TripAdvisor Director Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Stephen Kaufer

"Good role with upside"

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Largest player in the industry, data-driven business model, and opportunity for growth in company as it rebounds

Cons

Periodic strategy pivots that have significant downstream impacts

TripAdvisor2017-03-13

"Excellent company - values, goals, teamwork"

Former Employee - Director in Ewing, NJ

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with highly competent, high performing teams. Respectful working environment. Dynamic product development.

Cons

Challenging stretch goals, not necessarily a bad thing!

Advice to Management

I have a lot of respect for Steve Kaufer, I've learned a lot from him on how to lead and how to grow a mission into a solid company without losing the startup charm.

TripAdvisor2016-12-19

TripAdvisor Response

January 4, 2017Chief People Officer

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. We’re very proud of the culture and hardworking teams at TripAdvisor. Thank you for being a dedicated member of our team for the past several years,and for your review. We wish you the best of luck in your new opportunity. Beth Grous Chief ...

"Great company, needs focus"

Former Employee - Product Director

I worked at TripAdvisor

Pros

Great office environment, free lunch, pub, overall highly enthusiastic and smart coworkers. Management can be aloof, particularly in Marketing, and bit unfocused. But overall, it's a great company

Cons

see above for my comments

TripAdvisor2016-12-07

"Unique culture"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Waltham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast growing and expanding place to work. Lots of cool people and a great local brand. Well respected in the area and an industry leader

Cons

Lots of leadership has been in place for a long time and not really looking to change or innovate. Culturally it's easier to avoid problems than solve them Speed win mentality isn't always the right approach especially when taken out of context

Advice to Management

Be willing to listen to people that have different ideas and embrace the fact that as you grow and scale you need to evolve in order to continue succeeding

TripAdvisor2016-09-20
  5. "High growth company"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great benefits -Solid work/life balance -Good salary/bonus/stock -Free lunch and other perks

Cons

-Sometimes stressful (during deadlines, etc) -Headquarters technology isn't great for communicating with colleagues in other offices

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employee feedback---in all locations. Communicate how the company scales its values and processes with global growth--and really apply it to how we work in the day to day and the culture overall (in all offices). But overall, great co with a strong future.

TripAdvisor2014-02-03

"Never the same day twice; always a new challenge."

Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

TA employees are encouraged to get things done; speed wins. Our CEO acknowledges in moving quickly, we'll break s---t, but we'll fix it the next time around and be better for doing so. Everyone is smart, motivated, and wants to help each other. Lots of perks and it's clear that the executive team cares about its employees. Seems like a great place to grow your career, skills and earn a competitive salary doing so.

Cons

Poor internal tools and infrastructure to manage so many moving parts. While there are initiatives to improve this, it can be a bit frustrating to get on board and hit the ground running without spending time on things already asked and answered.

TripAdvisor2013-11-08

TripAdvisor Response

November 14, 2013Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

We're proud of our smart, motivated, and helpful employees---and agree that we offer excellent career development to grow your career (with competitive salaries and benefits!) We're also glad that you appreciate our fast-moving, speed-infused culture. We appreciate your feedback on ...

7. "A special company, product to be proud of, full of smart people"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Things get done fast. Despite being a public company, it's not short term, quarterly focused. They care for employees and a genuine care for the end user. Philanthropy is a big priority.

Cons

HR programs are not as innovative as peer companies. Big company symptoms are creeping in.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employees and encourage their ideas outside of the hierarchy

TripAdvisor2012-12-19

"Dishonest, degrading and abrasive management"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The company was better to work for when part of Expedia but there are few pros now. - If you like travel, it's a fun industry. - TripAdvisor tries really hard to recruit students and puts their best food forward for the summer interns with fun events and outings. It's a facade and it's not like that for the full time employees.

Cons

- Two thumbs down for senior management who runs the business in an unethical and abrasive manner - In reality, everyone, from junior to middle to senior management, is simply a puppet of the CEO - No focus on career development - Junior staff is cocky and is starting to mirror senior management's style of yelling and degrading others. These are kids who are 0-2 years out of school - Location. Newton?

Advice to Management

Stop pretending to be a small start up company who can move in a quick and agile way. Understand who we've become and where we're going. Also, if you want to hire talented engineers, why would you move further west from Newton? Probably because that's where senior management live. Expect a lot of attrition to happen when the office moves.

TripAdvisor2012-10-18
  9. "An opportunity to work with extraordinarily talented people in a flexible environment"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unlike their peer tech companies (Amazon, Google, Facebook...), TripAdvisor has the flexibility to allow people to move into new roles. If you don't like what you're doing, you can talk to folks and try out a new role. Engineers are regularly encouraged to rotate through other teams to get new perspectives and ways to work. In some cases, the movement is through to non-engineering departments. Again, unlike most places,...

Cons

It is a little intimidating to work with this many smart folks. You have to play at the top of your game. I would also prefer the office to be in a cooler location. Then again, we're outgrowing this space, so perhaps we will move.

Advice to Management

In some small elements, shift from a fast-follower to being perceived as thought leaders.

TripAdvisor2012-07-18

"A JOKE"

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- great benefits/perks - catered lunch - gives back to the community - smart people - awesome product

Cons

- HR team is a joke. talk about the most useless group in the company. if you tell your HR rep something be prepared for the entire company to know. The leaders of this group are the worst i have ever seen - Managers who can't manage. - Lead by fear and intimidation - Speed wins isn't real. Everything takes forever to get done.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people because you like them. Not everyone should be a manager or a leader. This was an amazing company years ago. Talk about going down the drain.

TripAdvisor2012-06-20