UncommonGoods Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

UncommonGoods Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2019

3.8
UncommonGoods CEO David Bolotsky (no image)
David Bolotsky
Pros
  • "There are monthly themed company lunches and snacks, and plenty of clubs you can join by interest to get to know your coworkers better(in 7 reviews)

• "That was while I worked there from November to January as a temp seasonal employee)(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "No full time offers for seasonal employees(in 5 reviews)

• "I applied to work work there again for the 2016 holiday season(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer

I worked at UncommonGoods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Professional environment, lots of opportunities to learn and grow

Cons

No work-life balance during holiday season

UncommonGoods2019-07-09

July 11, 2019Head of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback on your experience working at UncommonGoods and your contribution to our success. We are thrilled that you were able to develop and grow professionally with us. That is our hope for each team member. We know the holiday season is a busy one and we are a company that is always learning. We always look to continuously improve and create a culture of work-life balance, innovation, and accountability.

2. "Fun place to work"

Former Employee - Stock Keeping Lead

I worked at UncommonGoods full-time

Pros

Pay, company lunches, gift cards

Cons

Schedule and not enough hours.

UncommonGoods2019-06-23

June 23, 2019Head of Human Resources

Thank you very much for your feedback and for your contributions at UncommonGoods. We are pleased to hear that you thought our pay was positive as well as the company lunches and gift cards. We apologize that your schedule and hours were not conducive. We have implemented some positive changes recently with a new scheduling tool, allowing for more flexible schedules. We work hard to give our team members hours aligned with the business forecast and volume. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors and hope you will consider applying for our seasonal team opportunities right around the corner!

3. "Great place to work"

I have been working at UncommonGoods full-time

Pros

Great environment for learning, flexible work from home policy, good benefits, above average pay

Cons

Location of the office - pretty far from everything

UncommonGoods2019-05-10

June 11, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to express your great experience here at UncommonGoods. We are glad to hear you value working here and are taking advantage of the many continuous learning opportunities and benefits we offer for our team members.

4. "Fine place"

Former Employee - CSW in New York, NY

I worked at UncommonGoods part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people, good hours and east

Cons

Boring, no opportunity for advancement

UncommonGoods2019-05-19

June 11, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate the sentiments about our team members, but sorry to hear that you did not have an opportunity to take advantage of one of our learning initiatives, or advance in your career here at UncommonGoods. Creating learning and growth opportunities are becoming a priority of ours as we improve and grow, and we will strive to make sure they are more available to our team members.

5. "Great Job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY

I worked at UncommonGoods full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a great company to work for if you can get a job. Tthey really care about their employees. Great pay and good hours.

Cons

Need to update office, more seats in the call center and less testing in the beginning.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

UncommonGoods2019-05-02

May 7, 2019Head of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience working at UncommonGoods. We are thrilled to hear that you had a great experience and we do truly care about our team members. We are always looking at continuous improvement across the business and have already taken steps to improve some of our workspaces as well as reviewing and improving the recruitment screening processes. Our goal is to create a positive candidate experience as well as a positive team member experience. Thank you for your contributions to UncommonGoods!

6. "Packer and supporter"

I worked at UncommonGoods full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good area fast paced work i like it.

Cons

Waking up earlier in morning to go there.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone as an equal

UncommonGoods2019-04-26

June 11, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback on your experience working at UncommonGoods – we are happy to hear that you had a positive experience with us! Treating our team members fairly is something we are fully passionate about, and we are glad the fast-paced work was enjoyable.

7. "Easy work, great pay"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at UncommonGoods full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amenities every where!! Great pay

Cons

80% of management needs to be fired, if you're hired as seasonal you will be treated less than a peasant by the permanent employees, management hides what's really going on from the owner/ CEO, no room for growth.

Advice to Management

Hire better permanent employees and management. The ones that have been there for a long time obviously hate their jobs and will take it out on everyone.

UncommonGoods2019-05-11

June 11, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback on your experience at UncommonGoods. While we are happy to hear you thought that our wages and amenities were desirable, we are sorry to hear your experience was not a positive one with us. One of our initiatives as we continue to grow is team member training, including a variety of topics to build better teams at UncommonGoods. This type of feedback is critical to us building that training, as we are committed to making sure each team member feels respected, comfortable and inspired to work for us.

"Tough to get ahead + poor management"

Former Employee - Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at UncommonGoods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Good intentions and mission -Decent work/life balance (though this is changing) -Smart team members -Supports small artisans

Cons

-Hard to get ahead unless you are a major suck up / drink the kool aid about how UG is "your favorite place to work" -Management is pretty clueless and do not know how to coach team members. If you ask for feedback on what to do differently to get promoted/pay increase, they have no answer. -Lots of people leaving the company and many roles purposely not being filled, so others have to take on huge additional... workloads (and are not compensated for this). -The most minuscule bonuses you could ever imagine - borderline insulting. -Salaries/titles are not commensurate with workloads and responsibilities. You will be doing the work of a much higher title without the recognition or pay. -Acts like a start-up but is not one. Lots of process improvements are needed but could take years.

Advice to Management

Favoritism is a problem that needs to be addressed. Salaries and titles are a huge problem and your team is VERY aware of what's going on. Morale is not great, and it has been ignored for years. If you want to retain your smart and capable team, these issues will need to be resolved.

UncommonGoods2019-04-11

April 16, 2019Head of Human Resources

Thank you for providing your feedback. We appreciate your sentiments and agree that our team members are smart and talented, and we will continue to support our growing community of artisans, as it is an important part of our mission. We sincerely apologize that your time with UncommonGoods wasn't as positive as we would have hoped it would have been. This feedback is critical to us, as we are always working on continuous improvement for each and every team member’s experience. One of our Guiding Principles is “We Are Always Learning” - we are committed to fostering that with our management team, and continue to work on ways to promote healthy, solid relationships between our managers, leaders and team members. We will also continue to look at ways in improving career development for our team members, making sure that each person has the tools, feedback, and support from the leadership team to succeed. We have revised our bonus and compensation programs and we do pay for performance. If you are open to speaking to our Head of HR to provide any other suggestions on how we can make our team and UncommonGoods even better, we would welcome the opportunity. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Thank you for your contributions to UncommonGoods.

9. "Not bad"

I have been working at UncommonGoods part-time

Pros

Good salary for position, nice

Cons

Only seasonal employment, not long

UncommonGoods2019-03-30

April 4, 2019Head of Human Resources

Thank you for providing your feedback about your experiences working at UncommonGoods. Our seasonal team members are valuable to our business, team and culture and we hope that you will consider re-joining our seasonal team when we start our Q4 seasonal hiring again.

10. "Superb Company"

Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at UncommonGoods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great opportunity to learn and engage with different minds in the company. The Founder & CEO is very involved and inspiring and if you are seeking a role where you'd like to work with smart departmental managers who are experts in their field then this is the company you want to be a part of.

Cons

None, keep up the great work :-)

Advice to Management

Many thanks for the opportunity to contribute to the growth of UncommonGoods.

UncommonGoods2019-03-22

March 25, 2019Head of Human Resources

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback! We are so thankful for your contributions to UncommonGoods and helping shape the company and contributing to the great minds! Wishing you all the best!

Found 85 reviews