University of Derby UK "great place" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

University of Derby UK Employee Reviews about "great place"

Updated 1 Aug 2019

2.8
University of Derby UK Chairman & Pro Chancellor Chris Hughes
Chris Hughes
Pros
Cons
  • "If a member of the team leaves, their work is offloaded on to the others in the team and it takes a while to recruit a new staff member(in 4 reviews)

• "Many academics are trapped and want to leave but can’t due to family, location, state of HE generally etc(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "great place"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to learn"

Current Employee - MSC Student

I have been working at University of Derby UK full-time

Pros

Great place to study and better oneself as a person

Cons

Online learning needs a lot of self discipline and hard work

Advice to Management

No advice to note as yet

University of Derby UK2019-08-01
  2. "Academic"

I have been working at University of Derby UK part-time

Pros

Great place to work with a great vision and ambition

Cons

Some campuses are located quite a distance from the main library but there is a good shuttle bus

University of Derby UK2019-04-15
  3. "Employee Reviews"

Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Derby, England

I have been working at University of Derby UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's challenging but a great place to work

University of Derby UK2019-01-10
  4. "Derby"

I worked at University of Derby UK

Pros

It's a great place to work

Cons

There are no cons here

University of Derby UK2018-01-22

"Admin"

I have been working at University of Derby UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic atmosphere. It's challenging but a great place to work. You feel as if you are making a difference to people's lives. Very supportive managers that want to listen and help to make positive changes in an ever changing environment.

Cons

None that comes to mind

University of Derby UK2017-09-25

"Useful and interesting - but difficult to get on..."

Current Contractor - Senior Administration Assistant in Derby, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at University of Derby UK for more than a year

Pros

Depending which area you worked, this could be a great place or a complete nightmare. You are allowed to apply for secondments to try out a different post for a period that varied from 6 months to a couple of years. There's lots of training available if you need/ask for it and other self-development channels to follow too.

Cons

Politics... Generally way too much of it. I saw a lot of people using who they knew, rather than what they knew, as their chance of making their career develop further and leaving some really capable people behind. Lots of examples of 'Queen Bees' demanding more than their fair share of attention and making life unpleasant or difficult for others - and these people were not senior in any way, shape or form! I attended interviews as practice for me where I knew in advance that the job had been 'promised' to other candidates in advance... In some areas, managers got away with things that they would have been sacked for outright in the private sector...projects managed badly, budgets and timescales shot out of the water and/or lots of time off with 'stress' and they still kept their jobs! Also, there is a terrible split between teaching staff and those who were non-educational - a real 'them and us' mentality that's bad for any organisation...

Advice to Management

Time to look behind the political correctness curtain and really 'see' what's going on! Also, remember that in any machine, the large cogs need the smaller machinery to function correctly!

University of Derby UK2014-11-28