity for advancement and success.

Collaborative and an inclusive environment that values its employees opinions

Cons

The growth at UIP is exciting, but like all growing company's, there are some growing pains. These pains lead to tense moments that could be handled more professionally

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. UIP is is an exciting company with a bright future.

Continue working to create an environment that deals with the growing pains in a patient and solution oriented manner.