Trailfinders Reviews

3.9
Trailfinders CEO Toby Kelly
Toby Kelly
Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours - but this is expect and explained(in 57 reviews)

• "work/life balance - Working most of the weekends and long hours(in 37 reviews)

1. "Excellent company to work for!! Proud to be a member of team TF"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Kensington, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time

Pros

Extensive training program, ongoing training and support and excellent work perks

Cons

Fewer weekends off but not really a con if compared with other job benefits!!

2. "High stress and lack of support"

Former Employee - Worldwide Travel Consultant
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Trailfinders full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are passionate about travel then you will make lots of great friends here with colleagues. Potential to get very good travel deals. Free lunches are a bonus.

Cons

High stress and long hours. Its more like a call centre and you are monitored on your calls i.e logging in and out if you need the toilet. There is also an instant messenger used heavily to communicate with colleagues - this is really monitored. The CEO/founder is ex military and you can definitely feel that in the way the company is run - very regimented and no room for negotiation of things like holidays or swapping days off. Although you get great deals it is almost impossible to book them because of the ridiculous holiday policies. Whatever you do, make sure not to have casual chat on the company messenger system - certain words ping a message straight to the CEO/higher management (I know a few people who were caught out by this and heavily disciplined) Even when I was in training they refused to let me book time off for a wedding I had three months later saying it would be sorted once training was complete and I was in the travel centre. Once arriving in the travel centre the time was already booked off and I was not allowed it - subsequently missing a close friends wedding. Another thing to think about is the whole business model - will people really want to book over the phone in five years time? Most clients are older rich people so I am not sure of the companies long term plans as they don't seem interested in going digital. Lastly, there is little or no support given after training which in some respects makes you learn faster, however, prepare yourself for a stressful (most people who I trained with were reduced to tears at least once) and tiring six months whilst you get used to the archaic systems.

Continue reading

3. "Worthwhile if you put in the effort"

4.0
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in London, England

I worked at Trailfinders full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good travel opportunities Free lunches Likeminded individuals Better pay than other companies

Cons

Long hours and weekends High expectations

Trailfinders Response

Thanks for your post. Our Chairman has always said that the more you put in to the job the more you'll get out of it!

4. COVID-19

"Best in the business"

4.0
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for less than a year

Pros

I joined Trailfinders and the travel industry in March 2020 - likely the worst possible time to do so. Despite the disruption caused by lockdown and subsequent furlough, they've kept faith in their employees (old and new), solid financial grounding and the future of travel in general. With thousands having lost jobs in the industry this year, I will always be grateful to Trailfinders for sticking to their principles and securing futures for their newest recruits even when they were under no obligation to do so. The job itself is a far cry from the description in January, currently with long waits between calls and very little chance of making targets. Fortunately, unlike most competitors, the entry-level salary is liveable without commission. It's hard to tell how many of the perks we'll be able to enjoy any time soon but they are good when you get them - free/discounted hotel nights, heavily discounted adventure tours, a monthly fund to contribute to your travels. I believe TF will outlast the competition, it's just hard to see when the rewards of that will start being felt.

Cons

Employee morale seems to be low with the company's vocal prediction of a quick bounceback in demand not having materialised. Staff have been re-furloughed, hours cut back and there's admittance that we're currently much overstaffed. Redundancies will be an absolute last resort but people are worried should high season bookings not pick up over the next 6 months. Despite this, new recruits are still being brought in which sends mixed messages to the existing workforce. It all adds up to a surreal working environment as long as things remain as they are. Within the context of covid it's a strange job to have, but still one I'm very grateful for.

Trailfinders Response

Thanks for your feedback; you certainly have joined the travel industry at an interesting time! Thankfully you have joined a financially stable company with ambitious plans for the future; I can reassure you that our recent recruitment is purely to prepare for the inevitable busy times ahead and for further expansion.

5. "Moyen"

Former Employee - Travel Agent in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Trailfinders full-time

Pros

atmosphere at work 6 weeks training

Cons

work/life balance - Working most of the weekends and long hours salary

Merci for the feedback

6. "Best Travel Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people you work with are amazing, the earning potential is really good, the travel perks are brilliant and there are opportunities for promotion and to work in different departments. I've worked for several really great managers who have helped me develop my career and the company cares about staff, not just in the good times but especially over the last six months. My friends in the industry working for other companies have all been made redundant but I've felt supported and reassured that the company values me.

Cons

It's hard work and the company expects a lot of you but the rewards are worth it.

Trailfinders Response

Thanks for taking the time to post!

7. "AWFUL"

1.0
    Former Employee - Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Trailfinders full-time for more than a year

Pros

good travel experiences and people

Cons

too many to list, how long have I got?

Trailfinders Response

Thanks for the post and I agree that the travel perks and the people are great. I can't address the rest of your post without more detail which is a shame as we want to act on constructive feedback whenever possible.

8. COVID-19

"Amazing company"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for less than a year

Pros

I joined Trailfinders from another travel company earlier this year and I couldn’t be happier. Throughout the whole covid-19 situation, Trailfinders have supported me and kept me informed of every step regarding returning to work, and the new protocols in place. The salary is higher than other travel companies, and the travel allowance and perks are amazing! The hours are long, however I was informed of this in the interview process.

Cons

Uniform could be more fitted.

Trailfinders Response

Short and sweet..... thanks!

9. COVID-19

"A company that cares"

Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant in City of London, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been in the travel industry for over 15 years and Trailfinders are, by far, the best employer within this sector. Apart from the excellent pay, free lunches, travel opportunities and resources, the company has really shone for me on a personal note. During the corona pandemic they fully supported my need to be furloughed to shield my Mother who I live with and is high risk. I am returning to work on Monday from home, and once again this has been managed quickly and without any hesitation. I really recommend Trailfinders as an employer, I feel valued, supported and respected. If you are passionate about travel and a hard worker I really don't think you could work for better.

Cons

You will be required to work weekends and bank holidays, however these are distributed fairly and Travel is an industry which always has an element of unsociable hours.

Trailfinders Response

Many thanks for the post; we really have worked hard to look after all of the team during this challenging year so I'm pleased that's how you've felt.

10. COVID-19

"Ups and downs"

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time

Pros

Easily the best reason to work here are the friends you make - for the most part, everyone has so much in common and spending so much time with each other means you form nice friendships. Training is good when you start, sets you up well for the job and is detailed. Free lunches and uniform. Clear progression and opportunity to move to other departments if willing to move. Transparent process for promotion and a lot of support if you want to do well. Salary is good however it needs to be given the amount of hours you do and extra work. There is the chance to make good commission in certain stores and departments but targets at the moment feel way off. No forced furlough.

Cons

Annual leave which I can see is a running theme of reviews. Thankfully the ridiculously long embargo period that was in place for a while has gone but that really annoyed a lot of staff. This covid situation has been so stressful and it’s grwat that we have done so well by the clients and come out with good reviews, but morale at the moment is low. In my shop people are still worried about their jobs and the long term affect. The shop used to be a real positive place but feels deflated now. Long hours and short lunch break - this has always been the way and you know before you start, but even when it is quiet some management can be on you to be doing something every second of the day. General response to covid has been lacking - goal posts and rules moved constantly, incentives to go against the government advice, and lack of understanding for personal issues.

Trailfinders Response

It certainly has been a challenging 4 months and the whole team have done a brilliant job. We have tried to offer people choices wherever possible with options such as furlough, with reducing staffing a last resort. And we have continued to recruit for our new travel centres including Solihull opening next week. And remember you are welcome to contact Personnel in confidence if you need any additional advice or support.

Found 236 reviews