Twitch "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Twitch Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 23 Oct 2019

3.6
Twitch CEO Emmett Shear (no image)
Emmett Shear
Pros
  • "We have great perks and benefits(in 20 reviews)

• "And the work/life balance is pretty good, people rarely work nights or weekends on my team at least(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Still some growing pains from being a growth focused startup to a more mature company(in 13 reviews)

• "Because of mandates from upper management pushing a product or idea because they think it will drive minutes(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Don't join for data science"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Engineers are well-treated at Twitch. The perks are great; we're a little spoiled, frankly. In-house kitchen with hot food for breakfast/lunch/dinner, stocked mini-kitchens, gaming arcade, broadcasting rooms, Friday happy hour. The work-life balance is *chef's kiss*. The office generally populates by 11 am and people head out at 6. Amazon stock is a handy part of compensation.

Cons

Data scientists (different from analysts) have it the worst here. The interviews are rigorous, demanding knowledge of causal inference, statistics, experimentation, and modeling. If you accept the offer, they plonk you down and make you fix data quality issues and build dashboards for the next few years. It's utterly flabbergasting how much talent is over-hired and simply wasted at Twitch. This culture comes from decisions made by inexperienced management. Twitch is not data-driven in the slightest, as anyone who has worked in other companies will attest. Data science leaders at Twitch get hired from academia and tend to have no industry experience. This has led to several toxic manager-and-skip-level combinations. The career path for data scientists is non-existent, if not outright negative (managers have been demoted). If you pass the hiring bar, you certainly have the talent to get an offer from someplace that takes data science seriously. Run the other way, and don't look back. There is a reason that a dozen data science/analyst/engineer people (out of about 40 to start with) have left in recent months. Things are not getting better here, and opportunities are better elsewhere. For analysts: there are no analyst career paths here, either. There is no L7 analyst at Twitch. But at least they are explicitly matched to the work they are hired to do. Analysts are happier on average.

Twitch2019-10-24

"Very good tech company"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Twitch is my third gig in SF / SV and I have numerous other data points from others in my network. I'd say Twitch is top 10% at _least_ among established bay area tech companies. Pay's strong if not top of class, talent is great on eng and product, office and work/life balance great as well. Engineering brand isn't what it should be given the talent, but there's some reason for that: lack of CTO, open source contributions, tech marketing. Product brand is strong at least among gaming enthusiasts.

Cons

Like any other top tech company, people complain about the smallest things.

Twitch2018-10-12
  3. "Challenging, sustainable"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

- Challenging and fast-paced environment - Work-life balance, flexibility - Great food - Tight-knit company and fans

Cons

- Reorgs seem to be arbitrary

Twitch2018-10-13

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

- Best Culture of anywhere I've worked at. Our values mean something to everyone. - Control our own hours, work / life balance is pretty good - Management is bold and cares about employee happiness - Some very talented people work here and people love the company.

Cons

- Amazon integration is strange.. "Twitch Prime" is more Amazon than Twitch, so is commerce. They're physically located in Seattle with other Amazon teams and they report to someone who works for Amazon and not Twitch. The rest of the company is 100% Twitch and doesn't resemble Amazon at all. - Some long-time 5+ yr leaders are leaving

Twitch2018-10-03

"SO much still to do."

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

We've only scratched the surface of this esports phenomenon that's taking over the internet. Esports will be bigger than sports, and Twitch is the number one brand in that. Being part of that is awesome. As for actually working at Twitch - most people are smart and willing to help each other out. Office politics aren't really a thing as far as I can tell. If you work hard you'll be rewarded. I feel challenged, but not too much to be overworked. Good work-life balance.

Cons

There's a different perspective between new employees and people who have been at Twitch for a while. It could be a good thing with diverse perspectives paying off one another but sometimes it devolves into something more tribal.

Twitch2018-09-10

"It's not just fun and games."

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Like so many others, I joined Twitch for Twitch - it's fun, semi-famous people use it, and I love video games, so why not? I've found Twitch is so much more though. It wasn't long before I started to like Twitch for new reasons - intelligent, excited teammates, great technology, and a culture of invention. I've found most people at Twitch to be super helpful and willing to pitch in for one another. I've had several opportunities to raise my hand and suggest something to build, and see it actually get built. I'm paid enough, benefits are solid, great perks like breakfast lunch and dinner in our new office, and work-life balance is pretty good, at least on my team. No complaints.

Cons

Seems some teams get a lot harder than others around TwitchCon, so that could be a downside I guess.

Twitch2018-08-23

"Awesome workplace!"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Great new office, meals included, plus cookies. And the work/life balance is pretty good, people rarely work nights or weekends on my team at least.

Cons

Bigger company, less freedom. Comes with the territory.

Twitch2018-09-01

"Bigger and Better"

I have been working at Twitch full-time

Pros

Twitch used to be this scrappy little startup where everybody did everything, Emmett was friendly and available, and everything moved fast (or so some would have you believe). Then Twitch got bigger, acquired by Amazon, and a bunch of people got upset about it and started complaining about “big company” problems. At this point, we’ve got strong execs, enough structure and stability to enjoy a healthy work-life balance, and a cool website to play with. Life’s good here.

Cons

Only real cons are the complainers. They’re mostly on their way out.

Twitch2018-08-24

"Good work life balance but lower salary compared to competitors"

Current Employee - Software Engineer L5 in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitch full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Good perks. Complementary food, snacks, juices.. 2. Flexible work from home policy.. 3. Great work culture in many orgs 4. Great work life balance..

Cons

1. Salary is lower compared to other competitors in the area. It's difficult to live and work in SF at this salary.. ppl in Seattle get kinda same salary.. if Amazon stock stops appreciating, employees are screwed with such low bar of salary..

Twitch2018-03-21

"Not sure where this company is headed"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Twitch full-time for less than a year

Pros

Twitch is a known player in the industry- working here is like a little badge you get to flaunt. There are great perks, that's for sure. Unlimited PTO (depending on your manager), catered meals, snacks, gaming rooms, monthly massage slots, gym gets reimbursed, flexible work hours, holiday break, etc. The company seems to endorse work life balance at first glance. There are a lot of passionate, smart, and hardworking people at the IC level, reminds you what you're capable of doing every once in awhile- wish those people would get recognition more.

Cons

Leadership is a mess. Many are not in alignment with each other, and their lack of shared vision (which is a company value) trickles down and affects the people actually carrying out daily work. Leaders and those in managerial or positions of power are quick to blame their teams or other teams. Or they don't own up to their lack of management and leadership skills. Goals don't seem to match up between teams, or even within teams, which makes it confusing to get work done. People with lots of experience but no people or team building skills get promoted into management. Poor communication almost everywhere, makes for a really difficult and frustrating work environment. Almost makes me not have fun with gaming anymore because the work environment turns me off. Also, heard employees get away with unprofessional behavior/misconduct. HR and senior management should pay attention to those issues as well- not just productivity and minutes watched or whatever the next KPI is. I don't think the value and image of working at Twitch is worth dealing with the workplace.

Twitch2017-11-28