Unity Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.5
John Riccitiello

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Growing pains after lots of layoffs earlier this year around GDC (in 5 reviews)

• As the company grows that may improve (in 5 reviews)

"stylish unicorn, bleeding edge"

Former Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Unity Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AR/VR, personal growth, HR and employee wellness, luminaries, campus in the heart of SF, culture, diversity. Unity is growing rapidly and probably the best place for people who want to work alongside talented developers and designers

Cons

competitive, global business. expect to work hard and connect with colleagues across the globe (ps glassdoor, the 20 word min is annoying!)

14 Sep 2017 – Unity Technologies

"The best place for people..." We agree, thanks so much for joining us and for the review.

2. "Great company"

Pros

Exciting company - really going places

Cons

Growing pains after lots of layoffs earlier this year around GDC.

14 Sep 2017 – Unity Technologies

Unity is fortunate to be in a time of great growth as we expand our vision and move into new business verticals. With 22 offices worldwide, excellent benefits and the best employees-we are going... More

3. "Good company to work with - trouble times now that IPO is in a near future"

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time

Pros

- Lots of smart people to work with
    - Great work atmosphere
    - Always pushing for new technologies

Cons

- Growth problems
    - Information is not easily accessible
    - People with 5+ years getting fired without short notice because "it makes sense" to move their positions to China. Those people were not even offered other positions...

Advice to Management

Please make sure that all the big shots in San Francisco actually understand what is going on the development teams on all the other offices, before pushing the "great ideas" down on other people's throats. Having the "geniuses" burping ideas all day long and the builders on separate locations is not optimal.

5. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time

Pros

Hackweeks that every programmer can be invited
    Amazingly welcoming and friendly
    The company cares as much about the users than the employees

Cons

Growing too fast and has the same problems with the other companies grow too fast.

"6 month outlook"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Helsinki, Southern Finland (Finland)

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time

Pros

- Great product & services
    - Amazing people

Cons

- American working and business culture affects a lot European teams in a negative way

Advice to Management

- Embrace multiculturism and allow European keeping do things European way

7. "Do your best work at Unity!"

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mid-size company with exciting growth plan and market share
    Fantastic facilities, lunches and benefits.
    I have been given you the opportunity to work on a variety of things that interest and challenge me and have a growth plan in place for future opportunities here.
    Unity is a technology company not just for people who are crazy about games.

Cons

Very few-people are working hard to make sure that we have a great experience internationally without too many hiccoughs as we grow.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work-love the transparent communication and thoughtful, mature decision making.

15 Sep 2017 – Unity Technologies

Thanks for your review. We're thrilled to be exploring new verticals, but gaming is always close to our hearts! Employee empowerment to do great work is at our core and we're working hard to... More

"Not just a company but a community of awesome people"

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands down for best place i have ever worked and that is when i have industry experience of 12+ year. I have worked at pretty good companies around the world but none of them matches to Unity. You can find companies with free lunch, unlimited stocks and many other benefits but what makes Unity unique is not just that.

1. The culture is great. People care for each other. They want to be successful as group and not as an individual.
    2. Everyone strongly believes in democratising the game development. For everyone their game developers/users are most important.
    3. Very very innovative place. Everyone is doing something new everyday.
    4. People own stuff. No middle management. Everyone takes decision and feel empowered.
    5. Awesome benefits and great office location. You will get opportunities to travel if in right team.
    6. CEO and his leadership is very humble and transparent. Communication is really good.
    7. Its going to be a pretty successful company if everyone keep doing the right thing.

Cons

Not anything i can think of.

Advice to Management

When we grow then we will have to make sure that we do not compromise with Unity's value and culture. Hire right people, embrace them who are already contributing from long time.

14 Sep 2017 – Unity Technologies

Thank you so much for the fantastic review! We're thrilled to have you as part of the team. Our executive team prioritize our culture and maintaining what's made Unity awesome for the last... More

"Exciting place to work!"

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing product vision trajectory, great benefits with fully stock kitchens and daily free lunches. I definitely feel spoiled working here, all while being part of a disruptive and exciting industry.

Cons

Upper management seems to be currently shifting/changing, and these moves affect the concentration and focus of their direct teams.

Advice to Management

The pieces seem to be in place for hyper growth, so at the moment I have no advice to management.

14 Sep 2017 – Unity Technologies

Thanks for your review. This is definitely an exciting time to be at Unity. We're happy to have you here. Keep doing great work and we'll keep spoiling you!

"I highly recommend!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great values
    - Amazingly welcoming and friendly
    - The company cares as much about the users than the employees
    - Super interesting challenges
    - Modern work and lifestyle (can work remotely 2 days a week, or more if needed)
    - You're free to use whatever you want: Windows, Mac or Linux, with Visual Studio, XCode, CLion, Vim ... you name it!
    - Hackweeks where every programmers are invited at the same place
    - Lunch is offered every day!!

Cons

- Lots of web tools spread everywhere, and sometime not the most useful ones
    - The command lines aren't really well thought for the developer, it's hard to remember each and every ones
    - Some workflow processes can be very long: one week or two to land a PR in the main branch

Advice to Management

The studio is growing rapidly (which is great), but it might be hard to keep the same atmosphere after a certain limit, that will be the next big challenge!

11. "Best job I've had (so far)"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- A lot of people have mentioned it so it doesn't bear repeating, but lots of great benefits and parks, including lots of holidays, vacation, catered lunches, free snacks/drinks/beer in the kitchen, and more. It's important to point out that this is even in Seattle, where those types of benefits are very uncommon.
    - Culture of pride in work, and strong commitment to doing great things. Important to point out this does NOT come with insane overtime or overwork. There is occasional crunch, but never backbreaking.
    - Huge amounts of autonomy, you're generally trusted to do whatever you were hired to do.
    - It's hard to compete with the great folks in the game industry. These people are incredibly passionate about what they do and genuinely care about making something great, but more importantly supporting each other.
    - Location is pretty smart, right near a bunch of other game companies in the region. Some people complain it's not in Seattle, but being in Bellevue makes more sense for a few reasons.

Cons

- There is some travel, and there will be lots of communication over slack or whatever methods needed across timezones. I don't mind, but it's taken awhile to get used to.
    - In Bellevue, at least, we're on an okay health plan, but it has a lot of things it doesn't cover due to the size of the pool and the company. The premiums and deductibles are fair, but a lot of things typically covered by other large plans are considered purely elective. As the company grows that may improve.
    - The company is evolving into one that provides services rather than simply product licenses. It's a smart strategy, but it's taking a long time to get some people on board. For people hired specifically to deliver these things, it's hard to overcome some cultural hurdles. But again as the company grows this gets better.

Advice to Management

- Mostly? Keep up the good work! Strive to maintain this great culture as the company continues to expand.
    - My only suggestion is to make sure to keep up with the inflating cost of living in some of the tech-heavy locations. Adding perks is nice, but you will lose talent if people end up having to choose between their dream job here and paying their bills if they rent keeps going up the way it has.

18 Sep 2017 – Unity Technologies

Thanks for writing such a considerate and in-depth review! With offices in 20+ locations worldwide we strive to provide excellent benefits to all of our employees and make Unity a progressive and... More