Ultimate Software Software Engineer(Internship) Reviews

4.7
Ultimate Software CEO Aron Ain
Aron Ain
0 Rating
  1. "Great overall experience"

I worked at Ultimate Software for less than a year

Pros

Great office environment, Free snacks, breakfast and lunch at times

Cons

Put in team to refactor legacy code in tech stacks I never worked with. Had to learn everything fast.

2. "Great Learning Experience"

5.0
    Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship)

I worked at Ultimate Software for less than a year

Pros

Amazing team, benefits and food

Cons

None that I can think of

3. "People First"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Ultimate Software for less than a year

Pros

Best working environment, many benefits towards employees

Cons

Can't really think of any

4. "Hands down just a wonderful internship experience"

I worked at Ultimate Software for less than a year

Pros

-Positive work culture that encourages growth, both within your current team and your own personal trajectory. (I thought the whole People First mantra I kept hearing was just a cheesy corporate slogan but they really do follow through with that idea in every step of the process) -Great communication / feedback, from the hiring process, to onboarding/training, and all through the internship they make sure to touch base with you at regular intervals and see how you're doing (personally as well as technically) -Frequent team outings, as well as department-wide or company-wide events. -Above average compensation in the area, even for internship positions

Cons

- Very difficult to transition from intern to employee without Bachelor's degree, even with great performance reviews (Not really criticizing the position/team/company itself, rather sharing my own personal frustration)

5. "Great Company"

5.0
    Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship)

I worked at Ultimate Software for less than a year

Pros

Loved working there. Felt like a real part of the team. Lots of benefits and fun stuff.

Cons

Maybe a little bit too much work?

6. "Great Experience!"

I worked at Ultimate Software for less than a year

Pros

Good pay in Florida Free Housing Smooth onboarding process Great Community and Company Culture

Cons

Things may go a bit slow sometimes.

7. "Software Engineering Intern"

I worked at Ultimate Software for less than a year

Pros

If you are an undergrad, living is paid and you are apart of a top 5 company to work for.

Cons

Not guaranteed full-time. Most times you have to come back as an intern even after graduation.

Continue reading
  8. "Software Engineering Intern"

I worked at Ultimate Software for less than a year

Pros

Has a great work atmosphere.

Cons

Lower pay then most internships, housing is not that great.

9. "Thoughts from a Summer Intern"

I worked at Ultimate Software for less than a year

Pros

Interns are given meaningful work. Generally, if it isn’t your first internship, you are put on a team and treated like any other engineer. There was a team of mostly freshmen who seemed to be enjoying what they were doing but worked less closely with full-time engineers. Interns are given housing. Everyone seems to have good work-life balance (I never worked weekends or more than 40 hours in a week). If you are full-time, the benefits are really nice. Working from home occasionally is pretty acceptable, and many of their employees are purely remote.

Cons

You seem to have little power to influence what team you get put on as an intern. Weston is not a fun city to be without a car in. Renting is usually cost-prohibitive, so usually only the interns from nearby have cars. If you are from further away, you are at mercy of getting placed in an apartment with somebody who has a car (and is willing to give you rides). They have a practice of hiring people looking for full-time positions as interns due to “headcount limitations” — many new hires I met are actually interns waiting to get full time status (and the benefits that come with it). PTO is “unlimited” which in my opinion is much worse than a traditional days/year banking system.

Continue reading

"Interns get the short end of the stick."

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Ultimate Software

Pros

Amazing coworkers. Most very talented and very open minded. Sexism is rare, and racism even more so. Food trucks and ice cream trucks every once in a while. Nice cafes and food options in the buildings. Work equipment/hardware provided is more than sufficient. Good work life balance. Discounted massages. Laid back environment for pto and psl. People constantly are on vacation. Good experience, you should take it if offered, but if you come in as an intern seek full time employment somewhere else.

Cons

Interns do not get health insurance benefits, 401k, or unlimited PTO. Base pay is about 30k less than what the entry level engineers recieve, but you’re expected to do the same amount of work at the same quality as them. Reorgs common, followed by hiring freezes. They’ll promise to bring you on full time, and then after several semesters still continue to renew your internship instead because new management hasn’t experienced your potential themselves. They won’t tell you this- you’ll find out a few days before your internship ends. Culture revolves around happy hours. They’re constant, and if you want to be in the in-crowd, you’ll need to be willing to drink. This could be a pro for some people, but it’s a con if you’re not into that life or a recovering alcoholic because it’s offered after townhalls as well. Management has no idea what they’re doing after the reorgs. They move people around in the company and assign people to projects that they are underqualified for or inexperienced in. Design Driven Development bottlenecks product development because design resources are pulled in too many directions. CPO likes to remind people that we aren’t needed in the company, and if we don’t like how they do things then we should leave. It establishes a very cult-like environment where people end up trapped because they think Ultimate is the only place for them and that they are lucky to be providing their service to their Ulti-Family, rather than realizing they’re just lining the Chief Officer’s pockets. Nepotism. High entry salary, but not much of a raise after promotions.

Found 11 reviews