TransferWise Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.6
TransferWise CEO Kristo Käärman
Kristo Käärman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Positive and inspiring work environment" (in 22 reviews)

• "amazing company with great people" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Autonomous teams can be confusing" (in 14 reviews)

• "Some growing pains like limited office space, but everyone is making the best out of it until the office is expanded" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love working at TransferWise"

Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England (UK)

I have been working at TransferWise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great working environment, strong corporate culture and super smart and passionate people
    - Very strong mission and customer focus
    - I am a happy customer myself, which makes working here even better
    - Super exciting hyper-growth, a lot of new people joining all the time
    - I definitely develop and I get all the support I need
    - TransferWise encourages business travel to other offices

Cons

- Some growing pains like limited office space, but everyone is making the best out of it until the office is expanded
    - Autonomous teams aren't always the best way to work, some leadership would to good

Advice to Management

Some more leadership would be great and help a lot of teams

2. "Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Tallinn (Estonia)
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Tallinn (Estonia)

I have been working at TransferWise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am constantly amazed by how nice it is to work for TransferWise. They really believe in treating their employees with respect and dignity--for instance we get 28 paid holiday days a year, and it is strongly encouraged that we take a 2 week consecutive break and also a 1 week break. They have cereal and porridge and fruit every single morning for free to eat. If you work the night shift they pay for a taxi, both ways. It's a super fast growing company, and they want you to grow alongside it. The only way you can get stuck in a role is if you don't take initiative to grow. I am really impressed with working here. Plus it is a dog friendly office, so if you get too overwhelmed there's always a sweet puppy to go snuggle for a few minutes!

Cons

Open floor plan, no cubicles, so it gets quite loud when there are a lot of people on the phones. It can be quite daunting having a horizontal structure to the company-- so as a newbie it is kind of hard to know exactly what to do when, but that lack of structure is also very liberating once you get used to it. we're also open 24/7 so you do have to work nights and weekends on occasion, and the schedules change on a monthly basis which is kind of a pro and a con because if you have shifts you don't like it changes quickly but in the same vein it's hard to get a set schedule.

Advice to Management

It's all very daunting when you start, so even just having set amounts of things to have accomplished by a certain time would be nice. The freedom we get here is amazing, but as a newbie it is easy to become overwhelmed and not really know where to go/what to do when. I'm getting there though!

3. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Global Events Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Global Events Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at TransferWise full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues are absolutely wonderful. There are so many smart and creative people together. I am inspired by them and what they do every day.
    If you are open to learning there are so many things to learn. You just need to see where you can help and do it. I enjoy choosing my own new challenges and working in an open and honest environment.
    I love it that even though I have been here for 5 years the company still feels like a startup to work in. We are just a bit better structured in many ways. The feeling is still there.

Cons

While I enjoy autonomous teams and working this way, it is not for everyone. I would suggest thinking about this when applying for a job and trying to find out if this environment is one where you can thrive.
    There is a lot of information to learn and it may not be as straightforward as a new joiner may expect. We are definitely getting better at it and have made massive steps forward.

4. "Feels like home"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Tallinn (Estonia)
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Tallinn (Estonia)

I have been working at TransferWise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very people oriented company. Both for its employees and its customers. The values of the company are there not only on paper.
    People are driven to work good because they are being taken good care of: starting with on-boarding process, mentoring system, team-events, free snacks and great coffee, as well as comfortable work environment and freedom .
    The "autonomous teams" working style was very new to me, but it allows for a quicker problem solving and development.

Cons

The "autonomous teams" has its downfalls too - mainly the communication between teams during different projects. Mistakes happen when 2 teams are working on similar issues and solutions end up clashing and creating more issues. That will get resolved of course.
    The personal development is seen more in a movement between teams rather that up-scaling your positions.

Advice to Management

I am still a newby so everything seems pink and fluffy to me. Maybe a bit more info on personal growth and professional development would be great.

5. "An exciting and rewarding place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at TransferWise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Mission-driven culture with all of us wanting to make a difference
    - Autonomy to add value across the business
    - Strong wellbeing focus
    - Creative office spaces

Cons

- It's such a shift from other more conventional working environments that the initial weeks can be tough, but there's plenty of support provided and we all go through it so hang in there and enjoy the ride! Besides, who wants to be conventional? :)

6. "One of the best employers in Estonia."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallinn (Estonia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallinn (Estonia)

I have been working at TransferWise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Nice work environment. Flexible working hours. Sporting benefits. Lots of different trainings. Dogs in the office. Can work from home. Lost of career opportunities.

Cons

Didn't find any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep rocking with a great work!

7. "Operations"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

A lot of challenges, friendly people and company with mission.

Cons

It can be quite hectic, so definitely not for people who always want to have everything written down in a procedure or have specific guidelines.

8. "Interesting people, interesting environment, interesting work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

Things are really getting heated up in the APAC region, on ops side there's a lot to do and also a lot of ongoing developments for those who have the capacity and curiosity to dig deeper and contribute ideas. I think it's a good time to join the revolution in 2019 just because of the pace of the company now.

Cons

You need to really know that you enjoy ops work, come with an open mind and share extensively! We are not a start up anymore - 1500+ people.... there are some things we need to do to grow proportionately, not quite the small start up and not quite the big MNC. It's up to you to figure if you'll be a good fit too

9. "Love my company!"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great culture
    - exceptionally smart yet humble people to learn from
    - ability to make your own decisions and own it
    - freedom to work from home (but of course don't abuse it)
    - many growth opportunities

Cons

- team can be in a separate country so miscommunication happens at times

10. "If you are looking for something different, try TW"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TW has an amazing culture. Things are dynamic and move really fast; if you can keep up, you'll be in for a really nice ride. It's a place where you can get things done - whether it's through feedback or your own initiative (the flat structure and autonomy here allows that). Apart from work, there are many staff benefits (free meals) and countless opportunities to mix around with the great people here.

Cons

Not much. If you like formal clothes, you will be sorely disappointed at the sartorial sensibilities here. Actually, I maybe will add that the compensation package here is probably not the most generous.