Travel Counsellors Reviews

Steve Byrne
  1. "Life changer"

Current Employee - Business Owner in Derby, England

I have been working at Travel Counsellors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a travel business owner the freedom to work around my lifestyle was and is crucial for me especially with a family of 3 kids. That's not to say I dont work hard or put the hours in because I do. You get out what you put in. The head office is support is second to none. Seems a bit of a cliche at times saying that they are always there for you etc but genuinely they are! Having a 24/7 Duty Office in case of any out of working hours issues is very reassuring. Only used it a couple of times but having this for me and my clients is really beneficial, UK number as well! Amazing annual conferences each year that seem to get better year on year. Also good to catch up for a local mini conference every year as well. Fantastic in house system for booking and tailoring holidays along with 1000s of supplier to use. I particularly like the suppliers we use who are based in the likes of Iceland, Africa, Asia etc who can really offer my clients something authentic and not off the shelf. Without doubt this has been made the best decision ever made in my working life. It felt a big risk at the time going self employed and taking that step but if you have a passion, a desire and a need to succeed you will do. My business has grown year on year and I have just passed 1m in sales after 3 years which from starting from scratch is a big milestone for me. I joined through the academy and found the training superb, along with the after support for us newbies.

Cons

In fairness I dont have any.

Travel Counsellors2019-12-16

December 24, 2019HR Advisor

Wow, what amazing feedback! We are delighted to hear that joining Travel Counsellors has been the best decision of your professional life and we're keen to keep the good experiences rolling - and a BIG congratulations from all your colleagues across the TC community for passing £1million in sales - what a brilliant achievement! We're working hard behind the scenes to ensure we don't lose our personal touch - something which has been the foundation of our success over the years - we're passionate about living out our values - Care, Human, Entrepreneurial and Impact - every day to make sure that we do the very best for you, your fellow TCs, our Support Teams and our communities. Keep up the great work and thank you for your feedback!

2. "Continually Improving"

Current Employee - Personal Travel Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Travel Counsellors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Travel Counsellors offer tons of support, guidance and training to franchise owners through face to face event, online coaching, 1:1 development calls and weekly TV shows from their own studio. The booking system is exceptional and continually evolving. Contracts and in turn pricing are getting better and better.

Cons

Commission split feels high but I think very much line with other home working companies and as long as you get a good service and support from head office you can see the worth.

Travel Counsellors2019-11-30

December 24, 2019HR Advisor

Thank you for the positive feedback and we're delighted to hear that you love the support we provide you and your fellow Travel Counsellors - our TV studio is a great asset and I hope you managed to catch up on the latest show, we had Steve and the team in their Christmas jumpers and even TC Santa made an appearance!

3. "Poor support, there are much better home-working options"

1.0
    Current Employee - Travel Counsellors in Manchester, England

I have been working at Travel Counsellors full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

* You can set your own hours.

Cons

* Head office support takes ages and is of exceptionally poor quality. * In addition to a monthly fee and 40% of your earnings they will also mark up everything that you book through their system. They are all about rinsing every last bit of profit out of you. * They have a franchise deal which means that they do not have to support you and will treat you as self employed, however they still make it exceptionally difficult to have any autonomy or control over your own business. * The company has grown so massively and without any control or direction. They are more interested in getting bodies in through the door than any form of quality. Profit, profit, profit.

Travel Counsellors2019-12-18

December 24, 2019HR Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to give us some valuable feedback about your experience here at Travel Counsellors and I'm sorry to hear that it's not all positive for you at the moment. We believe that we have a brilliant business that truly puts our people at the heart of everything we do and we're keen to hear more about your experience and would encourage you to contact us to share your feedback and discuss how we can service you better.

4. "I love working for TC!!"

Current Employee - IT Service Desk in Manchester, England

I have been working at Travel Counsellors full-time for more than a year

Pros

I honestly cannot talk about how much I love this company enough! The business itself is amazing with great core values but its the people that really make it a fantastic place to work. Everyone is so friendly and can't do enough for you, they are passionate at what they do and want to make this business better for everyone. The whole business is heavily involved in doing extra work for the companies chosen charities which is so great to see. Caring really is at the heart of the business. Personally, I have been given a lot of oppertunities to develop my skills with learning paths built around self-improvement instead of "This is what the business want", its all been about helping me be the best version of myself.

Cons

Personally, I dont have any cons, I love my job, the people I work with and the people I work for. As a business, I think it can tend to be a little outdated in their approach to certain things but there are so many project to change all of that so the business has recognised that it needs improvement and have implimented people into making these improvements.

Travel Counsellors2019-11-06

December 24, 2019HR Advisor

Thanks for such positive feedback about your colleague experience at Travel Counsellors. We're delighted that you feel so passionately about working for our special business and your feedback means a lot to us. We encourage all our colleagues to give regular and honest feedback as to how we can improve as we all want the very best for our Travel Counsellors, customers, colleagues and communities and over the course of 2020 you'll see how we plan to be even better!

5. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Internal Recruiter in Manchester, England

I have been working at Travel Counsellors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love my role, the flexibility that Travel Counsellors as a company offers me and the people i work with.

Cons

The traffic to the office can be a nightmare, not Travel Counsellors fault!

Travel Counsellors2019-10-31

December 24, 2019HR Advisor

We're delighted to hear that you love your role here at Travel Counsellors and the flexibility we offer for our people - which definitely is useful when hitting the M60 everyday! We're here to support you to be the best you can be in all aspects of your life and we're glad that the flexiblie helps you try to achieve that. We're glad that you love the people you work with too - they are all pretty awesome (as you are too!) Thanks for the feedback and please reach out to us if you wish to share anything else.

6. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Travel Counsellors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company is on a journey of improvement with the best intentions. Flexible working. Autonomy in many roles

Cons

Rewards and recognition can be lacking Teams can suffer from lack of direction from management Goalposts move too often which wastes time and energy Managers do not have defined KPIs

Travel Counsellors2019-10-22

December 24, 2019HR Advisor

Thanks for your open feedback about your colleague experience and as you say, we're on a journey of continuous improvement which will take us towards our goal of being the most loved travel company in the world. We're delighted to hear you enjoy the autonomy and flexibility in your role- this is something we're proud of championing across our special business. You'll be delighted to hear that we are rolling out a more structured approach to goal and objective setting in 2020 which will provide our people the clarity they may need in their roles - so watch this space! As always, we're keen to hear more about your views as they are important to us, so please do reach out to us with any further feedback.

7. "Freedom, valued, supported, unlimited earning potential, caring management, a family"

Current Employee - Business Owner

I have been working at Travel Counsellors full-time for more than a year

Pros

I left my former company self titled as 'the Travel Experts' and TC could not be more different. Being a TC means you are a self employed Travel Agent. This gives me the freedom to never miss anything with my family and friends, work from where I want but also feel very supported by the large team in Manchester. The earning potential (for the right person) is the Premier League of the travel industry.

Cons

If you're not service driven, TC is not for you.

Travel Counsellors2019-07-10

December 24, 2019HR Advisor

Thank you for such a glowing recommendation of our special business and as football fans, we have to say, the Premier League is the best in the business so we're delighted with the comparison. Let's keep up with being the best together!

8. "Great and ever improving"

Current Employee - IT Service Desk in Manchester, England

I have been working at Travel Counsellors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly environment Opportunity to make a difference Up to date Tech Access to vast amount of training Good relationships with 3rd parties Benefits ever improving Engaged leadership teams Empowered staff

Cons

Previously focus on development of TCs rather than head office staff Empowered to say yes, but sometimes not to say no Some staff are stuck in the Bolton days (old mindset), the business has moved on so much since then.

Travel Counsellors2019-06-27

December 24, 2019HR Advisor

We're delighted that you have the opportunity to make a difference at Travel Counsellors, that's what our business is all about - empowering our people to create a future without limits whilst improving the lives our customers, Travel Counsellors, colleagues and communities - and you play a big role in making that happen, so thank you! We're still evolving and building on some strong foundations to take our business to the next level with a clear focus on our colleague experience being the best in the business.

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Travel Counsellors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

For me the flexibility is one of the biggest benefits of working at Travel Counsellors. I'm trusted to work my hours, either from the office or home without having to tell anyone what time I'll be in in the morning! The atmosphere is very friendly - I've been here quite a few years now and it honestly doesn't feel like going to work everyday. Personally, I've had lots of great opportunities to develop and progress my career and have always felt supported and encouraged by my managers. There's a great focus on employee well being too.

Cons

The company is growing rapidly and works at a very fast pace which isn't for everyone. It's still very much going through a period of change, but things are constantly changing for the better. Can sometimes feel a little chaotic and it can be frustrating at times.

Travel Counsellors2019-05-24
  10. "Lots of benefits, but be prepared to be flexible"

Current Employee - Executive

I have been working at Travel Counsellors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very flexible working hours Feel empowered in my role Lots of opportunity for development & progression - if you are willing to progress and take the initiative, they back you Very friendly & helpful colleagues Lots of events and social activities (some organised by the company and some informal arranged by colleagues) Enjoyable work Great culture & values which everyone in the business aligns with

Cons

Direction can change quickly Work load can be heavy Different working hours/mindset within different teams - some of the flexibility i have in my role, colleagues in other departments don't, but they have other benefits that I don't (for example the ability to work over time) Pay could be higher, and payment for overtime or achieving targets could be more widespread

Travel Counsellors2019-05-24