Uber Senior Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated Sep 30, 2019

5.0
Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi
  1. "Best Onboarding Experience In My Career"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. HR Hiring and Interview Processes are very streamlined 2. Interviews have clear expectations set, i.e. if its for coding or Problem Solving etc. so candidate can focus more on whats being evaluated. 3. Awesome Managers who make sure you get enough exposure and opportunities at the same time take care that you are not stressed with late night meeting/onCall etc. 4. Great Documentation, that helps engineers get... bootstrapped on Uber's Infra very quickly. 5. Everything else like Pool, TT, Free Food is there for people who care about it.

Cons

1. Even though the work is good, ownership of core components lacks , but i think thats changing slowly with addition of new charters at the site

Advice to Management

Nothing Really, keep up the good work, I would really like to see some core contributions being made from Bengaluru site

Uber2019-05-05

"Best Culture"

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Purely tech-enabled company - Brilliant co-workers - Well structured process - Great learning and growth opportunities - Great perks - Coolest office I literally never got a negative vibe while working in the office, all colleagues are highly energetic and understanding.

Cons

- none that I could find

Advice to Management

Keep doing the awesome work that you are doing

Uber2018-05-28
  3. "Awesome job for avid programmers"

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Top notch work quality - Extremely smart colleagues - Very good salary - Awesome incentives & perks - Great growth potential - Travel to San Francisco for training

Cons

- None as such. If there is some issue, top management is very keen to hear and solve it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Uber2017-04-01
  4. "Overall Ok but not amazing"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Uber full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong brand and interesting product

Cons

Company is starting to get slow

Uber2019-09-30

"So glad I chose Uber"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Hiring process: very fast, I got an offer in the same week as my interview and from there it was just a matter of when I want to join - Revamped culture: I don't see any signs of what I use to hear in the media about the bad culture. I see the whole company pushing the new norms and focusing on diversity and inclusion - The mission: Uber has a great potential to letterly move the world - Talent in the company:... I'm yet to see someone who is not well qualified for their role and I have learned so much from my teammates already - Transparency: the management is always eager to hear what employees have to say and respond to all the hard questions that they ask. this definitely was not the case in my previous company when it came to compensations and financials of the company - Compensation: Very competitive and I love the package structure they have with cache and stock bonuses.

Cons

- Uber is doing so much and joining from a startup company was a bit overwhelming - Hearing and seeing people leave the company (which is very normal for companies at this size and age) was a little hard for a new hire such as me

Uber2019-07-24

"Worst internal politics I have ever seen"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Uber full-time for more than a year

Pros

The majority of team members are very skilled, kind, and very good to work with.

Cons

Some of the directors and managers, I worked with, have bad relationship with superiors/subordinates, and they let any pressure or negative feedback go through to the people reporting to them, without taking any responsibility.

Advice to Management

Managers should take responsibility for their own decisions. When managers ask engineers, who report to them, to do some work on projects in a specific directions, managers should not come back and blame the engineers for not doing other things.

Uber2019-08-07
  7. "Awesome culture and strong engineering"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome culture, excellent WLB, strong engineering with lots of interesting issues to solve for our users and for our internal teams.

Cons

Rest-and-vest behavior for lots of senior employees, process for performance/promotion very inefficient, lots of inexperienced managers.

Uber2019-07-15
  8. "Good leadership, hard market"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good leadership turnaround from Dara. Love the company's general treatment of employees.

Cons

It's a low margin market and any new player with money can basically force all players to drop their margins and go all in with the price-war.

Uber2019-07-22
  9. "Cool work, workplace, colleague and benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Awesome work and technology 2. Free food and lots of snacks 3. At par compensation 4. Awesome benefits 5. Awesome leadership team. 6. Great vision 7. Employee discount on Uber and UberEats

Cons

Company doesn't match 401k, hope some day company will look into it.

Advice to Management

Management is taking great effort to transform company's pubic image. I find it great once in life time company. Just keep making it better and don't ruin it. It can truly transform the future of how people get around.

Uber2019-06-19

"One of the best places to work in Europe, in tech"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in Amsterdam

I have been working at Uber full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Background: I’ve worked at top tech companies in Stockholm, Berlin and London before, including Facebook. Uber in Amsterdam is on the top of the range both for engineering culture/excellence and compensation. For expats like myself, the 30% tax ruling and no capital gains tax make compensation especially attractive - especially as Uber grants meaningful stock on top of strong base salary & bonus as part of... the package, unlike many EU startups. But while comp might be something to get people in the door, it’s the tech culture that makes me stay and love working here every day. In Amsterdam, we own and solve global problems from building distributed systems with four 9’s of reliability to architecting scaleable systems that can support new lines of businesses like Freight and JUMP, on top Rides, Driver and Eats. Code ownership here is strong, code quality high - from required and high quality reviews to automated tests, dedicated teams building advanced tooling for all parts of the development process. Planning and architecture is a focus point and democratic: anyone can suggest new initiatives, but these need to be written down clearly and send out to (pretty much) the whole eng org. This means there’s a firehouse of information on what’s going on and even for experienced people like myself, I found my learning accelerate, seeing how other engineers attacked problems. Finally, the reason I enjoy working at Uber over other top places like Facebook is autonomy and impact. Similar to FB, autonomy of teams and individuals is very high. However, unlike FB, the impact per engineer is consistently very high across projects - chances are you will single handedly architect, build and roll out features used by millions, with large financial impact. There are various teams in Amsterdam, internal mobility also being good and it’s easy to move between teams.

Cons

Working with the SF HQ is something that will keep being logistically challenging - in planning phases of projects, meetings after 6pm will be common. As we head towards IPO, we have more processes - as lightweight as they aim to be, they do add up and result in more mandatory annual trainings. As Uber is very transparent internally, the noise levels on email, eng planning and all hands will be high: you need... to learn how to efficiently filter things not currently relevant to you.

Advice to Management

Keep autonomy and impact of teams high, while keeping to recruit the world-class talent we have.

Uber2019-04-04