Thompson Creek Window Co. Reviews

Updated 28 Apr 2020

4.4
Thompson Creek Window Co. President Rick Wuest (no image)
Rick Wuest
Pros
Cons
  • "I can't come up with many cons it's a lot of driving but I like driving so I don't consider that a con(in 10 reviews)

• "A work life balance for outside sales needs to be found, such as rotationing weekends etc(in 5 reviews)

"Okay if you do not care about your work"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked with the company for almost two years, and my opinion greatly changed. The facilities are very nice and there are a few seriously fantastic, nice, and hard working people. They also do host some nice parties and morale boosters. I also appreciate that they work with different charities in the area and help out the communities in that way. I think this company has good potential with some things being fixed.

Cons

TCW has potential but where it is right now, there are other companies in this area that offer more. To start, benefits are WAAYYY to expensive. I would bet the higher end of the chain does not value paying into benefits because if you wanted to stay competitive, it not hard to do. You just have to pay into it. If you are single, they are not too bad, but if you are needing to add anyone to your plan, you can forget about being able to bring a substantial paycheck home for the majority of positions here. There are quite a few positions at the company that make around or less than $20/hour and if you are providing benefits for a family of 5 . . . let's just say you better have a second job or income in your household. A good amount of successful, or could be successful people leave because of that. Until you work for a couple years with the company, you only earn a little over 3 hours of PTO a paycheck from the day you start. That means you can accrue 2 weeks’ worth of time off a year, and it takes a year for you to earn that. You can start using after your first 100 days but small chance you will have enough to take a week or two weeks paid vacation because you know, life happens. Accruing pto over time is normal, it’s the small amount and the low cap on what you can accrue that stinks. Which only started to bother me when this Pandemic with COVID-19. Thompson Creek showed its true colors at this time. I know there are companies that do nothing and companies that go above and beyond. I know TCW is not a fortune 500 company, but you work to win the “Top Place to Work” awards each year, there should have been more done. You can tell everyone in my department and others were fearful of losing their job, or worried about paying bills because we needed to call off for being sick, family members were sick, or afraid to be near people. If we wanted time off, we had to use PTO (normal) , but when they eventually came around to ASSURING US WE WOULDN’T BE FIRED for needing to not come in, some people maybe had a few days worth of PTO, and then we went unpaid. An additional email went out saying there will be a reduction in force. I was worried about how I was going to get paid and no one really communicated what that email meant for me. COVID-19 has made a couple things clear, parties are used as a distraction, communication is rough, and you are just a number if you are not a manager. There are some managers that do not pull their weight by either micromanaging or completely ignore the issue, and will very easily put it on their department instead of taking the "accountability" or having "integrity" . The quotes are because that is what they claim to be their values. You can’t even depend on the HR department to help you out, they either do not care and let things slide or are clueless. None of the HR leadership has been there for the past month. Its hard to feel the “open door policy” when no one is in the office during a critical time. While I was furloughed for over a month because of COVID-19, there were employees posting the pizza and spiked seltzer parties on social media. Good to know that everyone was having fun while I still do not have a job. Other companies in the area get things sent to their house, or regular communication. I know that costs money, but no one that I know in my department has even been checked in on and no one has checked on me. I know that is not an expectation, but that would have been nice. I get it, things are crazy right now, but it stinks to know your throwing parties, when I am still waiting to come back to work. When times are hard is when it matters. The mass email is good for an across the board message, but an email, text, or phone call would have gone a long way. I truly feel bad for those hard workers i mentioned earlier. Thompson Creek does possess some really great and talented people but their ability to shine is stifled and learning bad habits from managers. There are many younger managers or individual employees in a couple departments that are kept from shining or used to make those managers that slack, shine. There is a lack of support and mentorship. They feed you a little to keep you happy, but you have to be on the right side of the right manager to move up. I feel worse because we are all told that there is so much room for growth and development from our first call with a recruiter and it seems like a way to start blowing smoke early. Not to fault them, it is probably what they are told to say to get people in the door. They can not help that leadership does not care enough to grow and develop their staff.

Thompson Creek Window Co.2020-04-28
  2. "My Start"

Current Employee - Field Marketing Manager in Windsor Mill, MD

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Plenty of help from your team. Continued work education to build upon.

Cons

Recruiting could be more on point.

Thompson Creek Window Co.2020-03-23
  3. "Training Staff"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Real live training. Great support from staff members and teammates. Tim Shanty and the Management Team's style of teaching prepares you for what you will see in the field. The culture at TC is what every Sales Rep is looking for in a company.

Cons

Must love driving! Must be flexible enough to work alone and with a supporting team.

Thompson Creek Window Co.2020-02-22

"Fantastic training"

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

You’ll not only learn everything about the industry and our products, but the initial training and ongoing training will get the best out of you. Tim, the instructor and company motivator can identify each ones strengths and build from that. HIGHLY recommend if you’re selected.

Cons

So far I have seen no cons. Great environment all around.

Thompson Creek Window Co.2020-02-07

"Great company built with great people!"

Current Employee - Certified Factory Sales Representative in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

From the first moment I arrived at Thompson Creek HQ in Maryland, I was quite impressed. Everyone was so nice, from the second you walk in with Natasha greeting everyone every morning with such a bubbly personality, to the end of each day. The CEO, Rick, was outgoing and personable and genuinely cares about the people who are joining his business. The other sales teams and support to those teams were very encouraging and there was a lot of comradeship amongst them. My training was instructed by Tim Shanty, who did an amazing job teaching a rather large group of talented people. Tim is very raw, yet so refined as well, as every moment was so deliberate and full of meaning and inspiration. He is by far one of the most intriguing people I have ever met. Also, during my four weeks in HQ, I met most of the HR personnel (Helen, Liz, Kristy, Delaney and Jason) who were all so adept, and still able to be cool and open as well. I also met Jax, who is the Director of Sales, and she seems very sharp and clever. It was an immersive experience and for the first time ever, I felt like I was in the company of like-minded individuals. Everyone had a great attitude and sense of humor, for which I am thankful. One more thing I must mention, throughout our training, there were ongoing training sessions as well, which shows the level of dedication everyone has at Thompson Creek. Thompson Creek office as a whole has an uplifting energy.

Cons

Unless you count helping people, I don't see any.

Thompson Creek Window Co.2020-02-02
  6. "What a great company ! And top notch training."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mr. Shanty will be one of my most memorable instructors by far. Always cracking jokes and holding our attention all along while weaving us through an endless maze of obstacles and information yet never abandoning his principles to make things ‘stick’. Although sometimes repetitive due to halfwits like myself asking the same questions over and over again, he never lost his patience and if he pretended to, he’d make us laugh about it. Never has there been a more colorful spoken and inspiring trainer with a caring heart with one goal, which is, for all of us to succeed. His goodbye pep speech almost made me weep as I smiled from ear to ear. His insight on our character was impeccable. Teaming each and every one of us with our opposites in faults and strengths, just to simply learn from one another. Don’t think I didn’t notice that one. Especially in the team of 4 practice. I found him to not only be a teacher, he’s certainly a great coach as well. Thanks Mr. Shanty, you certainly went far above and beyond what I was expecting. I thank you and wish you the best for years to come! Never have I experienced such a culture driven company. They make you feel as if you're part of a family. I'm grateful for Thompson Creek for giving me this opportunity and restoring my faith in the American dream and workplace.

Cons

I'm honestly sitting here staring into space trying to come up with at least one Con and can't...wait... the only thing I can think of is that the plain liquid CoffeeMate is always at the bottom of the jar beneath French Vanilla and Hazelnut flavor and I have to somewhat fish it out to add it to the FREE endless hot coffee they provide and I can certainly live with that. Seriously, we have it good at Thompson Creek!

Thompson Creek Window Co.2020-02-04
  7. "Sales Trainer Tim Shanty was and is amazing!!!"

Current Employee - Factory Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Tim was truly amazing! I was in his January 2020 class and the class was very large but Tim went over and above to make sure we all had any and everything we needed to succeed. He made sure all of our questions were answered thoroughly and he helped us to believe in ourselves. And Tim made the class fun so the month flew by. I could sing his praises much more. Just know, Thompson Creek wants it's employees to succeed and Tim exemplifies the wonderful culture at this company and he truly cares. Tim is a rare breed to be sure. Also, Tim is a large part of why I want Thompson Creek to be my forever career, not just simply another job. I love you Tim and you have blessed many people by pushing me to succeed.

Cons

I haven't found a single one.

Thompson Creek Window Co.2020-02-05
  8. "Top notch training, Tim Shanty sets you up for success."

Factory Sales Representative

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co.

Pros

An owner who truly cares about his employees. Thanks Rick!!! A truly superior product to stand behind, makes selling it easy. A very positive, inviting work environment with an inspiring culture. The most educational training experience I have experienced. Sky is the limit.

Cons

Wish I found out about this company earlier in my life.

Thompson Creek Window Co.2020-02-01
  9. "Best Home Improvement Company To"

Current Employee - Factory Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing team-oriented culture to work in. Put in the work and you can have a life changing career. Everyone is willing to help you be successful. You just have to ask. HUGE: You won’t ever be permitted to lie or deceive a customer. This is legitimately an honest company to sell for because we truly do have the best products, the best warranties, and the best customer service. Period. Tim Shanty is an inspirational, dedicated, thorough trainer. If you can’t sell after he gets done with you, sales is not in your DNA. It’s not on him. Rick Wuest is an awesome owner. He truly cares for his employees on a personal level and wants only to see our lives made better by working here.

Cons

It’s not really a con, but if you’re lazy or easily pessimistic, this isn’t the job for you (sales). Success comes to the one who rides the waves and doesn’t quit during the difficult seasons.

Thompson Creek Window Co.2020-01-29
  10. "Tim Shanty is great!"

Current Employee - Factory Sales Representative in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

As our sales trainer, Tim did an awesome job of teaching our class how to truly be knowledgeable reps or our product line. I will forever be indebted to Tim for his education, patience and encouragement.

Cons

Still looking for a con to say, but can't think of one yet.

Thompson Creek Window Co.2020-01-30