Twitch Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Twitch Reviews

Updated 19 Mar 2020

3.5
Twitch CEO Emmett Shear (no image)
Emmett Shear
Pros
  • "We have great perks and benefits(in 20 reviews)

• "And the work/life balance is pretty good, people rarely work nights or weekends on my team at least(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Still some growing pains from being a growth focused startup to a more mature company(in 13 reviews)

• "Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes(in 8 reviews)

1. "Retro Game Broadcaster"

Current Employee - Retro Game Broadcaster in New Delhi

I have been working at Twitch part-time for less than a year

Pros

They instill a very positive and joyful atmosphere for their employees. It is a great place to be with like minded gamers.

Cons

There is a certain layer of restrictions and protocols being enforced on the team members, which can make one uncomfortable sometimes.

Twitch2016-07-13

"The emperor has no clothes."

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Twitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some genuinely smart and and honest people that work at Twitch that do their best to work around the nonsense created by overwhelming management incompetence coupled with controlling/micromanagement.

Cons

At Twitch leadership at is nothing more than cronyism. Its like watching the self abuse of the Republican Party - stroke the ego of your leader and you will do ok. Disagree with the Grand Emperor and get blacklisted and labeled a "untrustworthy." It is at that point that management begins to make it as uncomfortable as possible for the individual so there's no real choice but to leave (if you don't already want to). Individuals that get promoted are the ones with their lips firmly planted on the managers backside or have a bobble-head. "Values" have been weaponized for daily use to justify bad behavior by managers. Twitch Managers should actually read and attempt to invest in the values that get recited at every meeting like cult prayer. Maybe if managers lead through example the staff might not need to be "programed" through repetition. Positional authority is the only measure of how correct someone's opinion is within Twitch (regardless of the information provided). Leaders fly off the handle with "hunches" or "educated guesses" and then seek opinions that support their view (sound like a President you know?) Confirmation bias over real information is the order of the day at Twitch and if you are not on their wavelength you will not be on the team. Sad really.... but unfortunately is part of the game with "engineer thinking." Meaning, "I am smart about software so I therefore know everything." Grow up.

Twitch2020-03-20
  3. "d"

I worked at Twitch full-time

Pros

Great place, great work, great people

Cons

nothing that i can think of

Twitch2020-03-02
  4. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - IOS Engineer

I have been working at Twitch full-time for less than a year

Pros

Get to work on an awesome product. Great managers and coworkers. Get to work on industry leading tech with challenging problems. Good company culture.

Cons

Amazon does not pay as well as other big 5 tech companies, bureaucracy can slow things down.

Twitch2020-03-03
  5. "you'll learn a lot"

Current Employee - Legal Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work hard, much to digest, learn a lot, good pay and perks

Cons

stressful, good luck turning your brain off

Twitch2020-02-28

"Becoming a fail-upwards country club for un-diverse MBA grads"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Twitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Amazing free food -A handful of good people in lower-mid ranks -Beautiful office -You get to work on a product that's beloved

Cons

What made Twitch great was its mix of passionate, multitalented people from all walks of life, but the recent C-level hires are farce of country-club nepotism (for people of certain skin colors. Can you guess which?). Does Twitch not vet the reputations of any of their exec hires? The COO chain-migrated a bunch friends from Pandora. The chief HR officer is famous of bungling Buzzfeed's recent layoffs. A recent CMO came in, fired a bunch of beloved Twitch vets, and left. The new CRO's first order of business was to hire 3 men who look very demographically similar to himself, and he spends meetings variously bragging about his connections to other powerful conservative men who look a lot like himself, telling people that they shouldn't have low morale, and wondering aloud why so many of the departing veterans are so critical of him (it must be because they're whiners and haters! Where have I heard this attitude before? Ah yes, from the famously competent and moral cabinet of the current White House... seriously, it's becoming like that).

Twitch2020-02-21

"Good but not great"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

People who work here generally love the product. Great location in FiDi SF Relevant tech stack Good WLB

Cons

Compensation is tied to Amazon policies that can be uncompetitive for high performers

Twitch2020-01-15

"Worst Culture I've ever seen"

Current Employee - Product

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Free food/snacks Gaming culture if you are really into games Cool office

Cons

If you are engineers, you are well treated at twitch. If you are in product, be prepared with political coworkers/managers. Majority of decisions here are top down.

Twitch2020-01-26

"One of my favorite places to work!"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great product that overall has a lot of deeply passionate fans. TwitchCon is a blast - I LOVE my manager, and my manager's manager. Really enjoy working with my team over the past couple years. I have many close friends within the company now - I've learned a ton at the company and I get a lot of flexibility to pursue projects that are important to me (and add value to our team/company of course) - I can easily see it being a company I stick with for a long time (10 years)

Cons

- As with most places, work experience can vary by team - Collaboration within the company is a weak area. Everyone's trying to work hard on this but there have certainly been some growing pains - Compensation is a little too heavily indexed on Amazon Stock. Compensation adjustments due to raises or promotions largely come in stock grants which can take a couple years before you see that money - not the most immediately gratifying thing

Twitch2019-12-05
  10. "Amazing!"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in London, England

I have been working at Twitch full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Culture - Office Space - People The place is awesome, i have been working for twitch for 6 months and have loved every minute, there are a lot of opportunities to experience new things and to impact change within the business, its great.

Cons

None at present, keep up the great work.

Twitch2019-12-13