Trailfinders Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.4
Trailfinders CEO Toby Kelly
Toby Kelly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent opportunities to travel" (in 30 reviews)

• "Amazing travel perks (dedicated staff travel department)" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very hard maintaining a work life balance, as you can work any day of the week" (in 28 reviews)

• "Fairly long hours, but that is all explained in full before you sign up" (in 37 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in Bath, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in Bath, England (UK)

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Trailfinders is a great company to work for, and one of the standout employers in the travel industry. The salary is substantial (especially with bonuses factored in), the opportunity to travel excellent, and you get to work with a great bunch of like minded people. They only promote from within so the potential for promotion and advancement is high. The atmosphere amongst staff is top notch, and there are plenty of opportunities to travel whilst working here. I've worked for Trailfinders for more than ten years, and genuinely look forward to going to work each day. No one day is the same, and I've had plenty of opportunities to try new roles and work in different locations over the years. Trailfinders invests heavily in its staff, and with a great training programme and local support network there's no reason not to succeed in a career here.

Cons

The hours can be long, and sometimes unsociable, but hey that's retail for you. The directors have recently made big improvements to flexibility in the working roster following feedback from staff, and I can think of very few downsides to working for this great company.

Trailfinders Response

4 Oct 2018

Thanks for your input; great to hear that the recent roster improvements are benefiting consultants.

2. "Professional Athlete"

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time

Pros

Good employee atmosphere, hard working

Cons

Inflexibility and un willing to change

3. "Trailfinders Review"

Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in Saint Albans, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in Saint Albans, England (UK)

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Trailfinders are a good company to work for. The training is extensive, operating a 5 week program in London preparing you for life in the shop. When in shop the training continues on a one-on-one basis for the first 1-2 weeks which eases you in and then there are always people on hand to ask for help and a dedicated helpline for consultants. The opportunity to work with like-minded people is great, and being able to arrange amazing trips for clients who appreciate your work is very rewarding. Progression within the company is possible with your salary increasing based on performance which is achievable. The bonuses are very good and the targets are realistic. There are lots of opportunities to travel, be it on work trips or your own trips and there is a dedicated staff travel department who secure fantastic deals all around the world.

Cons

The cons are that you have to wear a uniform, but atleast you don't have to worry about what to wear. The hours are quite long and every few months your late shifts are until 8pm. Also working weekends can have an impact on your social life.

4. "world wide consultant"

Current Employee - Worldwide Travel Consultant in Saint Albans, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Worldwide Travel Consultant in Saint Albans, England (UK)

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Trailfinders has a great ethos of work hard play hard. If you work hard you are rewarded with the opportunities to go on fantastic trips around the world. It is therefore very much a company that you get out whatever you put into it! The other thing I love about working for Trailfinders is that it has a very flat hierarchical structure and therefore it never feels like a 'them and us' situation, the office operates an open plan environment which means in some circumstances your manager may actually be sat next to you which is always great as they are on hand to help when needed.

Cons

The cons of working for Trailfinders is that at times it is hard to try and get days off and switch these with other colleagues as they look at the numbers on a regional basis instead of office to office circumstance but they always do everything they can to assist wherever possible and in the case of myself have always managed to my my leave dates work.

5. "Trailfinders working life"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The many opportunities given to progress within the company.
    Good staff deals to travel to various parts of the world
    Others staff benefits such as a free food at lunch times, a paid lunch break
    The chance to work with other like minded people who all love to travel the world

Cons

A small thing but the uniforms are not the best although that is being reviewed and a new one is being provided.

Advice to Management

Please be aware that although what we do is sell holidays and therefore sales staff are a priority don't forget the many number of staff who are non sales who contribute a great deal to the success of the company whilst working in the background.

6. "Worldwide Travel Consultant"

Current Employee - Worldwide Travel Consultant in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Worldwide Travel Consultant in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What I like most about Trailfinders, is that if you are committed, you will be rewarded. With great bonuses to be made if your focused and amazing worldwide educational trips to be sent on. I have been fortunate to have been on three within my time here at Trailfinders and I can say, they are definitely worth the hard-work!

The salary is competitive, and probably one of the best in the industry so nothing to be sniffed at. Promotions are very achievable and there is always something to work towards. Guidance is offered at every step of your career, and the ability to expand your travel knowledge is second to none.

It is very much a team based environment and its nice to work with people who also have a passion for travel, however be prepared for your bucket list to grow!

Cons

The work life balance can be a struggle. The hours are long and can be unsocial with weekends, late evenings and bank holidays etc. Annual leave allowance is good, however booking the time off can be difficult to organise and sometimes having to rely on fellow colleagues to switch a shift can be challenging.

The downside to being in a sales/target orientated job is that it can get stressful with the pressure to perform to a certain level so you have to learn how to manage it. However, this will be the same with many sales jobs out there and if your prepared to work hard then you shouldn't have to worry about this.

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Worldwide Travel Consultant
    Current Employee - Worldwide Travel Consultant

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The support during the five weeks of training is fantastic. There is so much information to take in with systems etc but give it a few months once the emotional rollercoaster is over it's very enjoyable.

I have a fantastic team led by a brilliant manager which has helped massively.

The pay is good, progression can be quick and if you hit targets (which are realistic) then the commission is great.

There is regular and constructive feedback and at the end of the day, you might be slightly frazzled but you've been able to speak about travel for a living which isn't a bad thing and the days go by quickly!

Lunches are free - no prep the night before and teas and coffees are free throughout the day.

I haven't been on a trip yet but will hopefully be going away in the next few months - there are great offers and discounts to take advantage once you're settled.

Cons

Work/Life balance is difficult. 1 weekend off every 3 or 4 and inbetween a random Tuesday and Thursday etc.

The first few months in store are seriously tough - be strong, ride it out, it gets better and very enjoyable !

Current mens trousers are awful but I'm aware the new stuff should be out in May !

"So far so good!"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary is good for the industry and paid overtime and lunch provided are all nice touches. The training and support given to new starters is great and I truly feel that they care about investing in the staff. The staff retention is very good which fills me with confidence. The fact that senior positions are only advertised internally makes for good career opportunities. Discounts on travel and educational trips are another perk which you can take advantage of once you have worked there more than six months.

Cons

The uniform is a bit dated, although I believe they’re introducing a new one. Getting time off is quite complicated and you have to jump through a lot of hoops, for example you cannot book a single days annual leave more than 8 weeks in advance even if it’s for a special occasion such as a wedding.

Advice to Management

Look at the holiday booking system - why not allow people to book single days off and odd weekends - it seems silly to only be able to book Monday - Friday week blocks off.

Trailfinders Response

25 Mar 2019

Thanks for the post and it's great to hear your experiences have been so positive.

An updated uniform is on it's way so watch this space and there have been some recent enhancements to improve the... More

9. "Great opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Staff perks are great! Staff travel deals, familiar and educational trips are always something that is offered to you if you are hitting your targets and working hard. Lunch is provided and also break is paid.
    Social atmosphere and attitude is great and positive.
    Opportunities to try out new stores from 6 to 12 months and bonuses that come with the secondment.

Cons

Long weekend shifts- The importance of being open on a weekend is clear yet the shift patterns seem long. I can only comment on this store in particular , but being open until a 6 on a Sunday seems unnecessary when everything is closed around us and very rarely do we get business later in the day.
    The uniform, it is a great way to keep consistency across the company - yet the styles are limited. This is something that is being worked on, but maybe a few choices would be great.
    Taking holiday - The holiday allowance is fantastic , yet taking it can be difficult. single days leave and getting multiple weeks in a row off can prove hard to get.

Advice to Management

Currently uniform is being addressed, but It is definitely something we could do with more choice in.
    When applying for new roles, try not to base all the application process on figures, I understand it helps whittle down numbers , but maybe make it a little more human.

10. "Find your Travel Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time

Pros

I work in travel because I love travelling, working for Trailfinders give me access to this, almost forcing me to travel to improve my knowledge. Good salary as you move through the grades, excellent training and support. A company will real values in this dot.com world, cares about its clients

Cons

Fairly long hours, but that is all explained in full before you sign up!

Advice to Management

Very positive messages at what is a challenging time for any UK business