TransferWise "autonomous teams" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

TransferWise Employee Reviews about "autonomous teams"

Updated 14 Feb 2020

4.5
TransferWise CEO Kristo Käärman
Kristo Käärman
Pros
  • "Fast paced work environment teaches skills that may otherwise take much longer(in 47 reviews)

• "Great people that you get to work with(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Communication overhead due to autonomous teams(in 26 reviews)

• "Cross-team efforts are not so easy to coordinate as all teams are autonomous(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "autonomous teams"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "A scale-up with the soul of a startup"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tallinn

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Great culture - Relatable mission - Lots of autonomy (both a pro and a con) - Better life/work balance than most fintechs

Cons

Autonomous teams and mostly flat org means your opportunities to grow are limited - if you're looking for a career ladder you can climb, you're looking at the wrong place. Also, coordinating between teams can be difficult because there's little leadership to steer teams in the same direction. The end result is that most decisions are reactive - something that could have been sorted months before will only see proper action when they become minor crises.

TransferWise2020-02-13
  2. "Great People!"

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Tallinn

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people around you are amazing. You have freedom to do whatever you feel like has the most impact for the customers. Endless possibilities to grow.

Cons

Autonomous teams can cause lack of knowledge what other teams are building.

TransferWise2020-02-14
  3. "Amazing culture and work enviroment"

Current Employee - Product Analyst in Tallinn

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Transferwise is really committed to making the values work on the day to day. This means when they say autonomous teams, they really mean it, you have an amount of responsibility which is surreal (comparing to other companies) and this can be quite scary but also a great development opportunity. Apart from that, the culture is amazing, the growth is very high and the C-Level (if we can even call it that) is super down to earth.

Cons

With the autonomous teams, there also comes a few challenges such as structuring the teams, making operational teams efficient and aligning everyone. I feel it's not bad but of course could improve on these points. The one thing I feel could improve is career progression clarity. Since I got here it's been very confusing in terms of what the salary brackets are, when to trigger these promotions and what I should be aiming for, I've had to push quite a bit to get these answers and should be easier for people in my view.

TransferWise2020-02-03
  4. "Fantastic company to work for!"

Current Employee - Reward Specialist in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Autonomous teams; means you can get stuff done, quick! Quarterly planning ; so you know what is happening and kept up to speed Fantastic benefits - work from home, flexible working, events, lunch, travel! Growise every 6 months to make sure your career is moving in the direction you wish. Intelligent, warm and friendly people to work with

Cons

I've been here for 6 months and have enjoyed everything about working here.

TransferWise2020-01-13
  5. "Excellent learning environment"

Former Employee - Public Relations in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at TransferWise part-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart co-workers Helpful atmosphere Thoughtful, inclusive team

Cons

Lack of direction at times as they believe in 'autonomous teams' and self-starters People can work in silos

TransferWise2019-12-18

"Great benefits and autonomous Teams"

Current Employee - Full Stack Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Visionary and inspirational CEO. Lots of flexibility and trust. Great community and awesome perks. Surrounded by smart and talented people.

Cons

Salary is below market rate but the benefits and stock options make it a good option Autonomous teams can leave me feeling like there's a lack of structure and support

TransferWise2019-09-25

"Definitely not a startup, good product , average engineering - suitable for less senior people"

Current Employee - Senior Product Engineer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Good location and offices - Relaxed environment (sometimes too relaxed) - Breakfast and other in office perks + weekly lunch. - Not so much pressure or reasonable pressure. (this leads though to a big percent of people to actually slack) - Strong product, the basic idea (the founding idea) is still driving the company that's why is a one of the dominant players on the sector of money transfer. - The company is making money, despite the previous rounds of funding is showing profits and this is making its strategic position even stronger.

Cons

- Not a startup, it feels like a mini bank in terms of prospects of work for any engineer. - The idea of autonomous teams is close to a joke, practically very few people internally believe in this, actually now is a problem. The amount spent to coordinate or create something is increasing - so the company feels like a slow moving traditional fin org. - No strong management for the engineering teams - the flat structure of Leads and Engineers is not working any more. - Territorial teams (not all of them but most of them), many of the early engineers of the company which in market standards would really find it difficult to find a job on the market - create a very defensive culture. - A large percent of the engineers are being credited titles that do not correspond to their actual skills. Senior engineers with real experience of what it could be best as Mid. - Extremely political, need to watch and avoid conflict with older and more senior engineers / leads. The engineering know how sometimes is based on hear say or people posting on slack random articles to prove their point (sign of inexperience) - Due to this chaotic sometimes way of working it is very common that some of the teams actually work more than others, but they are not been credited for it, again there is no good management.

TransferWise2019-09-19
  8. "The best company in Estonia to work for!"

Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in Tallinn

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great career opportunities if you are hard working and can find your own path. Amazing work environment - everybody in the team is customer focused and people are always up for collaboration in order to make the customers lives easier. Stock options - A great way for employees to be invested in the company. Autonomous teams - It's kind of a double edged sword. When the team lead is good at their job the autonomous team is a super efficient way to work, but unfortunately due to our amazing growth some teams are unorganized due to the autonomous teams and could use a better lead. You can bring your pet to work!

Cons

The salary is still not the best when compared to the market, e.g in banking. Especially when taking into account the average salary rise within the last year and the consumer price index. Sometimes it does feel like older employees get better benefits for the same job. E.g better salaries, oldies protect each other and new positions are given to older employees even when someone else could be a better fit. More assistance could be offered to team members by the team leads in order to find the career path they are interested in. Not everybody can build their own path 100% and it's completely fine :) But these are just small things to improve on and overall the pros outweigh the cons massively.

TransferWise2019-09-25

"Great, but not the cup of tea for everyone"

Current Employee - KYC Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome medical benefits, tight knit work culture, indepence to make your own decisions and path, yearly travel for all positions, free lunch and office foods, dog friendly, great office location with lots of after work life, super work life balance. If you can handle a bit of chaos and misorganization, you will really thrive here, especially if you are a young professional or just out of school.

Cons

Because of the "autonomous teams" concept, there is a lot of inconsistency between teams on internal processes.. "well, that's how that team does it, but we do it THIS way", it provides an inconsistent experience for customers and employees. There is a pay cap after a certain amount of time working here. You are not rewarded for side projects or extra responsibilities, you will get paid the same as another person on your team with zero side projects. The pay is lower than the market average. There is absolutely no overarching framework for handling performance or team issues. There is no office wide QA system or preformance methods, basically youre at the mercy of what the leads determine is important for your team. There are no checks on how leads operate and it feels like there is no one to go to with those concerns. People get fired, and people get afraid. There is no way to know what steps were taken to make that firing decision because it can vary so wildly from lead to lead. I understand that it's a "right to work" state, but there should be some foundation laid down by HR, something like a verbal warning, written warning, improvement plan, then firing if all else fails unless it is some UNFORGIVABLE offense.

TransferWise2019-09-20

"Great company with loads of opportunities"

Current Employee - Verification Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

I’ve worked for TransferWise for a year and so far my experience has been amazing. The people who come here from other corporate jobs know how lucky they are to have found TransferWise. It’s unlike any other company in the Tampa area. The office is beautiful and there are plenty of drinks, snacks, and coffee provided daily. We have weekly team lunches on Thursdays. You can bring your dog to work any time you like. It’s just a really cool place to come to everyday. We have the flexibility to work from home but many people enjoy coming into the office because it really does have a good vibe to it. We just enjoy being around each other. The benefits are amazing. Lots of PTO, company stock, 401k, sick time off, and on and on. They really do take care of you and the out of pocket costs are minimal as compared to the benefits I’ve had from other jobs. There is a lot of opportunity for growth if you want it. People who are driven and self-motivated will succeed. If you need a lot of hand-holding - or being told what to do - this is probably not the place for you. Leads will help point you in the right direction to help you achieve your goals, and if you work hard you can be promoted pretty quickly. There’s flexibility to create your own role. The company is growing fast so new positions are popping up all the time.

Cons

There is a lot of competition for roles, and many roles are filled externally rather than hiring from within. There is a need for better training of associates who wish to develop their skills and talents. There seems to be a lot more travel opportunities for the foreign offices and not so much for Tampa unless you are a lead. Even then there isn’t much travel. More often it’s that’s people from the other offices are visiting us. Autonomous teams means that communication between product and operational teams is strained. It’s getting a lot better and everyone agrees we can work on this, but there is still a bit of a divide. Pay is not great. It’s hard to get top talent if you aren’t willing to pay for it.

TransferWise2019-07-17

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 36 reviews