Tripadvisor Reviews

Stephen Kaufer

"Good Company"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall Trip was a good company to work for. Very employee and customer focused.

Cons

A little too disorganized at times.

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We’re glad that you enjoyed your experience as part of the Tripadvisor team.

2. "Great coworkers"

Former Employee - Senior Product Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people and work culture

Cons

HQ in the middle of nowhere

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide Tripadvisor your feedback!

3. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

Free Lunch, Nice Campus, Good Compensation

Cons

Slightly dated tech stack, location

"We believe in "transparency""

1.0
    Current Employee - Customer Success Representative in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Health Insurance, well being benefit reimbursement

Cons

“We believe in transparency” is one of their core value. This is what transparency means for Tripadvisor: Targets constantly changing and never explained to reps, people who have been working there for years still don’t know how their targets are calculated. I had 2 quarters where my target and pay-outs were not calculated correctly, still waiting for an answer and my money. Constantly changing and reshuffle of teams, people leaving or letting go without going through a proper process. The turnover is massive. Product is obsolete, no improvements or new products for the clients. Massively overpricing their products with no reason. Moreover, Hoteliers see their subscription price increased by 25% every year. In all the time I have worked there, what I saw is ambiguity. Nothing was clear or transparent. Be careful at some of the senior people there who are ready to do the trick in order to get a better bonus at your expenses. Zero jobs security. This company has gone through several massive workforce reductions over the last few years. Every year they close or reduce their business units letting people go. Their redundancy process is shocking. I have seen them treating people like garbage. Zero compassion towards their employers, letting go pregnant women and people on sick leave. During the last large cutting of staff Senior Management said everyone would take a 20% pay cut to help balance the books. After almost 1000 members of the staff were cut they reversed this decision and kept their salary at 100%. Nicely done. The company is going down. The CEO has no intention on investing to innovate, his priority is keeping the business running as a revenue machine as long as it lasts. Very old mind set and business structure from the Senior Management. Managers and Team Leader, please remember your working with humans, not numbers. Bye Bye Tripadvisor, hope you are going to really believe in transparency one day....

Continue reading

July 13, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. It is unfortunate your view has gotten to this point, but I will try to address a few items you have surfaced. It is worth highlighting that Tripadvisor, like many serving the hospitality sector, has seen an unprecedented impact to our business during this global pandemic. It came with great pains that we had to part ways with many on our team – and every option was evaluated prior to making these decisions. Through all of this, we have stood by our 6 Core Values, showing respect and transparency along the way. I realize going through challenging times like this can be difficult for many, but, Tripadvisor has always and will continue to support its employees and be a top company to work for. We believe we are Better Together. This has been seen at many points through this journey. Tripadvisor fully evaluated the situation we were facing prior to making the difficult decision to reduce our work force. Throughout the process, our priority was to be thoughtful to ensure we did what was best for all those involved. For any employee impacted, we supported them by providing them with internal job openings, sent them information on local recruiters, and opened access to the Tripadvisor Alumni Network. At every step, we wanted to ensure those that were affected had a smooth transition and options for the next step in their career. Transparency is also one of our core values that we leaned on heavily through this challenging time. If you would like to dive into these further, please let me know and I will clear my calendar to discuss. Please stay safe and healthy through these difficult times as we will come through this, as a team, ready to support the global travel industry. All the best, Sam.

5. COVID-19

"Phenomenal place to start my career"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Needham, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

You're surrounded by tons of really intelligent, hard-working coworkers. The culture is very focused on helping each other and working together, no toxic competition. Great perks at the office (free lunch, snacks, beer, games). Good compensation and raises. Flat organizational structure (although sometimes this means that promotions are less frequent).

Cons

Takes awhile to adopt new technology, seems like we were often a couple steps behind other companies in the industry. The 2020 COVID crisis hit Tripadvisor really hard, I was laid off because of it and a lot of fringe benefits (like the free lunch) were cut (perhaps only temporarily though) for the remaining employees. I do not blame Tripadvisor at all for that, and they handled it very well with good severance and outplacement help. However, it is something to keep in mind, as a business they are very exposed to world events that harm travel.

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As our company continues to grow, we are appreciative of comments that highlight our strengths as well as areas we can improve upon. We’re glad that you enjoyed your experience as part of the Tripadvisor team.

6. "Good company with an unsure future"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, good people, fun company to work for

Cons

The company is trying to move forward but at times the road forward and destination feel unclear.

7. COVID-19

"A wonderful Place to Work"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Boston, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

The people are always great, you will make lots of friends if you make yourself available. They are very big on employee experience and retention. There's always something going on and if you want to indulge a particular hobby there's probably a group or program for it.

Cons

Like many larger companies there's a certain level of bureaucracy you have to deal with. They're also having a tough time adjusting to larger competition in the field such as Google Travel. Travel industry is also obviously in a tough position overall due to the pandemic.

June 22, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It really is our employees that make Tripadvisor a great place to work, so hearing directly from employees about how their colleagues have supported and enriched their experience is always great news.

"Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Accounting Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Tripadvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly environment; engaged management team

Cons

rough neighborhood; expensive lunch options

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

"great people, confusing direction"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

the direction has felt lacking

July 1, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback!

10. COVID-19

"Great work environment, losing market share"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Needham, MA

I have been working at Tripadvisor full-time

Pros

Great people, impact is big, lots of interesting parts of the company

Cons

Losing market share, COVID-19 impact unknown so far

Found 712 reviews