Trailfinders Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Trailfinders CEO Toby Kelly
Toby Kelly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance is hard to maintain" (in 24 reviews)

• "Can work some long hours (but overtime is paid)" (in 36 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in Bath, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in Bath, England (UK)

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Trailfinders is a great company to work for, and one of the standout employers in the travel industry. The salary is substantial (especially with bonuses factored in), the opportunity to travel excellent, and you get to work with a great bunch of like minded people. They only promote from within so the potential for promotion and advancement is high. The atmosphere amongst staff is top notch, and there are plenty of opportunities to travel whilst working here. I've worked for Trailfinders for more than ten years, and genuinely look forward to going to work each day. No one day is the same, and I've had plenty of opportunities to try new roles and work in different locations over the years. Trailfinders invests heavily in its staff, and with a great training programme and local support network there's no reason not to succeed in a career here.

Cons

The hours can be long, and sometimes unsociable, but hey that's retail for you. The directors have recently made big improvements to flexibility in the working roster following feedback from staff, and I can think of very few downsides to working for this great company.

Trailfinders Response

4 Oct 2018

Thanks for your input; great to hear that the recent roster improvements are benefiting consultants.

2. "A Great Company with Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The fact they promote and hire internally for most roles was a big draw for me. A chance to work with like minded people in an enjoyable industry. Salary and benefits are competitive.

Cons

Every job has its cons and the while the hours are long and lunch short this was made very clear from the outset and I accepted this as part of the role before joining. I have since become more comfortable with

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. "An interesting job but not something I could do forever"

I worked at Trailfinders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The travel opportunities are amazing and it’s a really good way to meet like minded people. The training is the best I’ve ever had in a job and there is a lot of responsibility and it is genuinely really interesting if you like travel. The support from training to in store is great and there are lots of perks and the staff parties are really good. The job pays well and the free lunches are a big bonus.
    The job is very competitive which may not be for everything but the incentives are a lot of fun.

Cons

The job can be really overwhelming especially to start with. The work/ life balance is hard to manage, the hours are long with a half an hour lunch break, it’s difficult to get the time off that you want, although that is something they are working on. The HR department is really small considering the size of the company and although I feel very supported by in store management, organising things such as extended sick leave or maternity leave with people higher up seems to have been a struggle with people I’ve spoken to. If you want a day off for something like a funeral you have to find someone to swap it with and the bereavement leave is really minimal compared to other companies I’ve worked for.

Advice to Management

Would be good to have more flexibility with shifts and a bigger HR department, although I feel like my sales are rewarded and recognised I don’t always feel valued as an employee.

4. "Travel consultant Bournemouth"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have now worked for trailfinders for 18 months. The job is very rewarding and easy to manage. I thought my travel knowledge was extensive but has grown ten fold by the very professional way they train and grow you. I've been lucky enough to visit two countries in my first 12 months Vietnam and Canada for training educationals. Also with my travel fund they provide each employee every month I am looking forward to Any third Japan in March. The job is never boring and a solid career here in Bournemouth. The management team are creative, professional and above all fun to work with. Would recommend this role to Any budding traveller who is looking to settle in Bournemouth, with all the perks, opportunity for promotion and great salary it is all you would need to thrive here.

Cons

The job is never boring, and that is to say expect to be busy, you must manage your time effectively and be prepared to work weekends and late nights. For those days were all your work is completed you can request to leave early. The schedule can be difficult sometimes but they are flexible and will assist in coming up with solutions to find the important dares you need off.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, making it a place we want to come too and not a place to run away from. Really like the incentives you put to us and praise is always recommended.

5. "The best team in travel"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwich, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwich, England (UK)

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My passion is travel so for me there was only ever one job I wanted after university and I've had the opportunity to travel to probably 100 countries while working with a fantastic team of people committed to being the best at what we do.

Cons

We work hard, especially at the busy times of year, but the rewards and opportunities make it worthwhile. When I do leave the office I know the support structure is in place for me not to have to take my work home.

Advice to Management

Keep recognising and rewarding

6. "Great company to work for in the business!"

Pros

I've been working at Trailfinders for half a year now and I'm really enjoying it so far! We work hard, but with ample training, great support and a lovely team it's going well. Everyone is friendly and outgoing and I've always felt able to ask any questions, no matter how small. There's great opportunities to work your way up the company, and a clear structure to do so. I particularly like the fact that we only hire internally.

Cons

I have found working on the weekends quite difficult and an adjustment, but Trailfinders were completely transparent about the rota when we started.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive atmosphere and great training programme!

7. "Current Employee for more than 5 years"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with a great as they are like minded people who love travel. You get paid for every minute you work and there is a generous bonus scheme which pays you based on performance (the more you put in, the more you get out). Training is excellent as your receive 5 weeks in London before you go into store to prepare you. You are also constantly trained on the job by the management team in store as systems and policy evolve. There is a very generous holiday allowance which you can use towards holidays throughout the year. This is in addition to the staff deals that you get anyway so there is always a chance to experience great holidays.
    The promotion opportunities are also great as all recruitment in store is offered internally within Trailfinders and if you achieve and hit your targets then you will get promoted relatively quickly. Other points to note are your lunch and uniform are provided free of charge and there are opportunities for overtime if you want the extra money in the busy months.

Cons

You have to act quickly to get the best deals when the rates are released as its first come first served. The other negative is work/life balance as it is long hours (over 9 hours a day) and you will be working weekends. However Trailfinders have become more flexible in granting holidays and a single days leave in recent times and also allowing early finishes when it's feasible.

8. "world wide travel consultant"

Current Employee - Worldwide Travel Consultant in Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Worldwide Travel Consultant in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company have some great travel benefits for employees which you can use throughout the year where available, they also pay and supply lunch everyday which saves a fortune when working in the city, they also pay you for every second of overtime and you are paid during lunch breaks, the training is very good and you stay in London for 5 weeks to get used to the systems and the way the company works, then once in store you have coaching all through your career which I think is a great way to improve your sales and mentality. Also there are great opportunities to be had internally for career progression and they always look internally for any promotions or positions that become available.

Cons

The hours can be quite long at times, the late nights can sometimes be tiring when you work till 8 and then are back in the next morning at 9 and working weekends and bank holidays is something that comes with this type of job but can be tiring, it is pretty difficult to get stretches of holiday off at one time its do able but it can be extremely hard with the rules that are in place to keep things organised,

Advice to Management

The system for booking holiday needs to be looked at i understand some the issues the company faces when trying to do things globally but that has to be looked at more from the consultants point of view as well as it currently is hard to use any of the deals that we have on offer as you cant get holiday confirmed, and that is one of the main attractions to the company is the freedom to travel and gain more knowledge.

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work with like minded people who love to travel and chat about their holidays and experiences. Lots of opportunities for travel and deals on hotels/trips etc. Great benefits like free trips, good bonus for hitting target and nights out with suppliers.

Cons

The working day is long, 9 hours, and you do tent to stay later to finish admin or stay with a client. Only getting 1 day off with long stretches of working can be very tiring. Sometimes it is difficult to get holidays needed and always have to ask someone to work a weekend for you. There is not really much opportunity to progress unless you move to another office.

10. "Great working atmosphere"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Canterbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Canterbury, England (UK)

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training is excellent and ongoing and you are regularly reviewed and supported by management to make sure that your sales performance and career is on track. Hard work and a good sales performance are rewarded with salary increases, bonus payouts and educational travel opportunities.
    Its also great to work for a company who are committed to ethical tourism and regularly support charities through their charitable fund.
    One of the major perks of the job is working with other like-minded, well-travelled and interesting people who support you and make the work day enjoyable.

Cons

You get a generous holiday allowance but using it in the way you would like to is problematic - if you'd like a long weekend, short break or single day off it is difficult to achieve without taking a whole week off unless you are happy to wait until a few weeks before - this inflexibility makes planning ahead very difficult. Improvements have been made in this area recently but then been retracted but I think a solution is being worked on.