TransferWise Software Developer Reviews

Updated 5 Sep 2020

4.4
TransferWise CEO Kristo Käärman
Kristo Käärman
  1. "Great company to work for"

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Tallinn

I worked at TransferWise for less than a year

Pros

Really liked my time there. Been recommending it to people ever since.

Cons

Cannot really think of one.

"Full of people pretending to be nice"

1.0
    Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

- TransferWise employees get to travel a lot. - Free lunch on Friday

Cons

- Full of people who are nice to your face but care about the company more than you. - Their technical stack is very old. With the goal of every piece of work that is done to make some money it’s left their products in a terrible position as there is no attempt to pay off technical debt. The load speed of some their web pages on mobile are what you’d expect to see from someone who has just started web development and has no idea what they’re doing. - Lots of the sites logic is stuck in templates - The tech leads are completely evangelical about outdated principles from books way out of date.

Continue reading

3. "Awesome Place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flat Structure, Making an actual change, Awesome Team

Cons

Can't think of any at the moment.

4. "Great culture!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

I absolutely love it here. People are generally helpful, the culture is great, there's a lot of transparency and trust and opportunities to grow even beyond your area of core competence. 💯 Would recommend!

Cons

Not a major one, but I think pay could be better. But then transparency and consistency with pay ranges has it pros. Unlike where I worked before, you'd rarely find people talking about being unfairly paid compared to some other person on the same level. That removes a lot of bad blood

Continue reading
  5. "Transparent, Amazing and Scaling"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tallinn

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

- Autonomous - Helps each team grow and learn on their own - Transparent - It's absolutely amazing to know how transparent a company can be. They even publish financial stats as a startup even when they are obliged to!! That's how transparent a company can get!!! - Growth - With the company handling scale to a great extent, it is an amazing opportunity to grow as an engineer and be a part of a fast paced environment

Cons

Not much to be honest. If I had to just nitpick, I would say, scale has taken a very big time thus derailing a dozen of new features to be released. That being said, quality is still the highest priority. It's between getting 1 thing correct vs many things OK.

6. "Ambitious team and fun challenges"

I have been working at TransferWise part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Exciting work Great team Lots of opportunities for personal development Not much bureaucracy

Cons

A lack of strong leadership

7. "Good for selfimprovement"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Self-development, smart people around, independence

Cons

Management, absence of clear success measurement for teams

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - IOS Developer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's been a great and supportive place to work, full of smart people all working towards the same goals.

Cons

The freedom can be overwhelming when joining, but making sure you ask plenty of questions, and build connections helps a lot

"5 out of 5 if you're looking to join a fintech company"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Given that most people visiting here would be considering job opportunities, or even job offers from TransferWise, let me just make it clear: this is a company that you won't regret joining, if you're confident, independent-thinking, self-motivated and driven by doing the right things while learning from others, then this is the place. It's not without shortcomings, far from it, but compared to most companies, it is a unique place wherever you're in your career. But make sure you're prepared for a tough but fun ride with a lot of people that you'd like to work together, that is if you're acclimated to the culture. There are so many pros but for a software developer (engineer), let me just tell you some facts and you can be your own judge: - It is very product engineering driven; we're talking about many engineers not only knowing their trade well (good programmers) but also caring and having deep knowledge about the products. It is also reflected in the interview process where there is a round of interview with a product manager for all the engineering candidates. - The culture feels the same when it is >400 engineers now, as when it was <100 engineers 2 years ago. Some companies would have simply met their final destination before hitting that number, and others would have different cultures that are so far from the original. Not at TransferWise. - There are so many friendly and collaborative fellow engineers, who would not hesitate to help if asked. Obviously not everybody is like that but the majority are very much so. The reason? Most of us share the same understanding of why we work at TransferWise and how we can achieve our mission, and being a humble contributor seems to be just the cure. - In terms of tech leads, IMHO it is a highly selective group of people and the bar has been held high so far. I'll say a bit more on the cons side below but the pros side is that this makes sure we have the consistency which is key to preserve and evolve the culture. Most if not all the leads are solid developers, and more or less experienced in people management too. - Oh, did I mention that Kristo, the CEO, was/is a programmer? That's not just some stories PR would like to tell you - I've reviewed his code and he cares about engineering. Nowadays he doesn't voice his opinions on engineering any more, perhaps conscious of the weight his opinions may carry; but you can rarely find another unicorn CEO having the same profile. Compensation-wise, everybody owns part of the company no matter how small (or big for some people) it is.

Cons

Let me say this first: every company has room to improvement, TransferWise no exception. I've always been keeping a critical eye on things because I care about the company. The scale and field TransferWise is operating on is very different from another company, so the problem we're facing sometimes exposes our shortcomings. In engineering, - Tech leads are very overloaded. From the start, the requirement is that they have to be good at both engineering and people management (as we don't have engineering manager setup like some other tech companies), as well as understand how TransferWise works. Any one of those would be a big ask, let alone three. I personally would start introducing engineering manager (people manager) in the structure. Recent career map on new IC levels also paves way for some leads who may not want to pursue a people management career to stay on the technical track. - Speaking of career, it's hard to see us offering a lot. When we were small, it's all about having the impact, not your title/level; Now we're relatively big, still with the very flat structure in engineering, there isn't much for a promising engineer to go up to, other than being a tech lead, which as I mentioned above, is pretty overloaded/overworked. Hopefully the new levels would help a bit but we may need to change something more drastically to improve that. - Diversity: not that we don't care (at least I care deeply), it's tricky to make start on this when you have an all-male and sometimes all-white interview line-up. There are some good initiatives but we can definitely do more at intern/graduate/experience levels. - Communication: it has improved greatly over time but still room for more. It's difficult given our global presence but I'm confident we'll do better. - Compensation: no bonus or performance related pay is fine when the company is small, as stock options is doing the job; as we grow, stock options may become less relevant and to attract talents who may have a preference on cash over options, this is something we should consider.

Continue reading
  10. "Passionate and mission driven company"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very mission driven, throughout the company - Autonomous teams - Growth opportunities - Data driven

Cons

- Autonomous teams means that often you need to "lobby" with other teams to get things done.

Found 56 reviews