Thomas Cook Reviews

88 reviews filtered by
  • Full-time
  • Part-time

1. "No customer focus"

Pros

Recognised brand. High street locations

Cons

The focus is on strategy and directional selling rather than customer needs. Low or no incentive to sell third party products even if that is what is right for the customer. High focus on selling insurance and other add ons and upgrades. Operational compliance is prioritised over everything including staff and customer needs. Staff of all levels are expected to prioritise work needs over homelife and happiness.

Advice to Management

Remember happy staff will make happy customers

2. "Bullied into working."

Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Plymouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Plymouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are always nice, they treat you like your a person.

Cons

Managers pick on you. They do everything to make you feel small and to feel just like a number! Especially when they make you work 8 day stretches and then say it's because we owed the company hours! They have a way of making you feel guilty, and I mean literally... Like if I have a day off in Sunday (bear in mind I might of it just worked an 8 day stretch and Sunday is my only day off for another 8 days!) they'll make you come in without pay, they'll say that you banked hours in the day even though I wouldn't off banked hours they actually build your roster around owing the company hours!

Advice to Management

You need to allow us to have a social life! Full timers get paid an awful wage for what we do, but I really feel sorry for apprentices at my work as they put in the same effort and work as I do and they get paid less that £4 which can hardly be lived on at all!

3. "Resort Rep"

Former Employee - Resourcing Manager in Palma de Mallorca (Spain)
    Former Employee - Resourcing Manager in Palma de Mallorca (Spain)

Pros

Thomas Cook had access to wonderful hotels, they dispatched me to a great location. There are some great people in this organization.The uniform, the transport, some colleagues are really cool.eating in top hotels. some managers are really first class , very nice and very human. By that I mean "supportive". There training programme is extensive and lasts weeks.

Cons

The local "resort office" management (over the course of the summer , turned out to be horrible, and unfortunately it transpired hypocrites. The selection was a huge and massive experience. They make "conditional job offers", invite you somewhere and then there is a quite big, unnerving drop out rate. One person failed the "coach test" speaking and was gone. Others drank at the hotel bar, they were all gone. It is real devil-take-the hindmost set up. They appear to go through the whole summer like this. At the end of the assignment I asked to travel to a "dream destination", they refused. Some of them or horribly mean and twisted, and no one appears to be checking those. I will never again work for this cheesy cheapskate group. The flight out/back was almost okay, the crew certainly try, but the legroom, yuck. The last thing they really push you to sell trips, as otherwise you will be short of money. In my case what I had been told in the uK training part was not borne out in practise. One really must be a confident, cheerful presenter and really make the attendees laugh, and sell, sell, sell. There were far too many hours involved and it seems no union or authority controls this. So know what you step into "hard work" is what you step into.

Advice to Management

walk the talk, be impartial, be fair, don't overload people

5. "lack of focus on employee happyness"

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time

Pros

interesting products, international exposure, talented colleagues

Cons

continuous focus on strategy, not on empowerment of employees

Advice to Management

focus more on your people, they are the most valuable resource

6. "Senior Web Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Web Analyst in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Former Employee - Senior Web Analyst in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule, great work life balance. Fair pay.

Cons

The Frankfurt office has no culture. No opportunity for growth, no training. Too slow to move and act like a start-up. No incentives for team work or cooperation across countries which leads to internal competition and every man for himself culture. Also lack of management and great leaders. Management teams don't provide credit or shout outs for members of their teams. The general rule of thumb in management is to protect yourself! Bad people managers continue to manage analysts even when it is obvious they should only stick to sales

Advice to Management

Encourage team building and Improve mentorship system and help people learn more. Hire real, knowledgebale and supportive leaders and make sure managers are actually managers and know how to treat people. Listen to your employees and introduce 360-degree feedback!

7. "Cluster Manager"

Former Employee - Cluster Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Cluster Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Holiday Concessions , working with the public.

Cons

Inconsistent Leadership, moving the goalposts

Advice to Management

Treat your staff as human beings.

"Disjointed, Lack of Direction and Stuck In The Past"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some very good people working at Thomas Cook, in particular in the London office. Many of the people who work there are super dedicated and are passionate about what they do.

Cons

The business is extremely short term and the senior management are a pretty spineless bunch of people who breed a terrible culture, encouraging a blame culture from top to bottom. I was part of this senior management group and was utterly astounded how they would put people out to dry to save their own skins. The company openly talks about moving forward into the digital space, however many of the actions undertaken suggest this is just city talk. They are happy to talk the talk but do not walk the walk. The company is based in Peterborough which is probably one of the key reasons why they continue to plod along year on year. The talent pool is very limited and as a result the output is somewhat limited. In my experience the company employed some really talented people who were not given the time or resource to make any significant changes.

Advice to Management

Grow a pair and move the business out of Peterborough and move it to a location with a bigger talent poll.

9. "Not a great company to work for"

Current Employee - Content Coordinator in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Content Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed environmnent, opportunities to move between teams

Cons

Disorganised and no defined vision

Advice to Management

Value and motivate employees more

10. "Culture"

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall TC has a great can do culture, there are some major differences across the different markets, but having worked in banking and other sectors, there is far less red tape, and most people are very up for change, there is less convincing to do.

Cons

They are still at a relatively low level of maturity when it comes to change and so whilst that allows people to really push their agendas and gives some freedom, sometimes the change doesn't stick.

11. "Travel Agent"

Current Employee - Travel Agent in Bolton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Travel Agent in Bolton, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook part-time

Pros

fabulous place to work. amazing holidays

Cons

not the best paid job but its ok

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

RSS Feed </> Embed