Thumbtack Reviews

3.8
Thumbtack CEO Marco Zappacosta
Marco Zappacosta
Pros
Cons
  • "There are little to no significant cons to working here, other than growing pains are causing parking to become an issue(in 25 reviews)

• "They don't offer any 401K matching(in 18 reviews)

1. "Okay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manila, Manila

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work culture, work life balance

Cons

Low pay and few opportunity for promotion

July 2, 2020Social Media Support Manager

Thank you so much for leaving this review of your experience at Thumbtack. :) We agree those are some great pros, and we really appreciate your feedback on the cons. We wish you the very best!

2. "Incredible place to work!"

5.0

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Talented team members, a mission that resonates, and the ability to make a true impact.

Cons

We could collaborate more across teams

July 2, 2020Social Media Support Manager

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with Thumbtack! We're so glad you see the ability to make a great impact that we do. We're also grateful for your feedback about collaboration as this will help us become an even better Team.

"Run away"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Draper, UT

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are very good.

Cons

Leadership at all levels is poor at best.

June 29, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave this feedback. We wish you the very best in your future and thank you for the time and effort you poured into your position with us.

4. COVID-19

"Went Downhill"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The catered lunches, generous PTO policy, and great benefits. Thumbtack used to have a wonderful culture, where actions matched company values, employees were genuinely appreciated, and decisions were made in the best interest of the small businesses and employees. I had the opportunity to work with a lot of intelligent and hardworking people that drove me perform highly and learn new skills.

Cons

Culture shifted to one that includes a lack of transparency, poor management, actions of leadership don't align with company values. Thumbtack also does a really poor job of implementing feedback from the small businesses that rely on them. It became very clear that revenue is the only driver of decisions at Thumbtack, probably due to the amount funding from Sequoia Capital; I'd imagine they're very concerned about their ROI. The lack of loyalty to employees also really stands out, Thumbtack let go off many tenured, loyal, and high performing employees due to Covid. Head of Diversity & Inclusion and many ERG leads were let go as well, but due to current events Thumbtack is claiming D&I is a priority. Just one example of Thumbtack talking the talk but not walking the walk.

June 17, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We truly do appreciate you leaving this review with your feedback. As you mentioned, saying goodbye to 250 team members was an incredibly difficult decision and one that happened because of the effects of COVID-19 on our business. This didn't make it any easier, and we're sad that this could have the effect of losing trust from employees. We recognize that while we've made progress, we need to make diversity, equity, and inclusion a greater focus and one that we maintain for the long-term. We're working hard on that now, starting with a retrospective to more deeply understand the areas we need to work on.

5. COVID-19

"Good company. Poor communication & accountability."

Former Employee - Business Operations in Draper, UT

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is very welcoming from day one. The front desk, kitchen staff, and your colleagues never hesitate to say hello. The pay is good, health benefits are great, and perks are wonderful. Pre COVID-19 they offered breakfast and lunch each day including options for various dietary preferences. The office was well kept and cleaned on a regular basis.

Cons

There is a lot of working cross functionally at Thumbtack. Now, working cross functionally is not a con, however, the awful communication throughout various teams is. Direction does not often come from the top down and that is a problem when you are trying to create and implement a process or project. An employee should not have to fight each day in order to do their job.

June 8, 2020Social Media Support Manager

Thank you so much for this detailed and honest review. You've given some fantastic feedback on communication that we'd be happy to share with the Team. Living the values is so important to us, as you know, and we appreciate this call- out to make sure all positions are doing their best in that area. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave your thoughts and feedback to help make us better. We wish you the very best!

6. COVID-19

"Dishonest and manipulative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The perks and culture used to be great.

Cons

In-fighting, backbiting, and toxic culture. The HR team plays favorites and blacklists employees who aren't cheerleaders. Laid off 250 employee for no reason. They said it was because of COVID-19, but that was a lie. Work here if you feel like swimming in a shark tank where leaders are left to fight each other for position and authority.

June 25, 2020Social Media Support Manager

Saying goodbye to 250 team members was an incredibly difficult decision and one that happened because of the impact of COVID-19 on our business. Having to do it remotely made it even harder, and we're sorry to hear that it had this impact on you and your feelings towards Thumbtack. We appreciate your feedback on HR and leadership and thank you for all you provided to Thumbtack.

"Stop masking the truth with culture"

Former Employee - Sourcer
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The team I worked with was phenomenal. I learned so much while working here and decided my career path. The culinary staff, the friendships, the WPX team, the awesome office, etc.

Cons

After a lot of reflection, I’m grateful for the knowledge I received while being at Thumbtack. That being said, I should be much further in my career than I am. They stunted my growth, they played favorites, and HR didn’t protect us. We weren’t paid to industry standards. Management, before I was laid off, was getting to a better point, but prior to that management was awful. They played favorites and had hidden agendas. They threw people under the bus, and sometime the people they threw got let go for “performance.” Many of the people in leadership positions should have NEVER been in leadership positions. I was taken for granted, my skills were taken for granted, my entire team was taken for granted and it hurts me to my core. I gave you two stars because I love what Thumbtack is doing to help businesses. I will continue to use Thumbtack, but I do NOT recommend working for a company who has hidden agendas, who lacks transparency, and who lays off 250 employees without batting an eye. They gave us the assumption we’d be safe and that was unfair and unethical.

June 5, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We really appreciate this transparent review, and we have shared it with the Team. Feedback this detailed can help us improve and we appreciate you taking the time to let us know your thoughts. We're sorry that you didn't feel protected or supported at times as we want every single employee to feel important here at Thumbtack. Saying goodbye to 250 team members was an incredibly difficult decision and one that happened because of the impact of COVID-19 on our business. Having to do it remotely made it even harder, and we're sad to hear your feelings on how it happened. We're grateful for all of the time and energy you put into your position with us and we wish you the best for your future.

8. COVID-19

"Started promising, but a disappointment."

Former Employee - Technical Sourcer

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits were great! My teammates were the gold standard for sourcing. They are intelligent, proactive, and creative. The locations were great and they made sure to spoil us.

Cons

Brought into the company with nothing but promises of growth only to experience back stab after back stab. The company blamed the sourcing team (not recruiting) for every woe and pain they could. The team took on each challenge and exceeded expectations every time, only to be scapegoats for another issue they have no connection to. I have never worked at a company that has answered exceptional performance with threats to our job security. The talent org overall created an ever present cloud of negativity looming over possibly the best team I ever word with.

June 12, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We're sorry to hear about your individual experience of Thumbtack, though we're happy to hear you found the team to be the best you've ever worked with. Saying goodbye to 250 team members was an incredibly difficult decision and one that happened because of the effects of COVID-19 on our business. This doesn't make it any easier. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all you provided to Thumbtack and wish you the very best in all you do.

9. COVID-19

"Best Startup I Have Worked At Thus Far"

Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

Transparency. Stability. Knowledgeable and strategic leadership. I have worked for six startups across the country. Startups are risky because you never really know the stability until you get in the office. I have been laid off four times from startup environments. The reason I joined Thumbtack is for the "recession proof" product. I did not want to be laid off again and felt the market was leaning that way when I joined. My managers and the founders were transparent in most avenues, more so than I have ever experienced. The first few weeks I was there I saw clear revenue reports, met everyone on the leadership team, and most of the directors that I would be reporting to. I had clear goals but the way to achieve those was left to me. I appreciate that I was given the opportunity to learn and flourish on my own while having a supportive team of managers behind me to help with any issues or questions I had. As I continued with Thumbtack I felt trusted, relied on, and appreciated. That combined with the support I have received really opened my eyes to how offices could be run. I also enjoyed the whole team. Working in SF it is so easy to run into tech egos and complete lack of perspective (ie: privileged af) . Thumbtack was a breath of fresh air. All the big company perks with the big company jerks.

Cons

Post Covid Morale Thumbtack saw its first lay off with the emergence of Covid-19. I will admit, the layoff process was cold but I understood from a business perspective. It is hard to ensure the safety of a company's networks and assets when saying goodbye to 250 people at the same time. But, it also had to protect those things to protect the 600 some odd employees remaining. My two cents, no one expected this lay off. Mistakes were made. It sucks. People are hurt. Perspective, Thumbtack did one big lay off in one solid move to ensure future runway and limit debt incursion. For those that are still there, I am glad they are with a company who thinks strategically and doesn't drop 30% of its staff more than once as we are seeing in other companies in this market.

May 28, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We really appreciate hearing from you in this review! You gave some great perspectives on things that have happened. Thank you for the time and effort that was poured into your position and we wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors.

"The most disappointing end possible."

Former Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

The in-house culinary team (though they were laid off) The in-house employee resource group leads (though they were laid off)

Cons

Unfortunately, Thumbtack laid off about 250 people. Yes, that’s happening everywhere and it was a necessary business decision, but the way it was delivered was not good. Employees were left scrambling to call their managers and peers trying to figure out what next steps were after being let go. Computers were shut off within minutes (we weren’t told they would be cutoff so quickly, no time for goodbyes) and we barely got 3 weeks of pay and about 4 weeks of health insurance. So many teams, and we’re given absolutely zero details on who they decided to cut. Even executives and long-tenured employees CHOSE to leave alongside those layed-off. I’m not even sure if there’s a recruiting team there anymore but I imagine Thumbtack is no longer a “best workplace”.

May 15, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate you being transparent with us and sharing your experience. Having to remotely say goodbye to 250 team members was a decision we had to make due to COVID-19 and it was an extremely hard decision. We support all former employees in their future endeavors, and wish you the best. Thank you for this feedback.

Found 287 reviews