The Zappos Family "holacracy" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

The Zappos Family Employee Reviews about "holacracy"

Updated Apr 6, 2019

3.7
The Zappos Family CEO  Tony Hsieh
Tony Hsieh
Pros
  • "Great teammates free food and no bosses health benefits(in 48 reviews)

• "It pays the bills with great benefits(in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • "So many more meetings due to holacracy and a lead link is just a manager with a different name(in 26 reviews)

• "The real con is the fact that the campus is smack dab in downtown which lends to all the of the dynamics that all(in 21 reviews)

Reviews about "holacracy"

Return to all Reviews

"Fake...not what it seems."

Former Employee - Tech in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good health benefits. Good friends. The office before moving downtown was amazing.

Cons

Where to begin....the CEO checked out in about 2011 or 2012 when he started getting involved in the downtown project and it was shoved down our throats. Then we move from a great office in henderson to skid row downtown. Homeless EVERYWHERE. Felt very unsafe. Then they rolled out holocracy which was some type of management system with no managers. Wasn't well thought out. Engineering was in the middle of a project... with amazon and people were leaving in droves. Everyone could create their own job titles like code monkey, which was encouraged but which doesnt really wash with the people here on Visas who need any actual specific title to stay in this country to work. So no one had titles. No one knew how or what they were going to get paid. If you couldnt find a project to work on you would be put "on the beach" and if for two weeks or so while you were on the beach if you couldnt find something you were let go. And you had to earn "badges" like you were in the scouts in order to earn any type of pay bump. So many more meetings due to holacracy and a lead link is just a manager with a different name. Just things that make working more petty and confusing and ridiculous. Also, the vacation/sick policy was different for the phone reps as it was for hourly workers which was also different for salaried workers. People were not treated equally. I got 1 week of sick time a year (accrued) and 2 weeks vacation (accrued). For a company such as this this was unacceptable. You have people with no sick time left coming in sick and getting other people sick. This company has fallen SO far from what it was when I started. Very few people liked this new management style and so many people were unhappy by the time i left so many in my department had gone. And then contractors are brought it and it affects the culture b/c these people are just there to work, not really have any investment in the company.

Advice to Management

Get experienced people to run things and bring in professional people. It's like high school. You have some terrible terrible people working there. Esp in HR and Tech.

The Zappos Family2019-04-07

"Stay Away and save your sanity!!!"

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

All the Benefits are the only perks.

Cons

Leadership is non existent , HR will not support you ever, the most morally corrupt company i have ever worked for. People have affairs left and right, even the higher ups. They do not practice Holacracy, but didn't tell anyone. They are back to managers. The meetings are a joke, the Managers just tell you what is going to happen, but still make you go through the Holacracy process. They never stay with a plan for... advancement, went a 1 1/2 years without one. New management are micro managers. Disrespectful and Very aggressive environment, not nice. You will not be given the proper tools to do your job. Lots of Amazon gridlock. Its who you know and not what you know. Partiers and DUI holders are praised and rewarded. Financially frivolous. No bonuses. Once a year raise...if you qualify. The list of Cons is endless. Don't believe the good reviews, They have not worked there long enough. Think long and hard if you want to work here. I only stayed for the money. I left because i know i deserve a more respectful, honest and professional environment to work in. Don't sell your soul to the devil in sheep's clothing.

Advice to Management

I will not waste my time. They do not care.

The Zappos Family2018-12-07

"Leadership is exasperating at times, but the people are friendly and the compensation/benefits are better than average."

Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Zappos Family for more than 8 years

Pros

I’ve met some of my best friends while employed here for 10 years. There are some amazingly talented, genuine people that work here. Other pros: Casual, laid back atmosphere, flexible work schedule, good work/life balance, free/subsidized food, average pay, and decent benefits.

Cons

Leadership is all over the place. The company is split with some practicing Holacracy, other departments totally ignoring it, or others leading with some skewed version of it. Not the most terrible thing, but it makes collaboration with more than one team challenging. Change is an understatement - the changes are not a bad thing, however communication about any changes are horrible! Most changes still flow from the... top down. Employees are treated unequally - favoritism is rampant.

Advice to Management

It’s not your way or the highway! Stop getting in the way and let the talented shine. Be fair and supportive to allow all your people to demonstrate they are capable. And if they are not, everyone should be given the equal opportunity, time, and fair compensation to find another position within the company before being terminated. And, discriminatory jokes are not funny, period.

The Zappos Family2018-05-04

"Leadership is insane and completely disregards employees and reality in decision making, but parties are fun"

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Zappos is a very fun place to work, with a ton of opportunity to get to know your coworkers and spend time together. There is no shortage of on-campus petting zoos, snow cones, and free or subsidized food.

Cons

Leadership is infuriating. There is zero consideration given to employees, data, or common sense when serious strategic company decisions are made. All employees were asked to leave, and offered severance to leave, if they were not on board with holacracy. Very strong culture of "My way or the highway". Holacracy was prioritized above employee happiness, customer satisfaction, or performance.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat - get rid of all the leadership that hasn't accomplished anything measurable in the past 2 years. Listen for 5 seconds to the people who actually do work and care about moving the needle. By the way, holacracy implementation and being a culture captain isn't real work.

The Zappos Family2017-12-12
  5. "Merchandising Assistant Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at The Zappos Family

Pros

Working for Zappos was the best Summer of my life. All of the employees were welcoming, and made me feel comfortable right away. Aside from my managers, the other members of them team helped me when I had questions or concerns.

Cons

Sometimes the Holacracy structure of the company left me to do things on my own. At first, I wasn't a huge fan of it but it was because i wasn't used to it. However, I realized that that opportunity was my time to take initiative and get out of my comfort zone. By the end of the internship I loved that I had these opportunities to grow. But this is only a con if its something that you cant get past.

The Zappos Family2017-11-01

"Hit or Miss"

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun Culture, benefits, lots of resources, free food, guest speakers, community engagement, events

Cons

Can be unorganized and inconsistent when it comes to holacracy, it is not evenly applied throughout the company. The system can be easily manipulated and disguised as self-management when there is still plenty of micromanaging. Also lots of favoritism.

Advice to Management

Make expectations more clear, take holacracy seriously if you're going to do it. Don't just use it when you want, and ignore it other times to fit your own agenda. Listen to and understand the people you lead.

The Zappos Family2017-09-09
  7. "It was in the top 100 companies to work for... Was."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at The Zappos Family

Pros

It takes a certain type of people to work for Zappos. Because of that, most of the people working there are friendly and open.

Cons

Too many changes happened in a very short period of time. The move to downtown, tech migration to Amazon, switching to an unproven management methodology (Holacracy).

The Zappos Family2017-09-08

"Not what it used to be"

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time

Pros

Benefits Self-management Holacracy Flexible schedules Community involvement Looks good on a resume

Cons

'Management' 'Leadership' Communication Transparency The monkeys are running the zoo

Advice to Management

Promote leaders, not friends. Encourage hard work and results vs. not dealing with issues as they arise. Actually listen to those doing the work and help cultivate solutions instead of only dealing with things when your job is on the line. Be honest - it's one of the core values. Communicate - it's one of the core values. Value team members more than the team building events.

The Zappos Family2017-06-09

"A fun, great company but...."

I have been working at The Zappos Family full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employees (for the most part), Pretty fun semi-diverse group of people Great benefits - Health, dental, visiona and life insurance and other good stuff Free or subsidized pricing on food and snacks Safe work environment Fun and laid back atmosphere Lots of learning opportunities Can bring your pet A charitable company CEO is a pretty cool guy

Cons

Here's the sad and bad. Employees. As much as they can be a pro they are also a con. This pertains to the negative ones and they are a lot of them. Usually they're the ones who have been there 5+ years They seem to be still bitter about the change to Holacracy. There's also the really young entitled millennial snot heads who are annoying AF. The company prides itself on being like a family but truth is It they... are very clique-ish. Think high school. There's a lot of changes. Nothing wrong with change; However it seems like it stems from being unorganized and having the wrong people in certain roles to do a specific task or project. There's a lot of talented people who are going unnoticed so it's definitely about who you know to get somewhere Poor communication - No one seems to really know what's happening. Again, this is attributed to lack of organization Inconsistency - They like to call this change. See the above Movement. Not a lot unless you know someone and belong to one their cult group or cliques or wait a hundred years for someone to leave their post or circle

Advice to Management

Zappos is a great company. Better than 85% of the companies in Vegas; However based on observations, it looks like they need to do some spring cleaning with their staff especially with their Lead Links in the CLT program. I recently observed an employee who needed help and the lead did nothing except advise the employee to disconnect the customer's call while they had their feet up on the desk watching videos on... their phone. So much for being supportive. Looks like you've got a lot of lazy complacent employees. The company believes in being transparent, then they should live by that instead of having employees listen to hearsay that going through the rumor mill. Take a really good look at the people that you hire. There's a lot of unqualified people who aren't close to being a culture fit. Like really? How the heck did that happen? There's a lot of untapped talent on that campus. Learn how to find and use them.

The Zappos Family2017-04-11

"Used to be amazing"

I worked at The Zappos Family

Pros

The benefits are amazing. I also worked with excellent coworkers and made real friends there.

Cons

The work/life balance becomes work and socializing with work associates after work. Management has changed since holacracy and not for the better. I am glad I got out when I did.

The Zappos Family2016-10-14